Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first impression, the company is using Bear Grylls as the only selling point. No where is the type of material listed, nor is the rockwell hardness posted. For £350 or $700 this "survival knife" is WAY over priced. Other professionally made knifes sell for less then $300. So I am wondering why this knife cost almost twice of what other knifes in the same group cost?

http://www.bayleyknife.com/beargrylls.htm

This practical hand made model was designed in collaboration with Bear Grylls for the 'Man vs. Wild' and 'Born survivor Bear Grylls' TV series. This is 'Bears knife of choice', and as you would expect, it is made to last thanks to a strong full tang assembly method featuring a unique one piece guard.

The design criteria demanded a knife that was not too large, remaining light and slim enough to be carried unobtrusively without getting in the way, yet still perform when required.

Check out the cool bead blasted handle to aid grip, also the hand polished clip point blade made from RWL swedish powder steel for serious use. It comes with Bear's action sheath featuring horizontal carry with extra knife detainment, or on request a traditional full leather pouch-type sheath can be supplied.

Please note: this knife is designed to be used primarily as a high quality cutting tool - it will take hard use but is not a sharpened pry bar.
Blade size

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
Cool TV show. Probably all of us have watched it and know who he is. Too bad I didn't think of it. Well, maybe not. I use to do, for free, what Adam Saddler is paid millions to do. That's what I should have thought of first.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
No where is the type of material listed, nor is the rockwell hardness posted. [/url]
Hey Kev, Did you check out the technical info page? Here's on blurb taken from it:

The steel I use is always RWL a modern powder metallurgy steel that has a fine grain and carbide structure after a specific heat treatment calculated to get the best overall performance from the steel by An Interrupted quenching and multiple tempering technique to give hardness in the aim of 60rc. As a cost option patterned Damasteel can be offered for something very special both of these steels are specifically made for knife blades, chosen because they sharpen well and hold a strong fine edge.
I can't imagine paying $700 for a knife... no, that's not quite true, what I can't imagine is telling my wife I paid $700 for a knife!

Cheers,
-Per.

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
Keep well away!
A lot of hype, half the price and it might be fair.:eek:
I think the bloke selling them is marketing them at the people who buy
Ray Mears Wilkinson Sword bushcraft knives.
These are collectors knives, usually not bought to be used, but kept to be sold as a profit in years to come.
The Wilkinson Sword knives are excellent British style bushcraft knives with a Scandinavian style blade grind.
Have a look at BritishBlades to see some excellent UK knives.

YB.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Maybe its just me,but I'd swear I've seen him use at least three different knives,one was a Gerber Gator folder.I have two or three of those,and they ran maybe ?$30? I wonder if ole' Bear films with the Uber knife,but does the work with a $40 clunker.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
Maybe the price was for the british pound, which is worth a LOT more than the USD, especially now that the dollar is dieing

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
If that were the case,it would take less,not more,pound units to purchase it.A weak currency means it take many more of any given denomination of currency to purchase a given product. A very good current example is Zimbabwe(Rhodesia) where it literally takes a wheel barrow full of money to buy a nice dinner.

·
Registered
346 Posts
The company that makes Bears knife makes the same exact knife with out the signature for about $350 less same steel same design handle style everything.

·
Read Only
251 Posts
I hear ya! I'll stick with my Becker Crewman $38.99. $700.00 hah, what a farce. Like they always said, " If you have more money than sense, someone is always willing to balance that equation"

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.