Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't believe it. My favorite was the 25 pounds, assorted types including rice for $150.

I have just taken it for granted because my Walmart has been OK but WTF?

·
Forward, into the fray!
3,681 Posts
Some kind of scam, no doubt. I just bought a 25 pound bag of light pintos for $12 at a Mexican supermarket. I plan to plant a couple of 50ft rows of them. Should take about five pounds of it. Beans are stupid simple to grow, and by winter my beans will be stupid cheap.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Thats true. Lots taking advantage of panic. Wonder who is actually paying prices like that?
But wholesale price on beans is up about a third from last year with high demand. Store expenses are up so prices have to reflect that.

·
Indefatigable
20,119 Posts
If you want cheap prices for legumes and rice of all types and spices you have to willing to shop in Middle Eastern, Hispanic and Indian markets. OR you can pay $150 and wait 6 weeks.

Reactions: IamZeke

·
NRA Life 1971
8,434 Posts
I've seen big price jumps for meat but beans have been stable.
Oops, didn't notice it was for online goods.

·
Registered
16,143 Posts
We paid I think $19.98 for 25 pounds of pintos a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was a bit high but I was sure it wasn't going to get any cheaper. Now white beans, I just can't find (dried). Navy, white northern anything at any price locally. I haven't tried the restaurant supply yet, so we might go there next time we are down the hill.

·
Swift Justice = 2950fps
10,446 Posts
We paid I think $19.98 for 25 pounds of pintos a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was a bit high but I was sure it wasn't going to get any cheaper. Now white beans, I just can't find (dried). Navy, white northern anything at any price locally. I haven't tried the restaurant supply yet, so we might go there next time we are down the hill.
3 super Walmart’s and 1 Walmart grocery only. ALL 4 are well stock with dried beans and posta.

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,668 Posts
Sometimes prices like that are a simple mistake. I was at Walmart's site and they had a canned item, 4 pack for like $2.50 or a single can of it for $9.20. It happens. Though I have run across scads of obvious scams online in the last couple months.

·
Registered
452 Posts
The bean prices online have been high during all this coronastupid. And local places have had little to none, in beans, rice, and peanut butter.

·
Registered
8,204 Posts
Well, I guess that is the rest of the story

Last Fall I read on-line that the bean harvest on the North American continent had been unusually poor, and so I bought some black beans for my preps. They were talking about a harvest that was around one-half of what it usually was.

I suspect that the stores like Wall-Mart that cater to blue-collar or middle class people have decided to not mark up their beans very much in order to keep the customers who would also buy beef and produce and such

At any rate, last Fall I bought 2 cases of black beans and added them to our preps, because at 50 cents a can they were a very good hedge against any price increases.

I HAD posted about the poor harvest here, but it is a very active site and it is a coin toss as to what any person will see and what will not be seen

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had a lot going on last year. :rofl: My house was destroyed, all my preps went to storage... only half made it back :mad: including 90% of my canned goods. I guess it is a good thing they saw my self-packed mylar as "gross and unsanitary".

But I lost a lot of canned food. I believe it made it into storage but the virus had just hit when I asked for it all back and I believe the movers stole it.

Short version: if I had bought a lot of preps last year I likely would have lost them, too. I did manage to restock the last couple months.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh, I have a lot of lentils and some split peas for my husband (he loves the peas, I don't). I was just looking...:eek:

·
Registered
5,638 Posts
Check Aldi for your northern beans. 2 lb bag $1.69. Here they are getting restocked on canned and dry goods regularly and their prices haven't gone up. The Costco Business and restaurant supply’s have pintos, black, red, and garbanzo, but no white beans.
Does TX have ALDI now? It's been years, but I remember more than once MikeK lamenting the fact that they did not have an ALDI there.

Also check out Dollar General. They have dry beans and I think they are only very slightly higher priced than ALDI. The stores here only had pinto and black.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,685 Posts
If you want cheap prices for legumes and rice of all types and spices you have to willing to shop in Middle Eastern, Hispanic and Indian markets. OR you can pay $150 and wait 6 weeks.
So right.

Purple Kitty, you live in Houston where we have big Latino markets, Asian markets, and the Middle East shopping area around Hillcroft and SW Freeway.

I realize online shopping is convenient but our city has all the brick and mortar places for food cheap, not to mention Grocers Supply.

I know you don't drive but you need to mooch a driver for a day. Call around town and plan it out.

You live in one of the best places to buy food anywhere in the world. Find a way to utilize it.

If Jojo can find all these resources in her smaller Oklahoma region then just think what a huge and extremely diversified Gulf Coast port can offer.

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,668 Posts
Does TX have ALDI now? It's been years, but I remember more than once MikeK lamenting the fact that they did not have an ALDI there.

Also check out Dollar General. They have dry beans and I think they are only very slightly higher priced than ALDI. The stores here only had pinto and black.
We don't have Aldi in my part of TX. But we also don't have HEB either which is all over the rest of the state. I've written to Aldi letting them know about our market and hoping they might move into it. No such luck yet.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts