Survivalist Forum banner

Les vs. Bear

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Shoot, move, communicate.
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Les vs. Bear

Between Survivorman (Les) and Man vs. Wild (bear), who do you favor and why?

Sorry, if this thread allready happened. I'm new here.

·
Dominate to Serve
2,432 Posts
In a fistfight? Bear. In a survival situation? Les.

This has been covered ad nauseum but, as you said, you're new :). Welcome.

·
Shoot, move, communicate.
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know Bear uses a crew, but I seen Les quit on his own show. He could have made it he just didn't want to go on. Utah has too much, or something.
And I agree, Bear would kick his ass.

·
CHEERS :p
1,946 Posts
The very sad part of all this....Ray Mears would chew up Bear in a fight and leave Les in a dust storm....

Ray Mears is able to do alot more than Grylls or Stroud, thats my opinion anyways..

All shows are good to take what you need from each one but no show is perfect.

·
Come quickly Lord
2,049 Posts
You're asking real vs. fake? My vote is for the real. Bear's stuff is staged. Les does his own stuff without a crew nearby.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I prefer Les, not to mention he doesn't mind puking his guts out on camra when he eats something that doesn't agree with him :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ok, now I dont know if this has ever been discussed on this forum, but I am curious to know....

Who would you choose between the best "survivalist" of either Bear Grylls or Les Stroud? And Why?

Now, Les is amazing and does everything on his own and Bear has a camera crew. But to Bear's defense, he has climbed Mt. Everest and he also flew over Mt. Everest.

My choice: Les Stroud.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Both aren't the pinnacle of survival knowledge, however Les Stroud doesn't do generally stupid stuff. I have seen Les build some dumb as hell survival shelters, but the guy admits his mistakes and explains why they are mistakes.

Personally I think Bear Girls... I mean Grylls is hype and a flashy smile. So he climbed Everest.... great hes in shape, that doesn't make him a survival expert by a stretch. Also his credentials, and the scam(I'm in the wild but really I am not) crap just sickatates me.

Les Stroud may not be perfect but at least he is honest and shows mostly valid stuff.

·
Banned
9,787 Posts
I like Les, but his show is a yawn fest. Yes we know you shoot it yourself. Yes we know you have a chronic problem with foot fungus. You can eat a coconut? I only had you tell me that on 46 different shows.

Also, the harmonica and the dry monotone voiceovers make me cringe.

But Bear is a lying wimp.

I'd vote for Les.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
"Survivalist" can mean many things. It can be people beating the crap out of others and taking their provisions. In this case I would choose Bear Grylls to whupp Stroud's a$$. Les can set up his little camp and Bear would just stomp him and take what he needs. :p

·
Registered
538 Posts
bear is way more hardcore than les. for those of you who dont know much about wilderness survival, watch les, you might learn something. for those with survival skills, who want to see a skilled man take on some wicked terrain in very extreme enviroments, bear is the way to go. so what if he doesnt stay in the wild the whole time, he does it so he can cover more area and teach more, rather than just plopping down in one place and complaining the whole time.

·
Plays best, alone
4,948 Posts
bear is way more hardcore than les. for those of you who dont know much about wilderness survival, watch les, you might learn something. for those with survival skills, who want to see a skilled man take on some wicked terrain in very extreme enviroments, bear is the way to go.
HTML:
so what if he doesnt stay in the wild the whole time, he does it so he can cover more area and teach more, rather than just plopping down in one place and complaining the whole time.
HTML:
So you mean he fakes it, so he can show himself entering the jungle, eating some crap find a little water to wash it down and then exiting jungle before the production people have to go actually save his a$$.:xeye:

·
Camo nut
219 Posts
I wouldn't choose either. If I wanted to learn anything I would get Ray mears. He has a greater knowledge of bush craft and old survival techniques, he doesn't go in balls and all and put himself into stupid situations.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts