Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the forum but didn't find much as far as Beach survival. I'll be headed south down the coast of Texas this coming weekend and was curious what you guys normally carry. I'll have my pickup with plenty of room to haul whatever I need, but, I also want to try and go "light", taking only what I need. The way my mind works... If I got stuck 100 miles down the beach for 2 days, 2 weeks, or longer and didn't see another soul, what would I need to have on me to survive...

Should make for a fun topic of discussion... I look forward to hearing what you guys have to say.

Mike

·
Woodland Survivalist
646 Posts
Make sure it isnt windy!!! I camped on assateague island once and it was very windy. It was like a constant sandstorm, making it hard to see and breathe. When I awoke the next morning in my tent, sand had covered one side of it. My friend was still sleeping and the tent wall was over him but not me. Crazy stuff!!

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
American Express(in case it gets to windy), don't leave home without it and your fishing license and gear, bug repellent.

·
Slush Butter Knife
326 Posts
Snorkel, flippers, goggles, spear gun, nets, artificial lures, sunscreen, buckets, fresh water! and a good knife for opening up clams, etc.

·
Founder
16,869 Posts
Your going to be camping on a beach in Texas? From my experiences:

Expect lots of wind - One time I tried using a single burner coleman stove and had problems keeping it lit. I had to put it on the ground behind my truck tire to block the wind.

BUG SPRAY - a lot of beaches along texas border a salt marsh. about 20 years ago Texas was invaded by the Tiger Mosquito - which is an aggressive type of mosquito that bites in daylight hours. Depending on weather, time of year, temps,,, you might get ate up day and night.

Nylon Tow Strap - a really long one, and a couple of 6 - 8 ton shackles

Sun block - so you dont come back toasty red.

Hat and sun glasses - figure that one out yourself.

5 day igloo or coleman ice chest - freeze 1 gallon bottles of water and put them in the ice chest. My 5 day igloo extreme ice chest had ice in it for 3 days on the Galveston, Texas beach in June of 2008.

Good tent - so the wind does not blow it down or blow it apart.

Food you do not have to cook really good - like hot dogs.

Fishing License - so you dont get busted by the game warden.

Fishing gear - off the beach sometimes you can catch reds, sand sharks, sting rays. Be sure to include a tape measure. Some fish have a size regulation on them.

Cast Net - so you can catch your own bait.

My wife and I camped on the beach in June of 2008. The wind kept me half awake all night long. My buddy was getting married and rented a beach house. Instead of sleeping in the house, my wife and I camped about 100 feet from the water.

Dont forget some maps - so you can see what towns are close to your location.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Step 1: Don't camp on the beach. Sand gets everywhere, it's usually windy, damp, etc.
I agree with him, find a camp spot on some grass instead of in the sand. Like he said sand gets everywhere if you do, including in your drawers & socks and everything else if ya aint careful. :xeye:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts