Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what's the best way to store batteries in the event of a solar flare? car batteries what spare parts you need? I googled it but no luck in a answer

·
The Scorpion
171 Posts
If the batteries aren't hooked up to anything they'll be probably be fine.

If you're really worried about losing stuff to flares or EMP's you should make or buy a Faraday cage for it.

Also check out http://www.faradaybag.com/ they provide the bags LEO's use to place evidence cell phones into to keep them from being remotely accessed/wiped. These bags will protect electronics from being hit with pretty much any kind of waves.

·
Family Always Comes First
698 Posts
If the deep cycles or car batterys are not hooked up to anything, they should be fine. I'm not sure if it's an old wife's tale (or in this case, an old mechanic's tale), but we always set them on a wooden board instead of directly on the ground or on concrete. The wood is supposed to help insulate the battery and help it keep it's charge longer.

Medic73

·
Registered
781 Posts
Also check out http://www.faradaybag.com/ they provide the bags LEO's use to place evidence cell phones into to keep them from being remotely accessed/wiped. These bags will protect electronics from being hit with pretty much any kind of waves.
Those bags have fold over flaps with Velcro strips. They are also tested (and I use that word loosely) to very specific, cell phone related, frequencies. I don't think these would be effective for EMP.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Solar storm / EMP will have no effect on batteries if not hooked up. Batteries work on a chemical reaction.
i hered they can short out. but thats the least of are worries. cause if we get hit head on by one. its going too set fire too alot of places like it did back in 1859 telegraph systems worldwide went haywire. Spark discharges shocked telegraph operators and set the telegraph paper on fire. Even when telegraphers disconnected the batteries powering the lines,this same thing will happen with landline telephone services.. and long distant power lines were charges can build and then discharge. into homes and buisnesses aurora-induced electric currents in the wires still allowed messages to be transmitted. here is the nasa link http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2008/06may_carringtonflare/ this info was blocked for a little while but its back....in 1989 it also caused wide spread damage frying power transformers...u can use a steel trash can as a faraday cage make sure its grounded and lined with eather rubber or cardbored too protect your items inside...hope this helps:thumb:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I heard about that, i think i'm more trying to cover my bases on living so close to city even though i live in the country, my plan is to head home at the fast rate possible...lol and by home i mean back to the real country not suburbia country...

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
In the event of a solar storm, batteries cannot short out if not connected. There nothing in a battery that can be affected, it's a chemical reaction that provides electricity.

From newtoothis:
Even when telegraphers disconnected the batteries powering the lines,this same thing will happen with landline telephone services.. and long distant power lines were charges can build and then discharge
That's the the key right there, long distance wiring.

Please check out this link it will help further understand. For a solar flare check out the E3 section.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_pulse#Characteristics_of_nuclear_EMP

·
Registered
469 Posts
In the event of a solar storm, batteries cannot short out if not connected. There nothing in a battery that can be affected, it's a chemical reaction that provides electricity.

That's the the key right there, long distance wiring.

Please check out this link it will help further understand. For a solar flare check out the E3 section.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_pulse#Characteristics_of_nuclear_EMP
hhmmmmm that linked only covered nukler emps. the sun 2 weeks ago let out a x12 pulse X-CLASS FLARES: Major event with the potential to trigger planet-wide radio blackouts and long-lasting radiation storms. ahhh yes here is a link that hints on batterys saying that they will not be affected...hhmmm http://www.disaster-survival-resources.com/solar-storm.html just too be safe i would still store backup batterys in a faraday cage. a ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!!!

·
Registered
639 Posts
AA's, Car Batteries and Deep Cycles should be fine, even if hooked up to something. Lithium-ION rechargeable batteries have a chip to regulate their temperature, I think this chip has a chance of shorting out with an EMP. It will still work without it(as it is a chemical battery), but it could easily overheat and destroy the battery if used excessively after it has burned out. Lithium single use batteries(like AA's) are not the same as the rechargeables and should have zero problems.

That is, unless the emp has so much power that it actually 'overloaded' the batteries... But in that case we would resemble burnt charcoal and could care less. The sun would also have to turn into a red-giant or something similar.

Batteries will be ok.

·
that's like, your opinion
17,825 Posts
If the deep cycles or car batterys are not hooked up to anything, they should be fine. I'm not sure if it's an old wife's tale (or in this case, an old mechanic's tale), but we always set them on a wooden board instead of directly on the ground or on concrete. The wood is supposed to help insulate the battery and help it keep it's charge longer.

Medic73
its not exactly a wives tail, i think that the wood provides a thermal insulative barrier between the battery and the ground... as we all know batteries rely on a chemical reaction (some wet and some dry) to stimulate the flow of electons between leads.

chemical reactions are slowed when they do not have the appropriate temperature (like chem lights in the fridge/freezer), and they are also sped-up (catayzed) by the addition of heat. that is why they should be stored in a relatively stable, cool area... i think you would put wood on under the batter to ensure that it will have enough reaction/juice to start the car when it is needed.

i know of some folks who store batteries in the fridge or freezer so that they last even longer, but you would need to heat them up to room temp before attempting to use them to ensure the proper voltage is being produced.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,565 Posts
I guess it would depend on how strong the EMP is, but there is a video of them using an EMP machine to kill a running car. It immediately died and wouldn't restart. But the robust electronics like the battery and window motors still worked. It's the more delicate electronics that get fried.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts