Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on one of the beekeeping lists on Yahoo, and someone just posted this [and I hope it's not a problem to quote folks on another list, but this one was an unexpected place to see this info]:

"Wanted to let you all know that I set in 1500 gallons of unleaded gasoline for the coming season so I can run and get a crop in working my bees. While I managed to get it for in the $1.40s per [gallon] wanted to let you know that company local regional manager who I know pretty well, said by middle to end of Jan 09 expect pricing to escalate to a good $75 per barrel and much higher rates at the pump for all grades gas , so if you have tanks for bulk, get it in while you can to help even out expense later for cost of labor, etc for working livestock/bees!"

Another post in the same thread [edited for brevity]:

"An interesting interview between [two leading energy experts, Matt Simmons an energy investment banker, and Robert Hirsch, a top US energy consultant discussing the precariousness of world oil supplies with lots of facts and figures.]. If you think the drop in oil prices means that we're out of the woods on energy policy, these guys say you're dead wrong. And they've got the International Energy Association (IAE) data and worldwide oil company contacts to prove it. The data have tremendous implications for the energy security of you and your families, this nation. Frankly, they argue we're in a much worse situation with energy than any of us believes.

http://www.netcastdaily.com/broadcast/fsn2008-1213-2.mp3"

and a third post in the same thread:

"I buy in bulk wherever I can, as you save a lot of money...if you have the space and means to do so I suggest looking into it..especially can goods and dry goods you can find really good sources online. ... So when gas prices go right back up and they will ,I have the money I saved on food to help offset the gas prices."

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'm on one of the beekeeping lists on Yahoo, and someone just posted this [and I hope it's not a problem to quote folks on another list, but this one was an unexpected place to see this info]:

"Wanted to let you all know that I set in 1500 gallons of unleaded gasoline for the coming season so I can run and get a crop in working my bees. While I managed to get it for in the $1.40s per [gallon] wanted to let you know that company local regional manager who I know pretty well, said by middle to end of Jan 09 expect pricing to escalate to a good $75 per barrel and much higher rates at the pump for all grades gas , so if you have tanks for bulk, get it in while you can to help even out expense later for cost of labor, etc for working livestock/bees!"

Another post in the same thread [edited for brevity]:

"An interesting interview between [two leading energy experts, Matt Simmons an energy investment banker, and Robert Hirsch, a top US energy consultant discussing the precariousness of world oil supplies with lots of facts and figures.]. If you think the drop in oil prices means that we're out of the woods on energy policy, these guys say you're dead wrong. And they've got the International Energy Association (IAE) data and worldwide oil company contacts to prove it. The data have tremendous implications for the energy security of you and your families, this nation. Frankly, they argue we're in a much worse situation with energy than any of us believes.

http://www.netcastdaily.com/broadcast/fsn2008-1213-2.mp3"

and a third post in the same thread:

"I buy in bulk wherever I can, as you save a lot of money...if you have the space and means to do so I suggest looking into it..especially can goods and dry goods you can find really good sources online. ... So when gas prices go right back up and they will ,I have the money I saved on food to help offset the gas prices."

I just had my bulk gas topped off yesterday as well as my LP. I'm going to keep it topped off all winter as long as the trucks can get back here, then again as soon as the spring melts enough snow to let them all back in. With full tanks I have close to two years worth of gas and diesel. I want to make sure I have enough for when the prices start going back up.

blt

·
Registered
101 Posts
How would you treat 1500 gallons of gasoline to keep it from turning to varnish before you could use it? Sounds unrealistic to me.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
Interesting, what area are these folks from. This also made me think that I might want to check around and see who I know that keeps bees. Might need it for sweetener etc some time down the road if you get my drift.

·
Poseur
221 Posts
[...]This also made me think that I might want to check around and see who I know that keeps bees. Might need it for sweetener etc some time down the road if you get my drift.
Or you could just buy a bunch of honey, not like it ever goes bad.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
How would you treat 1500 gallons of gasoline to keep it from turning to varnish before you could use it? Sounds unrealistic to me.
You put it in a good quality tank, you treat it with a product called PRI-G.

We are using off road diesel put up in this fashion that was first purchased in June of 1999. It's running fine in a diesel genset, tractors, bulldozer and backhoe :thumb:

Lowdown3

Watch this- same principles

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
Or you could just buy a bunch of honey, not like it ever goes bad.

takes the funny out of bartering for minor items.

·
BowHunter
2,232 Posts

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
I figure I personally use 20 gallons a week. That comes out to 1000 gallons a year. Add my wife, and it more than doubles, since she commutes daily, and I usually just work on the next ridge over (2 miles). At the ranch, we have 2000 gallons of propane, 1000 of diesel, and 500 unleaded. We fill the propane yearly, the diesel every six months, and use the gas for a speculation game my boss and I have (buy it when it's cheap, use it when it's expensive) . We've yet to accurately spot peaks and lows, and my boss likes to point out when I'm wrong. We could have saved 20 cents a gallon, but prices are heading back up here, meaning if I use it now, I save 2 cents a gallon. It's a perpetual gamble, but good odds at hedging.

Gas goes quicker than you think with farm tools, trucks, and most conspicuously; generators.

Frankly, I'd be slot more worried if they were preparing for something else, and buying mechanical pollinators. Haven't heard much in a while about colony collapse disorder.

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
sounds more like he bought the gas because it dipped down to a low price

1 - 10 of 10 Posts