Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Geronimo!
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have one? I am fortunate enough to have two. One swat black with collapsing stock and one in desert cammo. I love'em. Finest semi autos ever made imho.

I installed an extended mag tube on the desert cammo and the swat already came with the long tube.

If you own one, what do you think of them? Anything you would change?

If you do not own one, do you have any questions? Thinking about buying one?

Anyone tried one of the new Mossey 930 spx(s)? I hear they are trying to give the Benellies a run for their money?

My only complaint is that both of my M4s do not function to their full potential unless I am feeding them full load 3" mags.

Calamity Jane bought me the desert cammo for my birthday last year. Best birthday present ever.

Reactions: blackwolf911

·
Registered
320 Posts
The M4 is one of my favorite weapons, period! I don't currently own one, but I used them a lot while I was in the Marine Corps.

One of my buddies bought one last year. The only issue I've ever had with them, was on his gun, after he added the extended mag tube. It would never load the last shell in the tube. He replaced the spring 2 or 3 times before the problem was fixed. Not sure if it was because of the specific brand of mag tube extension he used, or what? But like I said, other than that, I've never had a problem with them.

·
Geronimo!
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The M4 is one of my favorite weapons, period! I don't currently own one, but I used them a lot while I was in the Marine Corps.

One of my buddies bought one last year. The only issue I've ever had with them, was on his gun, after he added the extended mag tube. It would never load the last shell in the tube. He replaced the spring 2 or 3 times before the problem was fixed. Not sure if it was because of the specific brand of mag tube extension he used, or what? But like I said, other than that, I've never had a problem with them.
Thanks exile27. I would really like to hear more from Soldiers and Marines who used them in the sand box or ganny. Did you use the desert cammo model over there ... with or without the collapsing telescopic stock?

What was the milspec ammo y'all used in them? I've heard 2 3/4" from some and 3" mag from others all with 00 buck? Which sling are y'all using? Sure would appreciate some first hand accounts of how they are being deployed.

I took a picture of the desert cammo my wife bought for me for my birthday last year. Where is that thing ....

·
Geronimo!
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's like $6,000 worth of guns in your car. Lock the door!
:) ... that's funny.

They are in his Classic car "parked" in his gun vault....
LMAO!

M4 is my next gun purchase :D:
You will not regret it IH8PEPL. As fast as you can pull the trigger they'll send double-ought downrange effortlessly and with very little recoil. They are absolutely terrific combat type shotguns. Well designed in every aspect.

·
Dust of the Earth
757 Posts
The only thing nicer than getting one for your birthday, is having a wife that gives you firearms as gifts. Uza lucky man Gallo.:thumb: I'm a little heavy on the shotgun side of my collection, but I was thinking of getting an auto eventually. I tried a 930 and liked it, but they haven't been around long enough for me to trust the reputation. Kinda leaning towards a Saiga because I have one in .223 and like the platform. Do you think the Benelli is a better choice? How and why?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Thanks exile27. I would really like to hear more from Soldiers and Marines who used them in the sand box or ganny. Did you use the desert cammo model over there ... with or without the collapsing telescopic stock?

What was the milspec ammo y'all used in them? I've heard 2 3/4" from some and 3" mag from others all with 00 buck? Which sling are y'all using? Sure would appreciate some first hand accounts of how they are being deployed.

I took a picture of the desert cammo my wife bought for me for my birthday last year. Where is that thing ....

I did 2 years with a Marine Security Forces unit, and 2 years as a grunt. We used them daily while I was with the Security Force, and got a lot of range time with them. We always used 2 3/4" shells, and we used both 00 and slugs. While I was in Iraq, I never actually used the M4. But all our doc's carried them, and we had a few that were used for vehicle check points and breaching. I don't know the specific brand, but we always carried them with 3-point slings. And all the M4's I ever saw/used in the Marine Corps were black with the telescoping stock.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Finest semi autos ever made imho.

My only complaint is that both of my M4s do not function to their full potential unless I am feeding them full load 3" mags.
Why exactly are they the "finest semi autos ever made" if they don't work all that great unless you're feeding them 3" mags? Any POS will work with that kind of power cycling it.

Probably a dumb question, but have you really, really cleaned them? I mean totally strip it and absolutely soaked it in solvent? They ship with that anti-rust crap that prohibits the semi-auto action from working well with lighter loads.

Anyone tried one of the new Mossey 930 spx(s)? I hear they are trying to give the Benellies a run for their money?
Personally I'd say that an FN Herstal SLP is a more reasonable comparison.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
M4's are definitely the pimp daddy of all combat shotguns. Very simple, few moving parts, HD construction throughout... But DANG they are heavy loaded up. I just prefer the M1 and a bit stiffer recoil in exchange for the lighter, faster handling, easier to carry system but if you are looking for the absolute best HD shotgun, the Benelli M4 is it. Winchester (FN), Mossy and Remington simply don't compare interms of quality, durability and design. The M4 can go 25k without any critical parts replacement.

·
Geronimo!
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why exactly are they the "finest semi autos ever made" if they don't work all that great unless you're feeding them 3" mags? Any POS will work with that kind of power cycling it.

Probably a dumb question, but have you really, really cleaned them? I mean totally strip it and absolutely soaked it in solvent? They ship with that anti-rust crap that prohibits the semi-auto action from working well with lighter loads.
Fair question. But when I typed the bit about not reaching their full potential without the big loads ... it did not mean they fail to function when using the lighter loads ... with the exception of the cheap target 7.5 and #8 stuff from Wally World. I wouldn't trust them for that but then again, nothing will reliable cycle that stuff 100% of the time except for pumps, side by sides and over and unders.

What I meant with my comment was that the M4 is meant to be pounded ... so it does not reach its full potential unless you are pounding the crap out of them - which I happen to like. I feel good sending 3" double-ought down range as fast as I can pull the trigger knowing it'll keep going bang. It eats up the 2 3/4" stuff too, in double-ought, #1, #3, etc. And it is the finest slug gun I own in terms of accuracy. But me personally, I like feeding them the 3" mag loads - most of my own recipe.

And yeah, I've really really broken both of mine all the way down and cleaned them ... being ex-military we do stuff like that with all of our firearms. I love the design and the anti corrosion finish ... it's some kind of teflon or something. Mine came with bottles of teflon oil made specifically for them so I use it as the final coat once all the cleaning is done. I pull pistons, springs, extractors, etc., after a hard day at the range ... we live in a sand pit every bit as dusty as overseas where our combat troops are now. The thing always goes boom no matter how badly I abuse mine and I am prone to abusing my tactical stuff more than most. Now, if you are talking about the cosmolene like stuff that was on it when it shipped ... that came off about five cleanings and 2,000 rounds ago on the desert cammo and about fifty cleanings and 10,000 rounds ago on the swat black ... which I bought used.

Personally I'd say that an FN Herstal SLP is a more reasonable comparison.
I wouldn't disagree if the SLP was something new that was being touted as the lower price point equal to the M4, which it is not. It is lower priced, yes, but I am not sure it is an equal, speaking of the Mossey that it.

The SLP is sweet, no doubt about it, and most consider it the tweener between the two mentioned ... better fit and finish than the SPX and less expensive than the M4. But the thing I like about the M4, in terms of reviews and feedback, was that they are practically indestructible and can go upwards of 30,000 rounds with no problems ... firing hot loads. I like that a lot.

I'm going to go ahead and say this about the SLP too. First of all, I am a big fan of FN. They employ a lot of people, many of my friends around here. And they do a fantastic job on our service weapons. But when it comes to the SLP there were some issues when I investigated just a bit. Number one was poor customer service where the SLP was concerned. Number two, they have the same problems firing the lighter loads as the M4 if you get one with the heavy pistons. Number 3, and again I want to emphasize that they are made right here not far from my home, the SLP is considered the one market that FN probably shouldn't have tried to compete in because the Mosseys and Benellies totally dominate ... and subsequently, because of poorer than expected sales, there is little aftermarket offerings for them, even fewer spare parts just incase you needed them, and for that matter, unless you get lucky and catch them right after they've made a run over there you'll have problems finding one in the first place a lot of times.

Anyways ... just saying, since you asked.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Winchester (FN), Mossy and Remington simply don't compare interms of quality, durability and design. The M4 can go 25k without any critical parts replacement.
I'd like to see a respectable third party source that claims this, and also claims that the FN cannot. I own an FN, it's much beefier than anything I've seen on a Remington or Mossy. I'm not even sure what you could break during a test like that other than possibly the gas piston if you mismatched the ammo for long periods of time, such as firing ultra-heavy magnums with the "light" piston instead of the "heavy" one, but this isn't exactly a "major" part as the Benelli claims, and not counting unscrewing the tube, you could literally replace one in like 10 seconds and the worst it can do is crack, and it will keep working even if it does.

I'm not even sure that 25,000 rounds without breaking on a shotgun is really even worth bragging about. Competitive skeet shooters regularly rack up shot counts into the hundreds of thousands on the same gun. I realize most of those are not semi-autos, but still. Even if it is, I can't even find where this is officially claimed... it's on the wikipedia page, but the source is a foreign language and gives a 404 not found error.

Now, the AA-12, with the ability to fire 10,000 rounds in the desert without even being cleaned however...

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Number two, they have the same problems firing the lighter loads as the M4 if you get one with the heavy pistons.
Well first of all, and you probably know this, but just to be accurate... you don't really choose one with the heavy pistons, they all come with two pistons, most people just use the light piston and only switch when they plan on going turkey or duck hunting and will be shooting really heavy magnums. You can change it in like 10 seconds not counting the time it takes to unscrew the tube, probably could change one in less than 60 seconds if you tried.

But otherwise... mine works with light loads just fine, I shoot the ultra-cheap light Wallyworld loads at the skeet range all the time. I have heard numerous reports that the heavy piston works with light loads as well.

You don't really need to use the heavy piston anyway for most loads, most people are perfectly happy with typical 9-pellet 00 buck or a typical 1 1/4 oz slug being the heaviest they'll use and that's well within the range of the light piston, no need for the heavy one at all but I'm sure either would cycle with this ammo.

Most tactical use simply does not need the heavy piston so unless you're dead set on switching back and forth between ultra-heavy and ultra-light loads on the fly quite often, it's just not an issue, I don't see why anybody would need to do this.

I don't see the two pistons as being a disadvantage because the light one keeps it cycling fast with most loads, and the heavy one keeps you from damaging something if you feel the need for real heavy loads.

·
Geronimo!
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am of the opinion, and this is strictly my humble opinion, that while other shotguns are just fine, I've got plenty of them, but when it comes to just being able to take a licking and keep on ticking trouble free round after round after round ... the M4 is darn tough to beat.

You gotta remember, they were all entered into the trials and only one rose to the top far exceeding the results of all others.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
You gotta remember, they were all entered into the trials and only one rose to the top far exceeding the results of all others.
The contract was awarded over 11 years ago in early 1999, the solicitation was actually entered 12 years ago in 1998, and this whole thing was actually started 15 years ago in 1995. It's main competition at the time was the Winchester 1100.

You can't dismiss newer shotguns saying how much superior the M4 is because it beat them all when they weren't even around when the testing was done well over a decade ago. :cool: This is about on the same lines as touting how the 1911 is so superior for military applications due to how it smoked the competition in the early 1900's.

Quite honestly, I can't even find a list of the competition. Wouldn't surprise me if the M4 and 1100 were the only ones that were tested.

·
Geronimo!
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You assume far too much corndoggy.

The 1998 trials were not the final word on the new shotguns throughout the military.

There were 500 series Mosseys, 1100 and 870 Remmeys, another Benelli and the FN TPS among others present at the 2000 and 2001 Marine trials. And correct me if I am wrong, but I've got a FN buddy here in Columbia who told me this morning after I read your post to him, that they were represented in those 2001 trials by the Winchester SPX was it? Which is the basis for the design now known as the FN SLP. So yes, FN was represented, technically. (He was not happy to admit it and he too claimed the odds were stacked against them but, yes, they were there.) The original nomenclature for the M4 btw was M1014.

Now, with regards to the price difference, there used to be none. When I bought my first M4 it was $855.00 out the door WITH the collapsable stock. That all changed in 2007 with Congress and the new import/export laws where Benelli was prevented from importing anymore M4s ... they all had to be made in the USA. It also caused the price to almost double and the stocks went from a $150.00 add on to a $900.00 price gouge on gunbroker. I found out through the grape vine that my wife, during the worst run on guns in 100 years just shortly after Obama was elected, paid $1,800.00 for my desert camo Benelli ... I actually hate it has come to that in this country but that's another gripe al together.

Listen, I'll say again that I am a fan of all things FN. One of my absolute best friends is doing consultant and liaison work for FN while living in Brussels with his wife and kids. The SLP and M4 are very similar in many regards but, I guess being an owner of a coujple, plus hearing from soldiers and marines who have used them in combat, plus actually digging into them, their design and development ... let's just say I am happy to own a couple of M4s.

I know you love your FN as well. We're both well equipped to defend our homes/castles, no doubt about it.

·
cleaning crew
3,113 Posts
i was balancing between the m4 and m2 field. would have loved the m4 for zombies. but opted for the m2 so i can get a side arm. may regret it later when the zombies roam.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts