Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm writing this from my phone so I apologize if it is hard to read.

I'm going tent camping this weekend with my girlfriend and my two dogs for some much needed r/r and to do some fishing.

Can y'all please comment on some necesary items that y'all believe would pertain to this location?

Also any survival skills you would practice with the given opportunity would be great suggestions!

Ill be sure to post pics next week!

·
Be Prepared
295 Posts
here are some of my suggestions.

1. how much fresh water you can recover in the time that you are there from the sea water solar stills.

2. If you are boating & island camping if that is available in the area? see how much reusable material is recoverable (there is alway human waste on all the beaches of the world how much can you make use of. aka ropes, bottles, or anything that you find that is just interesting that it is there in the first place.)

·
Beginner's Mind
1,681 Posts
I'm writing this from my phone so I apologize if it is hard to read.

I'm going tent camping this weekend with my girlfriend and my two dogs for some much needed r/r and to do some fishing.

Can y'all please comment on some necesary items that y'all believe would pertain to this location?

Also any survival skills you would practice with the given opportunity would be great suggestions!

Ill be sure to post pics next week!
Sunscreen and portable shade for sure. Solar shower.

I'm really jealous. I've been there and love it. Sometimes the jellyfish can be a pain so watch out for them.

·
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
173 Posts
Sunscreen and shade are a must for South Texas. Plenty of water to split amongst any adult beverages to prevent dehydration. Some gallons of water to wash sand off feet and maybe even some tar-off because every now and then those beaches will wash up little globs of tar. Thanks BP for that little treat.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the ideas! Im really liking what im hearing.

Im only taking sides as I plan to eat great sea food all weekend and hopefully catch enough to deep freeze

·
Registered
629 Posts
When beach camping, I like to keep a small broom with me and some good beach shoes. The broom is great for sand that gets effing everywhere. Have fun, be safe!

·
Beware of the dog!
1,941 Posts
I did this in 1985, but I will try to remember. We slept in open ended tents to allow the wind to blow across us from off the water. This constant breeze kept the bugs off of us, no mosquito or fly problems at all as long as you allowed the wind to blow through. a light sleeping bag was plenty to keep warm, but bring a cotton sheet to use inside the sleeping bag or as your blanket because everything will be damp and if it isn't cotton it may feel uncomfortable. We slept on cots, but if you are on the ground you may want plastic under your sleeping bag or under the tent as a moisture barrier. Bring an extra hand towel to use to wipe sand off your feet, you may be surprised how often you might need to do this. Sun screen is a must but we still hit the shade everyday between 11:00am and 1:00pm, this was the perfect time for a nap. Have a wind break, or build one out of sand, to make a cooking fire more useful, or the wind may cool things off while you are trying to heat them. A lighter, and a couple extra lighters, and maybe some fire starter material like coated cotton balls or similar.

Plenty of water for you two and the dogs, and some extra water for the dogs.

Have a great time. This was the best camping vacation I ever had and I wish I could do it again.

I don't know if it works, but they told us they had meat tenderizer to put on jelly fish stings if anyone got stung, but we never got stung. Get the dry rub kind of tenderizer and make a past with some water and cake it on the sting. Or pee on it.

Oh, and as for the tar blobs, they were there 30 years ago too. BP dumped a bunch more last year but there is plenty of natural seepage to keep it coming for almost ever. Usually it is pretty solid and coated with sand, I think only once did one of us have to use vegetable oil to wash the tar off a foot.

·
HOPE4BEST&PREP4WORST
493 Posts
You may have this already covered but i'd say find out how far and at what time high tide is in that area if camping near the shore, take a first aid kit, watch out for jelly fish, check belts and hoses on your vehicle, get the phone numbers of parts stores and of mobile mechanics in that area just in case, make sure everyone knows what to do if caught in a rip current, keep an on on kids at all times and don't swim or walk too far out, mosquito spray may be needed at night if there is no wind. There is a lot of very dry brush(fire hazard) out there due to the drought, so keep that in mind if you camp near an area with lots of dead vegetation.
Good Luck and hope you enjoy your vacation.

·
Banned
3,048 Posts
I always take a gallon zip lock bag full of clean wash clothes and a gallon bucket with a lid. getting a quick wash up with fresh water when you are out in the salt alday is realy nice. Wash clothes are good for soothing sunburn when dipped in ice water and for soothing jellyfish stings also. Take unseasoned meat tenderizer for the jelly fish if you get stung make a paste of lotion & meat tenderizer and cover with a cool cloth. Before you go freeze as many 2ltr soda bottles of water than your freezer can fit. These stay frozen a long time and if they thaw provide extra drinking or washing water. Stay hydrated, get out of the sun from 3-6pm & have a blast.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
- Bring ammonia for jellyfish stings. If you get stung, put ammonia on the sting site, just dribble it on a bit, let it sit for minute, repeat until pain is bearable. This also works for sea urchin stings. Some species have venom in their spines.

- Bring heavy duty garbage bags to keep stuff dry if it rains. Bring string or spring clamps to keep the bags closed.

- Bring a clear plastic jar that you can see through, so if you catch a small ocean critter, you can put him the jar and watch him. (These generally have pretzels or cheezy poofs in them.)

·
Kibitzer
6,631 Posts
When you see a clump of seaweed floating towards beach, pick it up and wait for all the little critters to fall out into your net.
Caught a seaweed fish that way.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Was down there a year ago. VERY cool place. Hope you have a 4x4 if you want to go south a ways. A couple spare tires might be a good idea too, lots of odd crap laying around down there to screw up a tire. Cell phone reception not so good there either. Bring a tow strap just in case. And plenty of beer! (good to bribe someone to pull you out)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh I will definately have plenty of beer!

I have a 95 F150 4.9l single cab short bed with a 9" lift and 35" tires. I think it can handle it. :)

Tow rope is a good idea. I have one from work that we use to lift engines in my toolbox along with a couple of shackles. I'll have my one spare with me...speaking of, Ive been trying to think of a way to relocate the spare so that I can have the full capacity of the bed of my truck...Anybody have any experiece with this?

I wish I could use a bronco tailgate, but the f150 doesn't have the support beams for the extra weight.

Also as I said before, I want to run a tarp off tide of my vehicle for shade, but I'm not sure what to use to keep the other sides that are off the vehicle up?

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Oh I will definately have plenty of beer!

I have a 95 F150 4.9l single cab short bed with a 9" lift and 35" tires. I think it can handle it. :)

Tow rope is a good idea. I have one from work that we use to lift engines in my toolbox along with a couple of shackles. I'll have my one spare with me...speaking of, Ive been trying to think of a way to relocate the spare so that I can have the full capacity of the bed of my truck...Anybody have any experiece with this?

I wish I could use a bronco tailgate, but the f150 doesn't have the support beams for the extra weight.

Also as I said before, I want to run a tarp off tide of my vehicle for shade, but I'm not sure what to use to keep the other sides that are off the vehicle up?
Re. the tarp. I do the same thing with my van. Get some telescoping tent poles for the outside corners, you know the kind that have a tapered end. Blunt end goes on the ground and tapered end goes through a tarp gromment. Then tie out to a ground anchor. Could be a rock or any other large piece of debri thats laying around. Use bungees and cord. The bungees will absorb the wind gusts and prevent tearing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts