Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have one they like? My ass is too old and too tired for ladders and chain saws, not too mention there are around 40-50 limbs that need to come down. Need something with a 15' plus reach, mostly pine trees, Blue Spruce with drooping limbs, hanging at eyeball level on a riding mower...

Suggestions? What you like/using?

·
KOAD; FOAD; ESAD
8,472 Posts
I have one of the basic ones..works great but the chain is a little flimsy..mines old as dirt so there may be improvements out there..as a [useful]tool I give it an 8..

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a SunJoe electric (AC, not battery) pole saw. I’ve used it to trim branches off oak trees and a palm tree. It uses a ten inch chain. I’ve been very satisfied with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Watching this thread, as I would also like to have a pole saw.
I priced a gas husky at the hardware store, almost $700.00
Nope, don't need it that bad.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
I have a 24 volt Kobalt that I picked up from Lowe's. Bought it last winter to work on an oak tree that fell. No complaints. It is not saw to cut firewood but it does well on branches up to 6". I had the corded saws but the balance is always bad and dragging the cord is a bother. I'm 69 and my back is also 69, We can only cut wood for 30 minutes. Battery life is fine for that amount of time. I cut, take a break, charge the battery and have a beer. I liked the pole saw so much I bought a matching chain saw. Chain saw is good for limbing and pruning. Far lighter than my huskys.

·
Jackpine Savage
4,522 Posts
This probably won't help you but I'll offer it up anyway. I have a 12' pole saw that was invented by Manual Labor. I back my truck up to stuff that I can't reach and stand on the tailgate. That adds quite a few feet to how high I can reach, and if it's above that I should be calling a climber anyway as far as I'm concerned.

While I'm not an expert I do know that every pole saw in the local small engine repair/yard service supply shop has multiple extensions.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All the battery guys are making them now. DeWalt, Ryobi, Milwaukee, etc. Most of these limbs are 100 yards plus from electric and I cant get the PU anywhere near most. Everyone wants $200 for one of these units, almost took my right eye out on one of those low hangers the other day, something has to give.

Just wondering which one might be the better unit for that kind on money. Seems everything that was $149 is now $200, everything that was 299 is now 499, etc...

I'll have to ck out that Kobalt.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I bought a Ryobi 5 years ago for trimming the white pines in the driveway, It stretches out to 15' down to 5' As long as it has a sharp blade and bar lube in the tank it will cut anything I need it to. Battery life is not too good but what I do is cut all I can on 1 charge, then use recharge time to clean up everything. You got to remember to give every branch an undercut a few inches back from your over cut or it will pinch every time.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
All the battery guys are making them now. DeWalt, Ryobi, Milwaukee, etc. Most of these limbs are 100 yards plus from electric and I cant get the PU anywhere near most. Everyone wants $200 for one of these units, almost took my right eye out on one of those low hangers the other day, something has to give.

Just wondering which one might be the better unit for that kind on money. Seems everything that was $149 is now $200, everything that was 299 is now 499, etc...

I'll have to ck out that Kobalt.
The $250 Ryobi trimmer I bought lasted an entire 4 hours before the cheap-azzed gears stripped. I took it back. My buddy runs an $800 Stihl and it’s lasted for years.

·
KOAD; FOAD; ESAD
8,472 Posts
“ You got to remember to give every branch an undercut a few inches back from your over cut or it will pinch every time.”

YES👍

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Anyone have one they like? My ass is too old and too tired for ladders and chain saws, not too mention there are around 40-50 limbs that need to come down. Need something with a 15' plus reach, mostly pine trees, Blue Spruce with drooping limbs, hanging at eyeball level on a riding mower...

Suggestions? What you like/using?
I am extremely satisfied with my 80 volt Greenworks pole saw. Am also happy with their 80 volt 18 inch chainsaw for cutting firewood. Both cut like a charm and batteries recharge in about 20 minutes. With battery in charger and one in saw I can cut as long as I like.

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
Borrowed my neighbors little AC powered pole saw to trim a few low branches on a tree in the backyard, worked fine but one thing you may want to be aware of is the chain oil reservoir leaks on just about every one of these type of saws, he warned to keep an eye on the oil and it indeed leaked, quite a bit, I just made sure it was kept at the proper level. While the one I used wasn't cordless I cannot attest to how long the batteries would last on a cordless model during usage

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am extremely satisfied with my 80 volt Greenworks pole saw. Am also happy with their 80 volt 18 inch chainsaw for cutting firewood. Both cut like a charm and batteries recharge in about 20 minutes. With battery in charger and one in saw I can cut as long as I like.
Looks like pretty good gear, pricey... Good reviews. Leaning that way, especially with a review from an ACTUAL USER!

4 YEAR WARRANTY TO BOOT, should be a decent unit.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Greenworks look good, and not a bad price. But the extra battery I think you would want, especially if out in the woods/pasture, is pretty pricey just by itself.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ordered the Greenworks 80V at TSC. $289 + tax.

Looking forward to getting the limbs down, been procrastinating for a couple years.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
I just decided yesterday that I need one of these. I had a limb come partway down in a windstorm a couple weeks ago. I got what I could trimmed off from the ground with my chainsaw. Enough that I could mow the area. Looking at it I figured I would need to prop my extension ladder up there to finish it. Or get a pole saw. I decided I need the saw. Nearly 60 has a different way of looking at things than 30 did, lol.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'll let everyone know what I think. My ladder/chainsaw days are done. $300 is allot of scratch for a bunch of limbs but no where near the value of my eyesight. That last close call "shook the cage"...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts