Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Gravity is a Theory.
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So at the local gun store today, im looking around for my first pistol. While there I pick up this beautiful hand gun, the Beretta 92.... It fits my hand like a glove, the shop owner is a glock fan boy (im not bias this is my first pistol), but didnt have anything bad to say about it. Its been with the US military for a long time now, I understand its starting to be phased out in different branches. That all being said, im sure alot of you on here own one or have some insight into this gun.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, this gun was love as soon as I picked it up however, I dont know why but it just "fit" my hand.

-G

·
Registered
253 Posts
I had one for years! In fact I would still have it if it weren't for the crackhead neighbor.

Accurate, soft shooting, easy to maintain. That thing was awesome! I have been looking for another service pistol lately. I am leaning toward a Glock, but I saw a 92 at the gun store for a good price. It was tough not to jump back in to the Beretta world! In fact I may still get another one. Who says you only have to have 1 pistol!

If you like that gun and it fits your hand then I highly recommend you get it!

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,677 Posts
Ahh the Beretta Brick, if I recall from Armors school has 32 moving parts.Am forced into using one at work but you will not find one in my house.

Reactions: hank2222 and Goosed

·
Geronimo!
4,053 Posts
Heck ... going to avoid telling my history with Beretta and what I was privileged to be a part of while stationed in Italy in the early 80s ... but I've been a fan since. Got a couple and they are fine fine weapons.

Easy to field strip and clean. Very reliable. High capacity, 15, 17 and now 20 round OEM mags now available from MecGar. Battle tested for a longer period of time now than any other pistol in the history of the world.

Accurate enough - as good as any loose tolerance factory version of anything would be expected to be, but can be fine tuned to be exceptional. Ernie Langdon is not doing them any more but I was lucky enough to have one of mine done by Ernie, including a bushing and trigger job, and it is quite frankly one of the most accurate semis I own.

It's strange that you post this because I had mentioned something about it in another post somewhere about +P ammo ...

http://www.defensereview.com/the-true-story-of-the-beretta-m9-pistol/

The last paragraph of the "Conclusions" section tells it all.

I say, if it fits your hand like a glove then it was made for you and you should go with your gut instincts. I wouldn't part with mine easily, that's for sure.

I carry a SIG DAK SAS these days, in 357 SIG, simply because I can afford to these days. But I carried a Beretta for years and would again without blinking an eye.

If you like the Beretta, you may want to spend some time over on the Beretta forums ... there are some good folks over there:

http://www.berettaforum.net/vb/

For the sake of choices, and since you are obviously like me, you like the feel of the 92F in your hand, I would also suggest you check out the SIG P226, P229 or P239 if you can afford them. I do love the P226s as well. Both great handguns.

I have no idea what a new 92 is going for these days? The first one I bought as a civilian in '87 was Italian made with walnut grips and I got it for around $500.00. The next one I bought around '95, the one Ernie tweaked for me, I think I paid like $475.00 for it and it cost me another $250.00 to have Ernie work on it. The last one I bought around '99 or 2000 is the stainless and I remember getting it for a great deal around $575.00.

·
Wanderer
3,269 Posts
For some years our issue was the Beretta 96D, about the same thing as a 92 only in .40 rather than 9mm.
I decided I would not like it when I heard it was coming. After shooting it alot, I changed my mind. It's a good, accurate, durable gun. It's also heavy, we still call it a boat anchor, and the magazine lips are fragile, nearly all malfunctions were traced to the magazines. Oh, yeah, don't use Shooter's Choice to clean it as it takes off the bluing. That was under severe usage and a lot of shooting, though. For the average shooter, it should be fine for generations. If you're happy with the way it feels in your hand, go with it.
enjoy.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
See if it is Made in Italy, whether it has 2 dot or 3 dot sights and look closely at the dust cover in front of the trigger guard. Newer ones have a beefed up frame around th take down lever that I don't like.

I much prefer the older models with the more streamlined dust cover instead of the stuff they make now.

Beretta's made in Italy are uniformly high quality guns. Stainless Italian guns command premiums.

Beretta's are somewhat outclassed by a Glock or Sig but they are still good guns. SgtBooker is right, you need big hands for them.

Novak makes great sights for them and Wolff has a perfect fix for the trigger return spring.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=16498/Product/BERETTA_TRIGGER_CONVERSION_UNIT

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=25980/Product/BERETTA_92_CARRY_REAR_SIGHT

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Gallo Pazzesco;1449892 It's strange that you post this because I had mentioned something about it in another post somewhere about +P ammo ... [url said:
http://www.defensereview.com/the-true-story-of-the-beretta-m9-pistol/[/url]

The last paragraph of the "Conclusions" section tells it all.

i did hear a diff story than the one that was letting out at the time in the press for i was in the m.p at the time and doing training with a lot of diff groups when we where head down south for the diff tours on the drug war front and it came down the road about navy spec war guys running super hot subgun ammo in the pistol along with the amount of round count this guys where putting on the pistol at the time ..for some reason why the navy supply officer got into his head that why order two brands of ammo one for the mp5 set up and one for the handguns when you could order one brand and save money for the navy ..he was quietly let go after the whole thing died down ..

everyone knows that to get the mp5 to run right you need a hot loaded round to make it run right ...and if you remember about the time the slide failures happend.. the diff branchs of the U.S, military they came out the memo about useing american made ammo only in the beretta no Europen or anyother makers but american made ammo .. ..for we load our 9mm cal ball to a diff level of the sammi pressure the other country use for the standard 9mm cal ball round and you could tell a diff between a american round and a other country round .. ..

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
First let me say that if the Beretta fits you, get it. There's nothing wrong with them that can't be easily fixed.

The Italian models are preferred but the "American" models can have the plastic parts swapped out with steel parts.

For a factual timeline and info on the slide cracking/breakage issue, go over to the GUN ZONE and do some reading.

My first duty piece was a 96 and it is still a favorite. I've had half a dozen 92's of every style and would have everyone of them again. While large and "chunky", they're easy on the hand and are some of the most accurate out of the box duty guns you'll find.

And all this from a confirmed 1911 user.

·
In a pile of brass
3,775 Posts
if your looking for a military service record....

Look into the 1911 (im not saying BUY IT, im saying look into it)

it was in service from 1911 to '86 i think???

If you have small hands, you'll have trouble holding it. But it fits mine perfectly.

I got a molded rubber grip that goes over the front of the wooden grip, Works like a charm.

***Before yelling "Your finger is on the trigger!!!!", i want to say i took the mag out, racked the slide twice, then looked in the barrel. It was clear beyond the shadow of a doubt.

·
Geronimo!
4,053 Posts
See if it is Made in Italy, whether it has 2 dot or 3 dot sights and look closely at the dust cover in front of the trigger guard. Newer ones have a beefed up frame around th take down lever that I don't like.

I much prefer the older models with the more streamlined dust cover instead of the stuff they make now.

Beretta's made in Italy are uniformly high quality guns. Stainless Italian guns command premiums.

Beretta's are somewhat outclassed by a Glock or Sig but they are still good guns. SgtBooker is right, you need big hands for them.

Novak makes great sights for them and Wolff has a perfect fix for the trigger return spring.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=16498/Product/BERETTA_TRIGGER_CONVERSION_UNIT

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=25980/Product/BERETTA_92_CARRY_REAR_SIGHT
AK, you're a Beretta fan? Who would'uv thunk it? I thought everyone in Alaska carried 44 Mags, 500 S&Ws and 460 XVRs?

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
It was my dream gun until I realized how many better guns there are out there. There is nothing wrong with it. I probably wouldn't sell my Beretta, but I wouldnt buy another one.

I can take a kimber 1911 and put all 7 shots in a space the size of a half dollar at 15 yards. With a beretta 92, the rounds scatter.

I agree with you about the fit, though. The beretta feels awesome in my hand. As a matter of fact, after each shot is almost as if it gets tighter in your hand (in a good way).

If you like it, buy it, but there are better options out there. If you want something super accurate I'd pick something else.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
AK, you're a Beretta fan? Who would'uv thunk it? I thought everyone in Alaska carried 44 Mags, 500 S&Ws and 460 XVRs?
I love the 92F series, except for the newer ones made since 2000 or so. The Elite II is especially nice.

I rarely carry my 44 mag. My outdoor handgun is a Glock 20/29 but I frequently just carry my 1911 in 45 ACP with a 230 FMJTC loaded to 1000 fps.

No handgun gives me comfort against a bar. Benelli M1 with 3" Brenneke's has always done the trick, no matter how big he is. My rifle is a 376 Steyr, which is the perfect cartridge for all around big game in Alaska. I load 300 grain solids to about 2200 fps.

·
Prepared in NH
12,880 Posts
So at the local gun store today, im looking around for my first pistol. While there I pick up this beautiful hand gun, the Beretta 92.... It fits my hand like a glove, the shop owner is a glock fan boy (im not bias this is my first pistol), but didnt have anything bad to say about it. Its been with the US military for a long time now, I understand its starting to be phased out in different branches. That all being said, im sure alot of you on here own one or have some insight into this gun.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, this gun was love as soon as I picked it up however, I dont know why but it just "fit" my hand.

-G
Congratulations on a great pistol.

Check this site out: http://www.berettaforum.net/vb/

(I have a 92FS - Vertec with M3 laser/light attached to rail. It is my nightstand gun)

The world of Beretta 92's = there are quite a few variations: http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg07-e.htm

·
Registered
92 Posts
I bought a Model 92 back before it was the standard military issue handgun, shot umpteen thousand rounds through it, really liked it. I would still have it today if I hadn't fallen out of love with all things 9mm and gone exclusively to .45ACP. If you like it, buy it.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.