Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Question first, story later.

I know that the original Becker BK7 knife has since been discontinued as its steel (0170-6C) went out of production; production of the knife has since been resumed by Ka-Bar, using 1095 cro-van steel. I've heard the original's praise sung everywhere; is the Ka-Bar version just as good?

Also, is 7" way too long for a proper knife?

Thanks guys.

~~~~
I came to this forum originally trying to find a place to buy an Aitor Jungle King I, which (along with its cousins and Spanish knives in general) was bashed roundly in this forum topic here

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=2032

Further research (lurking on this forum) showed me that the JKI wasn't really marketed towards practical survivalist use, but more for rich bored teenagers who want themselves a Rambo knife. I was also surprised that the knives that enthusiasts used were remarkably plain looking. No sawback, no additional gear packed in the sheath, no ergonomic-shaped handles or anything.

I still want the JKI, but probably only as something to hang on my wall to impress the people not in the know. I figured that on actual camping trips or hikes I'd be far better off with something like the BK7.

Thanks to you guys, I think I might be taking the first baby steps out to the serious outdoors.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Have one of the original BK 7's, it is a very good blade. Not yet handled a new version, so no opinion.
If you want to see some real using knives, look at some puuko and Leuku blades from Finnland, and the Swede Mora and Frosts knives.
These are knives from a culture where knife work was an everday thing, and in winter, the knife was an indispensible survival tool.

·
Registered
77 Posts
UnuasalSuspects,
Have 2 BK-7s,one Camillus and one Kabar,recently picked up the new Kabar BK-7 along with 2 BK-11 neck knives,first impression so far,can't tell any diffference in them,except the Kabar sheaths seem to be better quality at least for the Neckers.My Camillus BK-7 has been on hunts with me from Fla.,TN,VA.,KY and WV.Depending on your tasks a 7" fixed blade is the minimum for me in a wilderness/survival knife.My new Kabar Beckers would mow the hair off your arm right out of the box,of course I hit them on the finishing stone and razor strap for a little extra edge.I have nothing but good things to say about Ethan Becker's products,I hope he and Kabar release the "Brute" soon,have one Camillus Brute,hell of a knife,got to get one for my son when they come available.But the BK-7 is a work horse,easily downs saplings and pine boughs for shelter building,will hack through pelvic bones on deer with ease as opening the chest cavity on deer also.This blade has also butchered wild boar in Fla. and TN.
coldsteelman73

·
Berserker Blood
253 Posts
I have an original BK7 as well and it has been through a lot of abuse in the woods, and holds an edge very well, I have not compared it to the newer version so I can not tell you the difference. Even as the size that it is you can choke up and it for finer work, just be careful they are sharp!

·
The European Outdoorsman
675 Posts
I am interested in the BK7. I have a BK2. For a 5 inch the BK2 is a good chopper, but I know the 7 would be better. I saw somewhere, that the Camillus version broke in half during chopping. I know KA-BAR uses a slightly different steel the 1095 Cro-van vs just 1095. Has anyone had this happen to either the Camillus or KA-BAR version? How thick is the knife at it's widest part? Also, there is an S30V version out with micarta handels that looks pretty sweet!

·
Banned
345 Posts
Would you recommend the BK7 over a custom that's on the less expensive side of the scale? I'm specifically choosing between something by Muskrat Man or Scrapyard.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The BK7 is my go-to knife..changed grips to micarta, filled off the jimping and opened a finger choil. Found a deal on a spec-ops sheath. U-TUBE has some vids (can't remember who) on mods.Its easy to sharpen & feels light in hand.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a ka-bar BK-7 and Ethan Becker has done a good job making sure the design stays true from one Manufacturer to another. Some people bash the little BK-13 included, but I like it. Great for smaller tasks and holds an edge well. The BK-7 is a knife designed to take abuse. You can baton the heck out if it, the steel used is designed to be able to flex and not brittle like some of the tool steel knives. For the money there is not a better knife out there. I made a leather sheath just because I like the warmth of leather, but the nylon sheath works well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts