Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, my buddies and I have hashed this situation out quite a bit, so I feel obligated to share it:

The subject is: The use of pepper-spray.

Buy 1/2 dozen bottles of pepper-spray. Give one to your wife to keep in her purse, tape one to the underside of her deck lid on her trunk, and put one in the console in the front of her car. Keep a couple yourself. Why?

Most of us carry guns. I live in East TN and a ton of people carry guns. But when your wife is in the Wal-Mart parking lot loading her gifts into the trunk of her car, she probably won't turn around and shoot some douche bag trying to nab her purse. But, she probably wouldn't think twice about spraying him.

I've bought some for my wife and I told her to spray everyone that gets close, harasses her, or looks at her wrong. The holidays are a great time for purse nabbings in Wally world parking lots. Help protect your wife/daughters, etc. by getting them some pepper spray. Don't forget to practice with them either!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would suggest an OC (Oleoresin Capsicum) spray with at least 2,000,000 SHU's like the one on my belt right now. If you have a choice get a stream vs. a fog type pattern, blow back sucks. Also stay away from foam & gel type spray's. Also explain to them what to expect when they do spray the bad guy/girl, he/she is going to be in a lot of pain, blinded, screaming, gasping for breath, begging for help, (this can be scary to someone who has never seen it happen), then you spray them more, go nuts empty the can on their face, once it is used more than a test spray, replace the can with a new one.

·
I have nothing to say
501 Posts
I carry pepper spray at all times, and an SOG twitch. I remember the day when somebody an a forum suggested that the combination of pepper spray and a knife had certain advantages. When my thoughts clicked, I bought a triple spray and have collected several open-assisted knives.

There's only been one time I flipped the sprayer and was ready to go with it. It was some dumbass dog owner who was OBVIOUSLY not in control of his dog. He had some large breed of dog that was way too much for him to handle, and we were approaching each other on a fairly narrow sidewalk. I could tell he was getting dragged around by his dog, so I stepped off the sidewalk and out into the street, and looked at the dog owner like he was a dumbass. He never even tried to rein in his hound, so I pulled my pepper spray and readied it. Even though the dog made a move for me and the owner kind of halfway tried to hold his dog at bay, I could tell nothing was going to happen so I just stayed ready and circled around the long way.

It looked like a good dog, he just needed a stronger hand. Kind of a shame if you ask me. But no harm no foul. I hope that guy learns how to train his dog to interact properly with other people.

·
Go to guy
661 Posts
OC spray is a great idea just make sure that you know what you are dealing with. Many people carry and have only recieved the 10 second "Point and spray" training that is on the label. Know what your doing first. It does not take that much time to do that.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
If your going this route get Fox Labs chemical weapons. They are the highest quality available on the open market. Always buy a can twice as large as you think you need and pay attention to if its stream or fog. Light wing kills fog but stream can be brought back on target.

·
Knocked Down But Up Again
5,579 Posts
Unfortunately for some of us, several states do not allow the possession or the use of pepper spray.

::::ahem::::

That doesn't necessarily mean that I don't have any of that stuff, myself. A gal will always need to defend herself.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If pepper spray is illegal in your state, deadly weapon that it is :D:, couldn't you get a trial version of hair spray or a water pistol with hot pepper juice? I imagine that it might surprise an attacker to get sprayed in the eye with hot pepper sauce.

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts
I bought my mother a big can of Kodiak bear pepper spray. Its a BIG can.

It is supposed to be used on Kodiak Bears up in Alaska and is strong enough to actually stop them in their tracks. I forget how strong it is but it was something like 5 times stronger than anything available locally.

She already has a CCW but keeps the gun locked up so its not much use to her. However the pepper spray sits on the kitchen table, always within reach. I guess she is much more comfortable shooting the pepper spray than the pistol. Personally I think the end result would be pretty much the same.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
If you happen have to have both pepper and a tazer or stun gun, use the tazer first. Tazing someone after hitting them with pepper will very likely cause ignition. This could be good or bad depending on your situation.

Better to be tried by twelve than carried by six!

·
Registered
171 Posts
i agree pepper spray is very necessary for women and men alike that being said what could i use if pepper spray is illegal. I live in new york the 2nd most liberal state in the union. Is their an effective alternative. sry is this is hijacking the thread but you opened my eyes about the evil side of the holiday season.

·
Will let you beg for food
793 Posts
Unfortunately for some of us, several states do not allow the possession or the use of pepper spray.

::::ahem::::

That doesn't necessarily mean that I don't have any of that stuff, myself. A gal will always need to defend herself.
we too in canada are not allowed it but do have a dog spray that oddly is the exact chemicals as pepper spray..go figure...and well since i do walk a lot and i have kids i am afraid of big dogs attacking us so that is why i have 'dog spray'

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This country is getting out of hand. We outlaw guns, we outlaw pepper-spray, I guess next we begin by outlawing knives, then all kitchen knives, all kitchen utensils, hand tools, bats, sticks, and since your hand can be used as a weapon, then hands, then feet, and before long we are all just little heads sitting around unable to use anything as a weapon. What a bunch of idiots!!!

·
TrailBlazer
734 Posts
The holidays are a great time to get trampled at Wallys World too.:eek:::eek:::D:

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The holidays are a great time to get trampled at Wallys World too.:eek:::eek:::D:
That is one sad situation. Some poor soul was trying to make some extra money around the holidays by filling in as a temp/holiday worker and he dies because of a bunch of greedy, idiotic animals. Ridiculous.

·
Looking upward
211 Posts
WAIT A MIN! Before y'all go crazy and buy a load of pepper spray and demand everyone around you uses it, you need to realize that if you are not trained with it, you can incapacitate yourself and thus make yourself an even easier target than if you did not have it at all!
If a person doesn't stop to think what they are doing and uses it down wind, they will blind themselves. You almost always will receive some contamination. I React HIGHLY to this stuff. I refuse to carry it. If I receive any blow back I can guarantee that I will be blind and my eyes will swell shut.
I have trained with CS and had no problem. BUT OC is bad stuff for me. So, do yourself a favor and see what your reaction is like. The worst time to find out is when you are relying on it to get you OUT of a bad situation.

I have to add..... this stuff causes excruciating pain, difficulty breathing, and disorientation, ESPECIALLY in someone who doesn't know what to expect.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just sharing a story...
I bought my wife a small pressurized pepper spray canister that can fit on your key-chain. She drove to school one day and I picked her up after school as we were going to a home and garden store later and I was going to drop her back off after we were done.

After spending a few hours in the store we returned to my truck and proceeded to drive back to her car. About 20mins of driving my wife mentioned she was having a hard time breathing. Her nose starting to run, eyes watering etc. Looking down I noticed that the pepper spray canister exploded (gets hot in the summer in AZ) as she had left her keys in my truck while we were shopping.

*Things start to get ugly

We make it back to her car I drop her off the pepper spray isnt doing to much to me (had a lot of exposure to much worse in the military) and we agree to get a bite to eat before heading home. I get a phone call "GARRR MY BLANK IS ON FIRE!!!!!!" I look down at the passenger seat and sure enough the pepper spray stain is quite obvious. She had picked up her keys and placed them between her legs as we were driving. So i get to the restaurant where she is waiting with bottle of water in hand and we had a dis-robe / bath in the parking lot with her trying to hid from view in the seat.

Bit more to the story but I think I will end it there. Moral of the story don't put pressurized pepper spray in your car.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts