1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Follow your own star
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Wonder if they thought the government would help them....

What I don't understand is why would a broken refrigerator mean hungry kids....

Yah said there had been difficult times for the family, being cooped up together.
"A thunderstorm knocked out electricity for two days and a broken refrigerator made for hungry kids."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...77d50c-5750-11e4-809b-8cc0a295c773_story.html
I guess they didn't have enough dry goods stored. Non-preppers.

·
Registered
8,208 Posts
I guess they didn't have enough dry goods stored. Non-preppers.
Yes.

A broken fridge means no milk for their dry cereal, no eggs, and if they didn't have stuff in the cupboards that means not much variety to eat. Also, adults can eat boring food like tuna straight from the can but if kids do not like their food, they whine because they are hungry but refuse what is available.

I got caught out this way during a power failure, which is one reason I started taking prepping more seriously.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
They also complained about expired food. Can't they read? Except for diary it's a best use by date.
This is why capitalism is good. Depending on government and charitable organizations just doesn't work for us. Best to earn money to buy stuff, and prepare for hard times. I hope they have learned something about life in America.

·
Registered
640 Posts
For the most part, the family has relied on donations, although the supply of groceries from the Red Cross was underwhelming.

“Some of the food was expired,” he said, ticking off items such as juice, cereal and applesauce. “Some didn’t even have expiration dates.”

I guess we just didn't do enough for them!

"“The hospital is the major cause of Mr. Duncan’s death,” he said. “He shouldn’t have died.”

UMM OK.

·
Banned
17,612 Posts
My mother had polio when she was a young teenager. The entire family was quarantined inside their home for a couple months, if I remember what she told me correctly. Her best friend also contracted polio and was not as fortunate as my mother and ended up dying in an iron lung. Their family was also quarantined for quite a while.

I did not live through that epidemic, but my mother and her family did. And one thing I remember my grandmother telling me is that they were desperately afraid that they would spread the disease to other people.

Unlike today, where we've read a few of those in quarantine thought they were too good or too special or were too bored after a couple days and thoughtlessly, foolishly, hazardously broke quarantine and endangered other's lives.

I didn't experience what my mother and her family did, but then again I can learn a lesson without having something happen to me directly.

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
Your polio comment reminded me of something...our priorities are skewed. Salk created and gave away the right to the vaccine sparing millions around the world from that scourage...I wonder how many children know his name from school. Who are the 'heroes' foisted upon them who only helped special interest segments of our population?

We have our priorities wrong.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I see a conundrum ,
Had they been Preppers with months of supplies it would have been wasted.
But if you are a prepper, you should not be putting all of your supplies in your fridge/freezer. Some, yes, but not all. Some of your food should be canned/dry goods.

There's a saying in Starfleet: Don't put all your Admirals in the same shuttle-craft. The same thing applies to preps.

·
Banned
17,612 Posts
Your polio comment reminded me of something...our priorities are skewed. Salk created and gave away the right to the vaccine sparing millions around the world from that scourage...I wonder how many children know his name from school. Who are the 'heroes' foisted upon them who only helped special interest segments of our population?

We have our priorities wrong.

I said elsewhere that I believe a lot of people are young and have no direct experience of a time when horrible epidemics like polio were present, and even young enough that they did not have anyone in their immediate family who lived through something like polio. Maybe that's where some of the ill-informed or foolish comments and beliefs come from. They didn't live through it, and they don't know anyone who lived through it, therefore it's b.s.

Measles, chicken pox, mumps, polio, rubella, are all pretty much diseases of the past thanks to vaccinations and disease control methods.

AIDS was the closest many of us here have come to being alive when a disease was epidemic--but it was relatively limited to certain behaviors and was otherwise situational. It was also not an airborne pathogen.

Ebola is a completely different disease.

·
Cat Person
1,374 Posts
"interesting" that it's 21 days when we have pretty solid information that 10-12% will still be contagious for 42.

Round 2 anyone?
Only if God is still looking out for America will the Open Borders/Thomas Eric Duncan caused Ebola outbreak end with two infections.

I don't think we are that blessed anymore. I pray for the lives of those two innocent women who did nothing but care for the sick to get that virus.

·
Cat Person
1,374 Posts
I said elsewhere that I believe a lot of people are young and have no direct experience of a time when horrible epidemics like polio were present, and even young enough that they did not have anyone in their immediate family who lived through something like polio. Maybe that's where some of the ill-informed or foolish comments and beliefs come from. They didn't live through it, and they don't know anyone who lived through it, therefore it's b.s.

Measles, chicken pox, mumps, polio, rubella, are all pretty much diseases of the past thanks to vaccinations and disease control methods.

AIDS was the closest many of us here have come to being alive when a disease was epidemic--but it was relatively limited to certain behaviors and was otherwise situational. It was also not an airborne pathogen.

Ebola is a completely different disease.
The big difference between AIDS and Ebola is that once it was discovered and the blood supply was screened for it, you basically CANNOT GET AIDS unless you behave in an irresponsible manner:

1. Pleasure yourself where another man evacuates his bowels (ie: the dirtiest part of the human body)
2. Have sex outside marriage (or have a cheating spouse that does so)
3. Take drugs injected by needle and share/re-use needles.

The only completely innocent AIDS victims now are the children of women who engage in such behaviors when pregnant.

In other words, you and I can COMPLETELY avoid risk of AIDS. We cannot completely avoid the risk of Ebola.

·
Banned
1,330 Posts
"..but if kids do not like their food, they whine because they are hungry, but refuse what is available."

Sounds more like parents........who do not know how to be parents.

Stop giving these kids whatever they want.:rolleyes:

Raise them right, and you don't get spoiled, whiners.

·
Banned
1,330 Posts
"Only if God is still looking out for America".

Since when, does a Fantasy Creature protect anybody?

Did he cure Polio?

Why didn't he cure any of my family?
They were all hardcore believers.....

1 - 20 of 41 Posts