Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
10,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I guess thats as basic a Question that I can ask. Should I be putting the Ashes from my BBQ into my Compost Bin?
This is my first Year taking Gardening seriously, and I have learned so much here.
Just like to hear some info on how others have gotten along with adding BBQ Ashes to their Compost.

Any info or Thoughts will be appreciated, as I'm kinda' new at the whole Gardening thing. Not ashamed to admit it, I just want to learn, so please no Flaming.:confused:

·
Just the facts, Ma'am.
2,070 Posts
I would think that it would make it harder for your compost pile to work. It would turn the environment basic, which might be detrimental to the bacteria and other critters that breakdown wastes. I have read that some doesn't hurt. Do you use briquettes or whole chunk charcoal? Ashes from whole chunk could be used to make sodium hydroxide for soap making. Look that up on the internet, and I'll bet you find some methods and recipes for that!

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
Charcoal is the product of burned wood, with a few other additives. As wood ash is compostable, this is also true of other wood products, including charcoal. There are 2 conditions to this. First, the charcoal itself should be basic wood. Beware of preservatives and other additives to make the product burn. For example, some charcoal burns the wood, leaving only a ‘binder’ chemical as the ash that is not suitable for composting.

The second condition is that wood ash itself may only be used in composts to a limited degree—around 1 cup per foot of compost—as large amounts of wood result in a loss of nitrogen in the soil. As with wood ash, only use a similar cupful of ash for each foot of compost. So long as you don’t barbeque every day, however, charcoal BBQ ash is perfectly safe to put into your compost pile or bin.

Ashes are very alkaline BUT the alkalinity can easily be washed away. So if your compost is open to the weather and you get decent rainfall ashes are just fine. I compost my burn barrel ashes but my compost is rather large, open to the weather, and we get a lot of rain.

ETA: I also have a lot of chicken manure in my compost which helps balance out the amount of ashes and work well together since we heat with wood = lots of ashes.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
WOOD ash yes, or if you are using PURE hardwood charcoal (lump form).

Preformed briquettes like Kingsford and other store brands are not suitable for compost. They contain many additives and other filler material that ain't good for the garden.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts