Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work 2 jobs, for a total of 7 days a week. I work hard for the things I currently own. Today at my weekend job, some one cut the catalytic converter from under my truck with what looks like an electric saw. They also did a **** job at it and #^%$ed some other stuff up while they where doing it. I only worked for 4 hours, so if I had left work earlier, there is a good chance I might of run into the people who where taking it. I am now out hundreds of dollars and no truck till it gets fixed. Keep an extra eye on the important things you work for. It's only going to get worse.

·
Not To Reason Why...
1,966 Posts
We've had a rash of these only from toyota pickups and early model SUV's all toyotas, it only takes them 5-8 minutes to get it out and go. It may cost up to 1500 to replace and they only get about 50-75 bucks at a junk yard. Go to those places first and ask who they bought a catalytic converter from and give that info to the police.

On a side note if your state doesn't have required smog tests, you can replace the catalytic converter with a dual exhaust for about 300 bucks instead of paying over 600-1,000 to replace the converter.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
sorry to hear about your loss. break ins have picked up where i live too and some one or more then 1 siphoned gas out of 10 rigs down the road from me. My dog lets me know when something isnt right. I put up more sensor lights. not much more i can do maybe some of those [HUNTING TRAIL CAMERAS]

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
What a shame. I have seen an increase in this type of thing as well. I know a fellow that had his battery and radiator stolen from his truck the other day! It was an older model pick-up he used on the farm daily. These punks took the time to remove the entire dang radiator in broad daylight. I don't recommend them stopping by here....at all.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Be Careful

I know this isn't what your going to want to hear, but be careful with this. If you violate the law while trying to defend your own property, you could be the one going to jail, not them. Make sure everything is on the money if your going to do this. Meet force used with equal force. Don't let these swine use the criminal justice system against you.

·
American fearmaker
14,249 Posts
They are also hitting junk yards real hard around the area where I live. These guys take the converters and sell them for scrap metal. Word on the street is that a guy can get like $70.00 each for them.

·
Registered
734 Posts
They are also hitting junk yards real hard around the area where I live. These guys take the converters and sell them for scrap metal. Word on the street is that a guy can get like $70.00 each for them.
Thats nuts! You used to be able to get new ones for $60. Guess that must be different now. It's very difficult to watch this stuff all the time. Luckily I park in a parking garage with guards.

·
Renaissance Man
7,503 Posts
"schlack-clack" says FarmerChads 12 gauge. Crime has risen in our town as well. Might as well get used to it.
I disagree. Fight it tooth and nail. Do not accept it. Use every resource you can.

I had the tonneau cover stolen off my pickup truck one night. I'm not even sure when it happened as I don't drive that truck all the time.

So I went next door where a half dozen local kids were hanging out. I asked them if anyone knew about it. They all said no. Then I told them that there was a $200 reward for the cover, and a further $200 reward for the name of the person that took it. (My deductible was $500, so I was ahead of the game even with the reward)

10 minutes later, I'm standing in my garage and a 9 year old kid came up and told me who took it. It was a 17 yo kid about three houses down. I put the dog on a leash and took a walk down the street. Sure enough, his truck had a cover on it that wasn't there before. Hmm. He had one of those lowered mini trucks with the mural on the tailgate, fancy paint job, and fancy wheels. Even though he was 17 and had no job. Hmm.

I was going to knock on the door and talk to the kid, but my wife convinced me to call the police. She told me that if I went down there, I would probably be the one in jail later. :D: She knows me well.

So I called the cops. They dragged the kid out of the house and talked to him. They removed the cover and brought it over to me to show me. It was not my cover. The cops looked very disappointed. But the cover was clearly not for his truck, it had been cut to fit his truck. So they were very suspicious. The kid called the mom, and she came home. The cops asked to look around in the garage. Mom said ok, the cops found a ton of stuff that had been stolen from our neighbors. Tools, car parts, lawnmowers, etc. They asked the mom to look in his room. She said ok. They found more stolen goods.

By this time, more cops had shown up, including detectives and the state bureau of investigation. Later that day, they arrested 2 more kids, and by that evening, one or more of the kids had rolled over on a local pawn shop owner that was paying them to steal stuff. He would give them a list, and they would go steal stuff for him. He was arrested the next day, and the pawn shop was closed down.

The moral of this story is that I tried. I didn't even try hard. I simply looked and called the cops with a tiny shred of evidence. But the cops ran with it and not only arrested 3 kids for theft, but exposed a theft ring. Criminals do what they do because we accept it. Don't accept it. Fight back!

And fwiw, I didn't have to pay the kid his reward because they never found my cover, although those covers were one of the things on the list that the pawn shop owner wanted, so it was clear that one of those kids took it. But I did give the kid $50 and helped him build a go cart. I believe in positive reinforcement. ;)

Az

·
Deplorable and Proud
248 Posts
it doesnt take much to have a positive influence on a community. Thank you for doing what you did and making the world that much safer and crime free

·
cleaning crew
3,113 Posts
had that happened to me last year. the thieves get maybe a $100-$200 for the converters, but it cost me $700 to repair. and had i gone with oem parts, it would have been well over $3000. i could say i was fortunate that they didn't mess up the oxygen sensor, that would have been expensive.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I disagree. Fight it tooth and nail. Do not accept it. Use every resource you can.

I had the tonneau cover stolen off my pickup truck one night. I'm not even sure when it happened as I don't drive that truck all the time.

So I went next door where a half dozen local kids were hanging out. I asked them if anyone knew about it. They all said no. Then I told them that there was a $200 reward for the cover, and a further $200 reward for the name of the person that took it. (My deductible was $500, so I was ahead of the game even with the reward)

10 minutes later, I'm standing in my garage and a 9 year old kid came up and told me who took it. It was a 17 yo kid about three houses down. I put the dog on a leash and took a walk down the street. Sure enough, his truck had a cover on it that wasn't there before. Hmm. He had one of those lowered mini trucks with the mural on the tailgate, fancy paint job, and fancy wheels. Even though he was 17 and had no job. Hmm.

I was going to knock on the door and talk to the kid, but my wife convinced me to call the police. She told me that if I went down there, I would probably be the one in jail later. :D: She knows me well.

So I called the cops. They dragged the kid out of the house and talked to him. They removed the cover and brought it over to me to show me. It was not my cover. The cops looked very disappointed. But the cover was clearly not for his truck, it had been cut to fit his truck. So they were very suspicious. The kid called the mom, and she came home. The cops asked to look around in the garage. Mom said ok, the cops found a ton of stuff that had been stolen from our neighbors. Tools, car parts, lawnmowers, etc. They asked the mom to look in his room. She said ok. They found more stolen goods.

By this time, more cops had shown up, including detectives and the state bureau of investigation. Later that day, they arrested 2 more kids, and by that evening, one or more of the kids had rolled over on a local pawn shop owner that was paying them to steal stuff. He would give them a list, and they would go steal stuff for him. He was arrested the next day, and the pawn shop was closed down.

The moral of this story is that I tried. I didn't even try hard. I simply looked and called the cops with a tiny shred of evidence. But the cops ran with it and not only arrested 3 kids for theft, but exposed a theft ring. Criminals do what they do because we accept it. Don't accept it. Fight back!

And fwiw, I didn't have to pay the kid his reward because they never found my cover, although those covers were one of the things on the list that the pawn shop owner wanted, so it was clear that one of those kids took it. But I did give the kid $50 and helped him build a go cart. I believe in positive reinforcement. ;)

Az
Simply Awesome :thumb:

Only thing better would have been if they had found your cover :(

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that. It's damned shame that we have low life scum running around stealing from hard working folks. If you ever read the drudge report, he has links to many stories from local media covering this type of crime. The National media can't be counted on to cover it, so it appears that crime is not on the upswing, when it clearly is. IMO, just another way the media is protecting the President.

·
Lux in Tenebris
6,913 Posts
Obviously this kind of schitt is going to become worse....I live in a community that has lots with homes still under construction and when i "walk my dog," i am aware and prepared to deal with construction site and any other theft....I'm tired of this schitt....

·
Not To Reason Why...
1,966 Posts
Obviously this kind of schitt is going to become worse....I live in a community that has lots with homes still under construction and when i "walk my dog," i am aware and prepared to deal with construction site and any other theft....I'm tired of this schitt....
It's the construction workers.....Every winter we get lots of roofers out here, and a rash of robberies, they leave, no robberies, hmmm, I spotted the patter years ago.

·
Lux in Tenebris
6,913 Posts
Yeah...I busted a couple trying to boost a fridge from an empty, near closed home....They were thinking two on one until my asp baton came out and large maglight....

They split without the fridge....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts