Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Banned
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to get some feeback from people who already own a Saiga x39.

I have some questions. And the internet says so many diffrent things it's hard to tell what is fact and what is fiction.

I'd like to know if the Saiga x39 will take Hi-Cap magazines out of the box? or will in need a bullet guide to do so? Can a drum magazine fit without modification?

Are the Arsenal trigger groups and part better than Danzig parts? And if so, why?

Will original AK-47 parts interchange with the Saiga? Such as top covers, pressed on bi-pods, Forends, pistons Etc. ?

I am just looking for feedback before I spend the $400+. Any help is good help in my book.:cool:

·
Banned
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only reason I'm not considering a .308 is because the ammunition is a bit more expensive and the magazines are Way over priced.

I'm just a working stiff without a lot of cash. I've weighed the options and the x39 is in my price range. The .308 is just more expensive all around IMO.

·
Banned
1,927 Posts
My reason for .308 is its more common round and also a nato and usa round.If anything ever does happen most dead bodies you come across will have 5.56 or .308 rounds on it.I understand the costs .Im just sayin what i would do.Is my opinion and doesnt mean a thing.The decision is yours just putting a lil bug in your ear.

·
Banned
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL, I'd have to say most dead bodies would most likely have .223 or 7.62x39 on them. Maybe some with .308. But mostly x39 and 223.

Have you seen how many posts there are on her with people talking about having an SKS or AK or AR?

Just saying.

Back on Topic....Don't mind if I do....:thumb:

·
Banned
1,927 Posts
LOL, I'd have to say most dead bodies would most likely have .223 or 7.62x39 on them. Maybe some with .308. But mostly x39 and 223.

Have you seen how many posts there are on her with people talking about having an SKS or AK or AR?

Just saying.

Back on Topic....Don't mind if I do....:thumb:
These folks are a drop in the bucket my friend compared to the 100s of Thousands in military and federal,state and local lawenforcement agencies in the world.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
In all reality, the Saiga rifle is an AK-103. It has an updated gas piston design. I think AK-47 gas pistons can work. You need the tube and piston to convert it. I left that part of the rifle alone. I could imagine the drum would work on it. Never bothered with it though. It is expensive and bulky. More of a toy than a tool in my opinion. Best to get a couple of 20 round magazines for all day carry and 30 round when you need a refills.

I think the bullet guide is required. It may work, but likelyhood of jambs is higher. The magazine catch will need to be modified too. You just grind or file it a bit at a time until the mag catches into the reciever.

I went with the k-var kit, but bought their 2 stage trigger kit which is US made. IT's no weatherby, but it's 8 out of 10 for cheap guns. I have no hesitation about cleaning up my own triggers. Roughly 3/4 of my rifles have homemade trigger jobs. I did not feel it needed work there. I used the dinzag bullet guide and screw set to replace the rivets. I also converted the magazine follower and floorplate to US made stuff. Stock, pistol grip, magazine follower, magazine floor plate, hammer, trigger, and disconnect count as 7 parts.

You can get a US made gas piston and handguard instead of the magazine parts. The reciever cover is a stamped AK design. However, anything but the krebs one will likely not hold zero. Best scope mounts are the side rail one or the scout mounts. I have the scout mount on an eotech 512. Another real nice addition is the tech sights peep sight conversion. It is a M16 sight conversion kit. I think this is the best thing the factory Ar-15 have going for them over the AK.

The conversion is easy. Nothing is rocket science about it. Try out the rifle in stock form before converting, so if there is any accuracy or reliability issues it can be address by the manufacturer.

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=17000&cat=360&page=4

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
My. 223 needed no guide right out of the box. Not sure why but you might ask the seller more, or check out saiga12.com

·
Registered
816 Posts
The only reason I'm not considering a .308 is because the ammunition is a bit more expensive and the magazines are Way over priced.

I'm just a working stiff without a lot of cash. I've weighed the options and the x39 is in my price range. The .308 is just more expensive all around IMO.
Its actually a LOT more expensive.

You can get 7.62x39 pretty cheap still, like 250 or less for 1000 rounds. .308, At the absolute cheapest, is twice as much. Usually its more like 3 times as much.

Yeah .308 is more powerful, but you have to ask yourself what are you going to be doing with this weapon that you can't do with 7.62x39?

·
Registered
7,196 Posts
I wanted to get some feeback from people who already own a Saiga x39.
I bought and converted one about a year ago
I have some questions. And the internet says so many diffrent things it's hard to tell what is fact and what is fiction. Check out saiga12 .com Lots of info there

I'd like to know if the Saiga x39 will take Hi-Cap magazines out of the box? or will in need a bullet guide to do so? Can a drum magazine fit without modification?
No. you need to file the mag catch down a bit (easy). Get a bullet guide.
* If you want to use surplus steel mags*
Are the Arsenal trigger groups and part better than Danzig parts? And if so, why?
I've got a tapco G2 group, works fine ( Only Tapco part I recomend).

Will original AK-47 parts interchange with the Saiga? Such as top covers, pressed on bi-pods, Forends, pistons Etc. ?
Yes. But if you want to stay legal you need to learn about 922r

I am just looking for feedback before I spend the $400+. Any help is good help in my book.
If you buy one new see if you can look at the factory paperwork, you'll find the spread results in millimeters

·
DEFCON 4
6,583 Posts

you can get .308 ammo/7.62 nato for 27 cents per round on the internet.. not too expensive, plus you will have a more terminal rd...

·
Proverbs 26:4
2,112 Posts
I don't own a Saiga, or even AK so take this for what it's worth.
There are several threads on here about Saigas, I've started a few myself. I've been loking into this same issue for some time now.

I've come to the conclusion, that for me, buying the Arsenal is the way to go.
The Saiga conversion is already done and everything is compliant and factory grade. You can use AK mags and it's an accurate and highly reliable rifle. It comes with the muzzle break too. A new factory one will cost you twice as much as the standard Saiga but It's worth it.

·
-Novice Genius-
417 Posts
I'd like to know if the Saiga x39 will take Hi-Cap magazines out of the box? or will in need a bullet guide to do so?
These fit like a glove and are highly reliable, without any modifications to the rifle.
http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/surefire-saiga-762x39-30rd-polymer-magazine-p-140.html

You still need to be 922r compliant.

Here is a checklist:
http://jobson.us/922r/

You may only use 10-or-fewer foreign made parts.
Those surefire mags count as 3 U.S. parts.

As mentioned before, this website has all the info you'd ever need on the subject.
http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showforum=5

MP76

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
if your looking for a 7.62X39 and low on cash why not go with a WASR chrome barrel side rail G2 trigger group i own one and love it zero problems. your going to spend a lot more money on the saiga by the time you move the FCG then i assume you will want it to accept regular AK mags.

the .308 does cost more per round but its a .308!i own the .308 long barrel and love it. to me its just not worth it to spend all the extra money just to shoot 7.62X39 when you can get a WASR for next to nothing now.

·
Banned
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for answering some of my questions. Always get good help around here.

I would like to get a 308 one of these days. And it's on my list.

I am a bit of a tinkerer er... So converting will not be an issue here.

I am well aware of the 922r rules and would only add US made parts to the rifle. (which I think is stupid anyway)

The sure fire magazines are a big help there. I wouldn't really need to get AK magazines for any reason other than a $10 price diffrence.

I will shoot the hell out of it in stock config for about 500 rounds. Mama didn't raze no dummy.

I could easily add the bullet guide no problem. was just wondering about ak magazines if they would fit in stock config.

I was looking into WASR's and frankly I've herd a lot of bad stuff about them. And century does a good job of making crap firearms. Some will disagree. But I've seen a video from arsenal showing there rifles against out of the box century rifles. And it's clear how crappy century is. If your ok with mismatch parts guns then get one. But not me. A new AK is better than a chopped and frankinsteined AK anyday.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
dont buy too much into the WASR myths that are out there. i have about 1000 or so rounds in mine zero problems. the longest range i have is 200yds will hit man size target every time. To me a lot of people over think the AK, the platform is very very basic with almost no parts when compared to the AR. also most companies will import say the receiver then add US made barrel trigger group.

on the saiga i highly advise you to modify to accept regular AK mags as the plastic ones will ware over time. i have 2 tapco mags and 1 surefire that will lot lock into place because of the tab getting worn down.

·
Part Terminator
499 Posts
Lets put it this way.. Arsenal out of Los Vegas is one of the Top USA Comp. that sells the AK's. There most popular made one is the SLR series guns. The base they use are Saiga's. Nuff said there on quality. So yes Buy the Saiga.. There the BEST IMHA in the AK world..

BTW WASR's from what I hear are a hit or miss on quality. I got lucky with the one a have. I have had no problems with the one bought. I was a few years ago when Bush was still in office and there where still $250.00. Date on the was 1974 with all the pieces including the gas tube matching.. It has an Arrow in the triangle. That Gun has been dropped, covered in mud, thrown around and hell even fell into the a pond to be retrieved the next day. And she still hits a human target at 250yr. Like I said, I got lucky with it and i well stay as one of my main AK's as it has earned the right to be called that.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
BTW WASR's from what I hear are a hit or miss on quality. I got lucky with the one a have. I have had no problems with the one bought. I was a few years ago when Bush was still in office and there where still $250.00. Date on the was 1974 with all the pieces including the gas tube matching.. It has an Arrow in the triangle.
most problems with WASR s were cleared up some time ago, the ones with the triangle are demilled military rifles. to me it seems people make a big deal about the receiver but all it really does is allow the bolt to go back and forth thats it. the beauty of the AK is that they are very simple.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I have had quite a few wasrs over the years. My friends have wasrs. I've yet to hear of a problem. Make no mistake the fit and finish leaves a lot to be desired, but at heart it's still an AK.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.