Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be the first to admit that I'm a newb when it comes to firearms. So I'm sure I'll catch some flack on here, but what ever. I'm looking into purchasing my first firearm. I'm really leaning towards the Beretta Cx4. I'm just not sure what caliber to get. It is gonna be mainly for defense and maybe some hunting. I'm just looking for a few pluses and minuses with each caliber it comes in. Hopefully some people that actually own one will help me out.

·
May *** help us all.
258 Posts
IMO the CX4 is a solid gun, but as a first firearm, IMO it doesn't really do anything particularly well. If you want a small game hunting gun, get a .22LR. Handguns are the easiest to cart through the home and operate one-handed, plus it may give you ccw options down the road. Shotguns are the ultimate in HD versatility, and the carbine (.223 or .308) is my personal go-to defense gun.

SO IMO the CX4 doesn't fit any of those niches very well... if you wanna shoot a handgun cartridge, grab a flashlight and the handgun and go to work. But if I mean business, I'm grabbing something with some more oomph.

My vote is ditch the idea of trying to do everything with your first gun. Get comfortable with shooting and it won't be long before you need a bigger safe. And please, get some formal training and be safe.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Nothing wrong with a pistol caliber carbine, but from what I have seen the CX4 isn't my first choice. Ruger used to make a 9mm carbine, a 40cal carbine, and even a 44 magnum carbine. Those are good "lasting" choices. Marlin used to produce a 9mm camp carbine and a 45 acp camp carbine. They are good too. All are only available used,but imho are better choices. The hi-point carbines are cheap, but work well. For a first gun a cheapo 995 9 mm carbine is a really nice choice. Great warranty support if you beat it up, and small price. Also keep in mind lever guns like the 357 marlins. The Beretta looks really nice, but none of those I know who own them have been impressed.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have to respectfully disagree with the reverend. I own a CX4, and while .40 S&W is hardly ideal for anything other than home defense (and even then a shotgun is probably better), I can't fault the gun itself. It is extremely reliable, ergonomic, compact for easy handling, and extremely easy to field strip and clean (I can have it stripped literally within seconds). If a carbine in 9mm, .40 or .45 is what you're looking for, you can't get much better than the CX4. The only thing I might recommend over it is the HK UCP, but that is also larger and prohibitively expensive.

·
+Adcock
3,102 Posts
It is a solid platform that breaks down easy, is super compact and you can match it with (2) different Beretta pistols.

Out of the 9mm, .40 and .45, for your first gun go with the 9mm. It will allow for you to hunt small game up to 'hares' in size. You can also get a lot more practice in since the round itself is very cheap.

Keep in mind that the 9mm, even a ++p round, will not get much benefit out of the carbine length barrel. Somewhere in the vicinity of 100fps +/-25 or so. You will have an accuracy advantage and it is not like the 9mm is a slouch of a round for home defense.

With that said, the guys above me are right. It is much better for you to go the .22lr route and match that with a pistol for your first guns. You can practice even more than you can with the 9mm, the guns can be gotten for much cheaper and there is a greater variety of styles to choose from. You can also hunt just about the same things that the 9mm will allow for you to.

When you move up from .22lr there are a ton of choices in the intermediate power range. The Cx4 is a good choice, level guns in .357/.38 super, .30 carbine, etc.

This lets you move up the power scale and gets you used to more recoil and improve your overall marksmanship.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another route I was considering for a pistol cal carbine was the Jr carbine. But I know those are still "fairly" new and haven't seen too much on them yet. I have def thought about the hi point as well. They seem pretty reliable and are inexpensive. So no matter what I get, I might get a hi point as well for a back up or just something else to shoot.

·
+Adcock
3,102 Posts
There are a few solutions out there for you to consider including the rimmed cartridges (.357 and .44mag) for added power. You can also go .38/.44 special for a reduced loading.

That is of course if you like wheel pistols and lever/pump rifles.

For the semi crowd there are not a ton of solutions out there however there are enough. You can do custom AR builds for all of the rimless auto cartridges.

·
Banned
12,043 Posts
Craig craig craig. You have inadvertenly opened the big can o' caliber debate. We keep trying hide it becase we're short on lids. But they keep finding it!

The CX4 is a great gun. I don't know why people bash it.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
The main advantage of a pistol caliber carbine is that it can share magazines and ammo with your primary sidearm.

Having said that, the Kel Tec Sub 2000 can do the same thing for much cheaper. You can buy it in several different "flavors" that will accept Beretta, Glock or Sig magazines.

If I were getting a 9mm carbine I would be looking at a Kel Tec Sub 2000 that accepted the same magazines as my primary sidearm.

·
+Adcock
3,102 Posts
The Beretta is more accurate at range than the SUB2000. It is more expensive and not as compact of course. Just that the Cx4 is a more accurate platform.

·
Layman
2,873 Posts
I don't own a CX4 but I have held one, and they feel solid as a rock. I would have bought one if they took glock mags...

.40 isn't a very good choice for deer btw. you want something that is going to drop them preferably close to where you shot it.

there are many guns that fit your defense / minor hunting specifications.

I would try to shoot some of the guns you like at a gun store. then decide.

In my opinion, the best option for self defense is a quality made handgun.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I'd buy one if....I already had a matching Beretta pistol like the PX4- 17 rounds of 9mm, with the carbine and a pistol you have a very versatile system for short and medium range, plus ammo is readily available. Being a newbie the lower recoil of the 9mm round will be better for you.
This system however is mainly for defense/urban survival- hunting with any of those calibers is not ideal.
If you can only afford 1 firearm and this has been said by many people in many forums- it needs to be a shotgun, either a 410 or a 12 gauge. All the different load outs for the shells make this weapon perfect for any condition; defense/survival, hunting small and large game.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
It is a solid platform that breaks down easy, is super compact and you can match it with (2) different Beretta pistols.

Out of the 9mm, .40 and .45, for your first gun go with the 9mm. It will allow for you to hunt small game up to 'hares' in size. You can also get a lot more practice in since the round itself is very cheap.

Keep in mind that the 9mm, even a ++p round, will not get much benefit out of the carbine length barrel. Somewhere in the vicinity of 100fps +/-25 or so. You will have an accuracy advantage and it is not like the 9mm is a slouch of a round for home defense.

With that said, the guys above me are right. It is much better for you to go the .22lr route and match that with a pistol for your first guns. You can practice even more than you can with the 9mm, the guns can be gotten for much cheaper and there is a greater variety of styles to choose from. You can also hunt just about the same things that the 9mm will allow for you to.

When you move up from .22lr there are a ton of choices in the intermediate power range. The Cx4 is a good choice, level guns in .357/.38 super, .30 carbine, etc.

This lets you move up the power scale and gets you used to more recoil and improve your overall marksmanship.
Actually the chrono results I have seen listed show about 200-250 fps increase from a 16inch barrel, nothing to sneeze at to be sure, 15-20 percent more power.
9 mm can take down much larger than hares, so long as you are close enough, deer have been taken under 100 yards. Whether or not this is a good idea is open to debate, but under survival conditions, that debate is moot.
The marlin nine shares mags with 59 series S and W semi's and the 45 camp carbine shares with the 1911 series of pistols.
The ruger's in 9 and 40 share mags with their p-series pistols as well.
keltec makes a pistol caliber carbines that accept a variety of pistol mags.
Hipoints are available cheap.

They all work well as survival items, I just prefer the marlin or ruger for price/quality/accuracy, and the hi-point as purely a survival tool. The Beretta is a well made gun, to each their own.

·
Proverbs 26:4
2,112 Posts
I'd buy one if....I already had a matching Beretta pistol like the PX4- 17 rounds of 9mm, with the carbine and a pistol you have a very versatile system for short and medium range, plus ammo is readily available. Being a newbie the lower recoil of the 9mm round will be better for you.
This system however is mainly for defense/urban survival- hunting with any of those calibers is not ideal.
If you can only afford 1 firearm and this has been said by many people in many forums- it needs to be a shotgun, either a 410 or a 12 gauge. All the different load outs for the shells make this weapon perfect for any condition; defense/survival, hunting small and large game.
That is what I did. Matched a CX4 with a PX4 in 9mm. I think it is a great self defense / home defense system in an urban to semi rural environment. The CX4 is a solid carbine and is quite accurate out to at least 100 yards. As far as recoil it is minimal but it does, surprisingly, kick harder than my mini14 - probably because it is so light.

You're right it is not ideal for hunting but for general purpose defense it will do the job. As for a good hunting and defense combo I would go with a 20 gauge with a spare slug barrel. 12 ga on small game leaves a mess most of the time and 20 ga is still good for defense. A 20 ga pump shotgun is a versatile firearm capable of feeding and defending you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts