Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Retreat hell!!
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes it gets tedious and downright boring , but its a fact of life ,if you dont practice , you will mess up , you might get part of it right , but in this game "part" means you will probably die along with your families!

Not being alarmist, But to show you the extent of the tedious little things that matter , one of my friends is super knowledgeable in prepping and in survival , when I was at his house the other day I asked him to improvise a fire for me and he laughed and said "right here" , I said yes , so he pulls out a fire starter (magnesium) and starts reading the instructions , I stopped him in his tracks and told with all your knowledge you dont know how to start a fire this way , he didnt know , fortunately it isnt rocket science , but like with anything if you have the tools but dont use them ,they are worthless tools ,even at the chance you might need them ,they are still worthless because you didnt take to the time to learn how to use them ! If you own guns , take the time to learn how to break them down , get so good that you can do it blindfolded , it will come in handy trust me, 27 years ago when I was in the Marines we did this with m16's and to this day I can still do it!

Practice what you learn , theres a ton of info in this site , I love it , I dont know everything and who knows if I'll truely be prepared but if I dont practice the techniques, learn with my tools and practice with them ,I wont be any more prepared than the boom box carrying cretons walking the streets!

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
This is why survivalism is a lifestyle to me, and not just a hobby.

Whether its gardening, hunting or fishing, I look at just about everything from a survivalism/survivalist point of view.

Over the past few months I have been posting several fishing videos on youtube. Believe it or not, I received negative comments by people saying they did not like fishing. During some kind of long term SHTF survival situation, fishing should be towards the top of the list.

And then there are the people that believe all they need is a bug out bag, so they can bug out to a national forest and live off the land. To me, that is a totally unrealistic point of view.

·
In memory of Rokitdog
14,951 Posts
Believe me I have experimented with firestarting using magnesium, ferro, batteries and steel wool, motorcycle spark plugs, model rocket ignitors, etc, and figured out what works with various tinders and what doesn't! :thumb:

But when my friend asked me to open an older type can of beans I was totally lost! Where the heck is the pop top? He said use a can opener! Huh? What the heck is that? :D:

·
Pleasantly demented woman
3,760 Posts
And then there are the people that believe all they need is a bug out bag, so they can bug out to a national forest and live off the land. To me, that is a totally unrealistic point of view.
This was brought home to us a couple of weekends ago when we were camping along a trout stream. It was wall to wall fishermen, pulling nice trout out of the creek. Then one morning the DNR man came by with his truck and shoveled fish into the creek every 100 feet or so. They stock HEAVILY. Otherwise there would be no fish.

Reactions: MikeK

·
dog bites...owner shoots!
206 Posts
Being prepared for us southern boyz just comes natural...we do off roading / hunting trips in the mountains all the time which requires taking in what you need to survive for several days at a time...we've even built custom riggs to stay in that are self contained and very cozy...

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I agree. On weekends, I practice building bow drills (using my knife, or laplander only), and starting fires in my pit with cotton balls and my ferro rod. I wish I was on our ranch where I really work on my bushcraft skills by building primitive shelters.

And it isn't boring at all. It's rather fun actually. After I master the art of fire through primitive methods, I want to build a bow out of a piece of wood. My ultimate goal is to work my way through the SAS survival guide building each one of the primitive shelters, tools and weapons one at a time. Now where to find the time to do it all....LOL...

·
Retreat hell!!
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It might sound stupid , but when I was younger I had a Popiel Pocket Fisherman , I took on a trip to the blue rige mountains camping , and to my amazement I actually caught enough trout in a nearby stream to feed all of us ! If I could get another one I would like it , its small enough to fit in a knapsack it has a slot for hooks/lures ,its really neat!

@rokitman , p38 you can get em at surplus shops , these are what opened c-rats back in the day (k-rats too) , I have one on all my keyrings , ya just never know when you might come across a can of soup and dont have electricity , there really small ,takes 38 cuts to open the can!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts