Survivalist Forum banner

Beekeeping question

378 17
We've had bees for the last 2-3 years but for the 1st time we harvested some honey (1 tray), we had about 10 trays and only 5-6 had honey and none of them were completely full.

My question is if we put a demand on them by harvesting honey will they produce more?
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
off-grid organic farmer
24,998 Posts
I do not usually harvest honey in the fall. Not knowing how much they might need to carry them through the coming winter months.

Out of 10 frames if only 5 had honey and none of them were filled, I would think that they did not produce enough honey to get them safely to the next year.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
I do not usually harvest honey in the fall. Not knowing how much they might need to carry them through the coming winter months.

Out of 10 frames if only 5 had honey and none of them were filled, I would think that they did not produce enough honey to get them safely to the next year.
Do you leave a super on over the winter? I always try to cut the hives down to just brood boxes.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
I typically make a hard candy board that fits over the top of the frames. If the bees wander up to the top they can find the candy board and feed on it all winter.
Yeah. I usually bomb any hive I think is even a little light with syrup before it gets too cold and then do either bee candy or camp method if they are still light.

Reactions: Aceoky

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've been beekeeping for 6 years now and have to agree with a lot of what's already been said. I live in Massachusetts so our winters are somewhat harsh, so we do not take any honey past the month of August to make sure that they have enough stores to last through the winter. It also has to do a lot with the health of the hive. We treat for varroa and tracheal mites each fall before the winter to help strengthen the hive. One key difference between myself and other beekeepers though is that I use a top-bar hive not the traditional Langstroth hive.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I've been beekeeping for 6 years now and have to agree with a lot of what's already been said. I live in Massachusetts so our winters are somewhat harsh, so we do not take any honey past the month of August to make sure that they have enough stores to last through the winter. It also has to do a lot with the health of the hive. We treat for varroa and tracheal mites each fall before the winter to help strengthen the hive. One key difference between myself and other beekeepers though is that I use a top-bar hive not the traditional Langstroth hive.
I have 2 warre hives, same concept.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
I didn’t even know it was optional. Always left one super on top of the brood box.
My hives are two brood boxes (deeps) plus supers. Typically the upper box will be pretty much full of honey at the start of the fall/winter season. I get all the supers off the hive before the cold closes in so it is easier for the bees to stay warm.

Reactions: country_boy

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I had 3 hives this spring and summer. Two were new from packages. They did not produce any honey for me. My older hive only gave me 6 pints. Not much rain this summer so not much nectar. I will feed sugar water and along with the honey they kept I hope they all survive. I was really disappointed this year. Maybe next year they will do better.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had 3 hives this spring and summer. Two were new from packages. They did not produce any honey for me. My older hive only gave me 6 pints. Not much rain this summer so not much nectar. I will feed sugar water and along with the honey they kept I hope they all survive. I was really disappointed this year. Maybe next year they will do better.
Where are you out of? When we've had bad summers here I've learned to basically supplement their water supply inside the hive as well as putting a bird bath outside close by for them to drink. We also planted perennials that come back each year and we keep those watered to maintain a pollen source for them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts