Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is how to bend a pipe without a pipe bender.If you want to bend a pipe without kinking it carve a couple wooden plugs for the ends. Pound one plug in and start pouring sand in the other end. Fill the pipe completely and then tap it against the ground to compact the sand. Keep adding sand till you can get no more in. Pound the second plug into the pipe. It will compact the sand even further. Now you can bend the pipe without kinking the walls. I use the receiver hitch on my truck for the bending part. When you are done drill out the plug and dump the sand out.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Very cool, and I will probably use this technique one day. BUT, what does it have to do with farming / gardening? Just curious, not trying to be a d!ck.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have heard of this with PVC and using a heat gun. Its nice for you to make green houses or a cover for a raised bed. Maybe an irrigation system as well. Just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I learned this growing up on the farm. We did all our own welding and blacksmithing.

I guess I have never used it on exhaust pipe. Exhaust pipe is pretty thin. If the bend wasn't too tight it might work but I think for anything too complicated I would go to a muffler shop. They have some pretty specialized bending equipment. All I have ever used it on was Sch. 40 pipe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts