Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Mall Ninja Hunter
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just before I ordered an M21-02 for just under $60, I decided to check Craigslist for a deal. I searched all the makes/models I liked and didn't find anything...but just for fun, I searched Benchmade and saw a really pretty folding knife with a swirl on the metal handle for sale that was posted in the middle of last month. The guy used it overseas for everything and didn't need it anymore. When I checked it out, it had some surface scratches here and there, a couple missing screws and the blade was brick dull and rough to open.

I didn't even try to talk him down, but was just noticing everything when he dropped his price to $60...so I bought it and left. Took it apart with I got home, cleaned it up, put it back together and it opens smooth as butter. Then I took it to a local place to get it sharpened because the S30v blade was not getting sharpened with my stone...and walked out of the store 5 minutes later and $4 poorer but with a razor sharp blade. If you're in Austin, Knife Sharpest is THE place to go for knife sharpening....wow!

I called Benchmade this morning to order the missing screws and got talked into an entirely new set of hardware including the pivot screw and belt clip....all for free. :) I'm not the original owner. I didn't pay close to retail for the knife. Another guy with my name that lives in NY was in their database, and before creating a new customer profile or adding my contact info to his profile, she double checked with me to make sure he wasn't me and that I never lived up there. The CS rep I talked to didn't even let me talk to her manager to let them know how awesome she is because "that's just how they do business."

Holy Cow...I'm officially a customer for life. :D:

Info on the blade: The knife is the Mini Skirmish 635 and is one of the most comfortable knives I've ever held. It fits perfectly in my hand with the way I hold my knives if I have to use it for defense and is perfectly balanced which makes small circle slicing incredibly fast and easy. I definitely recommend it to anybody if you can find one. :thumb:

http://www.benchmade.com/products/635

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have (quick head count...) 7 Benchmades. Had no idea about the sharpening thing though, wonder if it's only in the US?

Love them all. If it weren't for the UKs draconian knife carry laws and the fact I live in a large city I'd EDC one.

However, when I move soon to the country...well, then I'll be rotating them on EDC!

·
Mall Ninja Hunter
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been seriously impressed with them and now I'm looking for more Benchmades. My blade has a few scratches and gashes...I wonder if they'd polish them out.

Meh....I'll just use the knife the way it's supposed to be used. I love my benchmade.

·
Old Guy
1,889 Posts
Mine came back with all the marks and scrapes still there, but the edge was like new. They'll replace the blade for $35. virtually giving you a new knife for $40. including shipping. Personally, I don't mind the wear and tear showing on mine. It has to happen sooner or later and looking new isn't as important as function to me.

·
Banned
2,281 Posts
i broke the tip off of my afck and they regrinded it, sharpened it and polished all the scratches out under their lifesharp warranty. been buying their knives since 1991.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I own Five Benchmade knives, the lifesharp is great, basically send it with $5 even if in bad shape, and the knife will come back looking brand new, all the screws replaced if needed, and sharp as the day it was new. I just sent my 7 year 910 carry knife, it was abused, and hadn't been sharped in several years, the clip loose and the screw heads of for the clip were stripped, came back in about 3 weeks looking like new, and sharp as new. I will never own another folder that is not a Benchmade.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've been carrying one of their switchblades on my boot (at work) for five years. It's survived 8 months in Afghanistan, 8 months in Djibouti Africa and another 9 months in 11 different countries. Huge fan of the knife and plan to get another one.

·
Vae Victis
795 Posts
I grew up with my dad using them, and naturally started buying my own about 10 years ago. I currently have about half a dozen. Superb knives, have never had a problem with any of them. You pay a little more versus some other makers, but they far exceed any other large knife manufacturers in quality and customer service.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts