Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know anything about the Becker BK7 Combat/Utility Knife

The BK&T COMBAT/UTILITY 7 has been designed specifically for soldiers and adventurers requiring a sturdy but lightweight combat knife that can stand up to hard use. The inspiration for the COMBAT/UTILITY 7 is the timeless MK-2 FIGHTING KNIFE that CAMILLUS CUTLERY helped develop during the second world war.

The COMBAT/UTILITY 7 has a 7" 0170-6C carbon tool steel blade that is tough enough for any field task and is flat ground to the BECKER shaving sharp edge. The steel is coated with a protective matte black epoxy/powdercoat finish for stealthy protection against elements.

The brawny .188" thick clip point blade is the perfect complement for a knife that may be used for piercing as well as prying. An integral inline hammering pommel has been engineered into the blade tang and is useful for a variety of military and survival uses.

The sheath is OD green Nylon and has a Kydex insert to shield the blade. The sheath has a gusseted front accessory pouch that can house survival gear, sharpeners, multitool, etc. The belt loop is large enough to accommodate a GI pistol belt, and also features ALICE clip slots for attachment to LBE gear. The sheath has a "pull the dot" snap loop, and set of eyelets for lashing the knife into the sheath, thus providing dual retention to be "Jump Safe" for airborne operations.

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS:

? 7" 0170-6C carbon steel
? .188" thick stock
? High, flat saber grind
? Coated in black epoxy-powder coating
? Full tang, with trademark BK&T ergonomic scales of GV6H
? Weight: 12.9 oz

All Feature: devastating cutting power ? proven in the world?s most challenging environments.

Each flat ground blade features an incredibly sharp blade and the most comfortable hard-use knife handle in the world.

? Exclusive high carbon steel (0170-6C)
? 58-59 RC blade hardness
? Black epoxy coating
? Becker trademark GV6H ergonomic handles
? Proudly made in the U.S.A.

$55.00

This looks like a pretty good deal. Can anyone tell me if the 0170-6C carbon steel and the 58-59 blade hardness is any good? Thanks for any info in advance.

Tbull:cool:

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
I do not know anything about this knife, but the 0170-6C carbon steel is supposed to be the same steel that Cold Steel uses in their blades. Cold Steel calls it Carbon V, other companies calls it 0170-6C.

My Recon Scout from Cold Steel has a Carbon V (0170-6C carbon steel) blade and I am VERY happy with how well it cuts and holds an edge.

And the knife you are looking at is made in the USA, that alone is worth the $55.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I ordered the Becker BK7 this weekend. I could only find it at one place. It seems they have quit making the BK series and everywhere I found them on the net was back ordered or discontinued. Hopefully the web site I found it at still had some. I also found A COLD STEEL bushman mini and ordered it. I've heard good and bad reviews of the bushman. It seems that people either love them or hate them. To me it looks like it has good potential. Any body have one?

·
Registered
596 Posts
The BK7 is an excellent knife. I changed the handles on mine to Micarta, more comfortable and better grip. You could give Camillus customer service a call and see if they have any left (Camillus is out of business, pretty much). They were about $20 and worth every penny.
This knife is a great bargain.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Them going out of business would explain why the knife was so hard to find in stock. I ordered it from suvival sheath systems. Has anyone delt with this company? This is the first time I have. I think I'll wait until I actually have the knife in hand before I order anything extra for it. Thanks for the advice about the handles.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Another note on the BK7:

The sheath is pretty good. It has good retention and is easily modifiable to your taste. There is an expandable pocket in the front that can be used to stow a survival kit (an Altoids or Sucrets tin fits perfectly).

If you want a more "tactical" kydex sheath, I have nothing but good things to say about the work of On Scene Tactical out of Ontario Canada. Top notch work.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I'll stick with the sheath that comes with it for now. I just so happens the place I ordered the knife from is a custom sheath maker. I'm starting to get a little worried, I've recieved a reciept but have had nothing in the way of when it will ship or anything. I'm worried that it was out of stock and they forgot to take it off of the web site. Maybe it's just me!!

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WELL:mad: :mad: :mad:
I got the skinny on why I have not recieved anything on the BK-7. I e-mailed the guy from suvival sheath systems and found out that the BK-7 was on indefinate back order (they are not making them any more)!! I knew that this was a possibility when I placed the order, just hoped that this guy had a couple laying around. Oh well!! It would have been nice to recieve an email letting me know. He did recomend the the Ka-Bar short heavy bowie for the same price.

I did some looking around and found a site that tested the big brother (9 inch blade) of the short bowie(7 3/8 inch blad, the one that I ordered) http://www.knifetests.com/The knife looked pretty tough and I also read some reviews that said it had a pretty good blade that was easy to sharpen and keep sharp. My main worry was if the tang would pull out of the handle, after watching the videos on Knife test.com I am not worried about it any more. I found a place in Jacksonville, Fl http://888knivesrus.com/ that had it for about $44.00. I went ahead and ordered it and threw in a Cold steel Canadian belt knife for $10.00.

The canadian belt knife has caught my eye from the first time I looked at the cold steel web site. Anybody know anything about it? Pro & cons?

The shipping should only take 1 day since Jacksonville is close to home, but the site did say it could take up to 10 days to send it out. Sorry for rambling!

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Your looking at cold steel - then look at this http://www.coldsteel.com/80ft.html

I bought one to take on my hiking trip in Washington state. A couple of weeks later Kev82abn helped me cut up some ribs at my step daughters wedding - the knife sliced through the ribs including the bones with no problem. The cold steel website has it listed at 29.99, but I found it for 24.99.

The one thing I do not like about the cold steel - its got "china" stamped on the side.

Later on today I will get some pictures posted.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Cold steel pictures recon scout GI tanto

Here the pictures -

The knife with the corded handle is the GI Tanto. The knife with the regular handle is the Recon Scout.

The recon scout is about 10 years old - http://www.coldsteel.com/39lrs.html

The GI Tanto is about a month old.

Price difference between the two knives is about $100.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,060 Posts
The canadian belt knife has been around for about 40 years, the original had carbon tool steel blade a full tang and a wooden handle, it cost way more than $10.00! Though a bit ugly the design is ergonomic, well suited to skinning big game and camp chores. It had a loyal customer following in Canada. I have seen many of the old ones and they were well made.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kev,

How do you like the tanto blade (Pros & Cons)? I have never been real interested in that style of blade, on the other hand I have never tried one. I have always been weary of the handles with just para cord wrapped around them as far as comfort goes, again I have never tried it. These are the reasons I really haven't given the G.I Tanto a real look. I guess for $25.00 I should go ahead and give it a try.

Kenno,
I think Cold Steel makes quality knives, I do wish the blade was made of carbon steel. It is an ugly looking knife but to me it looks pretty practicle for skinning and general camp use. for ten bucks I had to try it.

I spoke with the company I ordered the knives from this morning and they said it would be shipped out today or tommorrow and it would only take 1 day for delivary. I'll give an initial inspection report as soon as possible.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Kev,

How do you like the tanto blade (Pros & Cons)? I have never been real interested in that style of blade, on the other hand I have never tried one.
I like it. For the cost, less then 30 dollars, if you dont like it then give it away as a christmas gift.

Did you ever get your knife in? What kind did you go with??

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
NO, I have not recieved the knives I ordered yet:mad: :mad: :mad: This is starting to get ridiculous. The company I ordered them from (888knivesrus.com) is only 2 hrs. away from where I live and they cannot even seem to process my order. I sent them an email and they said it would ship out in a couple of days, that was 4 days ago. I sent them an email today requesting info on my order and have not heard back from them. This to me, seems fairly simple (man places order, company charges charge card and mails order, man is happy). All I ordered was a Ka-Bar short heavy Bowie and a cold steel canadian belt knife, not that difficult. At least they could communicate with me. I'll get to the bottom of it and get back with everyone!

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update

Well,
I recieved my knives the day after my last post. The company sent me an email explaining what was going on. Apparantly this particular company buys from others and then sells to us. They explained that they have had a surge in orders for the Ka-Bar short heavy bowie and their supplier was running a little slow on getting them sent to them. They also refered me to line in their shippping policy that states it could take up to 10 days to be shipped. I assumed that they had a warehouse full of knives and they went to the shelf and filled the order and it was out the next day. My fault for not reading the shipping policy closer and my fault for assuming:eek:. Anyways, I opened the Ka-Bar up and my initial though was that this knife impressed me. I like the feel of the handle and the blade is made for heavy use. The blade is carbon steel with a black coating, and sharp enough to shave my arm. Again, I am happy with it so far. The other knife I got was the cold steel canadian belt knife. I really didn't know what to expect out of a $10.00 knife. I think I like this knife better than the Ka-Bar. It is light feels good in the hand and is sharp as all get out. The blade is stainless steel. I think this knife will be a good camp knife and game skinner. I will post pics as soon as I can. Can't wait to put them to get them in the field!

·
Troublesome.
1,333 Posts

Yea, I know; this is a really old thread. :xeye:

But I thought somebody out there might like to know that . . .

Indeed K-bar has picked up some of the Becker line, including the BKT-7. Which I recently ordered. It was in stock and delivered in less than a week from knivesplus.com

Now the really good news . . . K-bar didn't change the steel or anything else about the knife . . . 'course it has "CHINA" on the blade, but none the less, this IS the 'historic' Becker us Becker fans would hope for.

ONE TOUGH TOOL! :D:

K-Bar did good! :thumb:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.