Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Backpacker I Adventurer
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Winter is just around the corner, and for me that means winter backpacking, snow shoeing, cross country skiing, and my BEARD!

Earlier this year I went cross countr skiing and backpacking in Minnisota. I had spent the previous few months growing a heavy thick beard to help keep warm. I found it to be very helpful. I'm curious as to what other men think of growing beards during the fall and winter, and how much of a difference they think it makes.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I usually stop shaving at Halloween and start again at my birthday in March. I started early this year, about a week ago. The difference....can't be measured it is so great. Same with my long underwear. On at Halloween, of at my birthday.

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
I start mine in october and it goes bye bye in early march.

·
Backpacker I Adventurer
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah think it was around Holloween last year I started the beard. Will probably do the same this year too. As you say it cannot be measured it is so great.

Just don't make the mistake I did earlier this year. I broke one of my own rules. I couldn't find my good balaclava so I brought along my cotton one. My breath froze so fast in the -40 F weather that I had a big glob of ice over my mouth which froze to my beard. Talk about painful when I tried to pull off the clava because i was finding it hard to breath through all the ice.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It does help take some of the bite away. I used to practice a similar growing regiment. I keep it down to a mustache now though. Helps me get a better seal on my gas masks! Grow away gentlemen. There aren't enough manly beards out there.

·
Semper non compos mentis
1,578 Posts
Absolutely, winter beards for me too. I keep the moustache in summer too, even though it can sometimes be a pain with sealing my face mask when spear fishing.

·
Backpacker I Adventurer
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah during summer i usually trim the beard down to a full goatee or just chin goatee. I no longer need to wear my gas mask anymore (for the most part) so I don't worry about that.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
I started my beard on the 19th of March, 1972 -- the day I got out of the Army -- and have worn it since. I think I've also heard just about every sh!tty comment a woman can make about beards so I say #@#@ 'em. My face, my life I will do with my face what the &^% I like. If you don't like it, go date some metrosexual lackbeard closet ****.... Now... where did I put that raw leg of lion I was eating for breakfast?....

·
Backpacker I Adventurer
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol. Well Razor I recall someone once telling me "You don't shave the hair on your butt so why cultavate what grows naturally on your face."

·
Displaced Texan
501 Posts
funny!
My man grows a light beard all year long. Sun protection- and insulator. Rugged, manly....BIG TURN ON FOR A LOT OF WOMEN!!!

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
funny!
My man grows a light beard all year long. Sun protection- and insulator. Rugged, manly....BIG TURN ON FOR A LOT OF WOMEN!!!
Yea... my point was life is too short and there are too many women for man to tolerate the prissy &%^$%#[email protected]# who don't like beards of mustaches. Frankly, I think a beard reminds a woman a man a man and a lot of women don't like to be reminded of that.

·
I love this *****
33,883 Posts
Winter is just around the corner, and for me that means winter backpacking, snow shoeing, cross country skiing, and my BEARD!

Earlier this year I went cross countr skiing and backpacking in Minnisota. I had spent the previous few months growing a heavy thick beard to help keep warm. I found it to be very helpful. I'm curious as to what other men think of growing beards during the fall and winter, and how much of a difference they think it makes.
A good beard makes a lot of difference in a cold climate. I worked as a lineman in northern Utah (Logan) and I had to climb telephone or power poles in sub-zero temps. The bitter winds felt like razor blades cutting across my exposed skin but my beard took care of most of my face. I would literally have icicles hanging off of my moustache.

·
I love this *****
33,883 Posts
Yea... my point was life is too short and there are too many women for man to tolerate the prissy &%^$%#[email protected]# who don't like beards of mustaches. Frankly, I think a beard reminds a woman a man a man and a lot of women don't like to be reminded of that.
I knew a woman once who had a beard. Something I'm not fond of remembering.

Reactions: BluegillGuy123

·
I love this *****
33,883 Posts
I usually stop shaving at Halloween and start again at my birthday in March. I started early this year, about a week ago. The difference....can't be measured it is so great. Same with my long underwear. On at Halloween, of at my birthday.
I either go long periods (years) with a beard or long periods without it. The reason is that my beard is so stiff and thick than growing it is actually painful for a time. As the hairs begin to grow, they immediately start to curl back toward my skin. The hair ends are like little razor blades than literally cut back into my face. There is a period of about a week when I have all these little bloody cuts all over my face until the hair gets long enough to grow away from my skin. I don't look forward to that portion of my beard growing experience.

·
yep that's me
573 Posts
I always have a full gotee, but I get don't like to shave so I grow a beard off and on all year as well and for sure have one during the winter, I work outside everyday, btw haven't shaved for about 2 months now

·
Junior Oldie
817 Posts
I'm just lazy, so been growing and shaving off beards since I was 15. Right now, I have one. It doesn't get cold enough in SW MO to really tell any difference in warmth.

·
V
21,713 Posts
Dennis................ You dah man!! Beard and all :thumb:

Personally I cant grow a beard I get, irritate the crap outta me :taped: after 4days no shaving I'd hack it off with a brick if I had too :eek:.

I can see the benfits in a cold climate anything -15 at breakfast and I MIGHT think about it otherwise smooth "metrosexual" all the way :thumb:

1 - 20 of 73 Posts