Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey

Does anyone know what a good and not too expensive bow and arrow for me would be. I am a beginner to shooting a bow and arrow, so I hope you guess can tell me a good bow and arrow to use and practice with.

·
Registered
165 Posts
For the money you should go ahead and plan on spending around $400.00 unless this just an experiment. It is addicting and my absolute favorite way to hunt and waste an afternoon at the range.

I would recommend anything made within the last 5 years from the following bow manufacturers.

BowTech
Hoyt
Matthews
PSE
Strother
Parker

There are a lot of brands that are made by these and are just as good but usually a year or so behind the current brands.

Ex. Diamond is made by Bowtech but the top of the line is usually last years Bowtech top of the line.

Remember that what you buy needs to be set up at a real bowshop. This will save you a lot of time and frustration. They will usually give you some shooting pointers right in the store.

BTW I shoot a Diamond Black Ice. My 8 year old shoots a Nuclear Ice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
While I'd definitely recommend anything these guys suggest, if you really like archery and want the bow to be just for you, why not build your own? I'm in the middle of building a red oak board bow and it's a lot of fun. I have to warn you that it's an addicting hobby though haha

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Look on craigs list, Ebay or in your local newspaper. You can get a great starter bow for 25% OF THE COST OF BUYING NEW. I sold my old Bear to guy here for 100 bucks with arrows,broad heads, and a fletcher. Bows do not have a hiugh re sale value so buy used. Kingfish

·
Spirit of Scotia
141 Posts
Iv just started out with the bow and have fallen in love with it but i would steer away from samick SHT its what i bought great bow till it snapped in my face. new limbs should be arriving start of next week so hopefully it was just that set that were faulty.

·
Ryding Free...
6,372 Posts
Look on craigs list, Ebay or in your local newspaper. You can get a great starter bow for 25% OF THE COST OF BUYING NEW. I sold my old Bear to guy here for 100 bucks with arrows,broad heads, and a fletcher. Bows do not have a hiugh re sale value so buy used. Kingfish
If you're getting a recurve bow or a longbow especially you want it new.
That way the bow is 'shot in' to your body and not someone elses...
You can do second hand but new is better imo

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
I prefer shooting traditional bows

thats really what you need to figure first do you want modern type bows like compound bows act

or traditional styles like recurves longbows act

1 - 14 of 14 Posts