Survivalist Forum banner
8K views 49 replies 41 participants last post by  ShadowXIX 
#1 ·
I'm stocking up for lighting needs and was wondering which should I stock more heavily? I have been stocking both but I need more. Thanks! :thumb:

#5 ·
I think it depends on a couple factors.

1. What do you need batteries for if SHTF? If you stock up on C Batteries, but have no items that require them, then at the most you've got a little something to trade. I'd do an inventory on what you have that needs batteries, then get a few sets of rechargeables for each so you can have a constant rotation(as well as a solar charger)

2. What are you planning to use the candles for? Just plain lighting? Cooking? Just to hold a flame? Bear in mind that the majority of your "jar candles" nowadays will burn for over 100 hours. So if your only intended use is lighting after sundown, then 1 jar candle could last over a month.

If money is tight, I'd say start off with a solar charger. Then batteries. In the mean time, scavenge old candles that can be melted down into new ones...It's a lot easier to find old candles that people will get rid of than old rechargeable batteries.

#11 ·
I know you have probably heard this but you can get candles cheap by the box full at thrift stores if you don't mind different shapes and sizes. I have a fair supply and have been thinking about sented ones for when the sewage systems stop working. No joke.
Last I looked plain candles were 5 cents a peice at a Salvation Army Sale.

#13 ·
As with others opinions, get more candles. Batteries have a shelf life, candles, assuming they are kept in a cool place, will last forever. They not only provide light, but heat as well and in a survival situation, that will be huge. Now make sure you have matches or other fire making implements.

#16 ·
All The Above

1. Flashlights
  2. Batteries - lithium store longer but co$t
  3. Bulbs for those LED-less lites
  4. Candle Lanterns - UCO & others
  5. Candles
  6. Lamps - traditional & Aladdin
  7. Lamp Oil or Kerosene
  8. Coleman Lamps - there's a small backpacking size
  9. Coleman Fuel
  10. Coleman Mantels
I have a little of everything. I used to backpack a lot and have all kinds of stuff. I recently picked up three good Duracell D battery LED work flashlights at a Flea Market for a dollar a piece.

I recently had an incident with candles & this HOT weather - they drooped all over. It was some in a glass jar I had stored on their side and the wax was oozing out of the jar. Made a bit of a mess. It was just one type of candle I had. The others including beeswax have a higher melting point and the nearly 100 degree heat didn't bother them.

In an extended SHTF situation things will run out. Most prepping for me is for short term like hurricanes, tornadoes, & earthquakes. Then the odd camping trip; my stuff is dual purpose. For long term such as months or years... we'll have to make stuff up as we go. Unless you're a government or filthy rich, long term prepping is just not going to happen. The best we can do is about a month or so.

Sorry, I'm sure I just put more ideas in your head for prepping.

Have FUN!

:upsidedown:

#37 ·
I recently had an incident with candles & this HOT weather - they drooped all over. It was some in a glass jar I had stored on their side and the wax was oozing out of the jar. Made a bit of a mess.
Just a quick tip. If you wrap the candles in tin foil and fold up the ends, then even if they get soft, they'll hold their shape when it cools. I wished I had know about this tip before a whole stash of mine melted.:(

#17 ·
Does it have to be an 'either / or' thing? Candles are good for light, heat, and continuous low level illumination. Batteries for flashlights, radios, and portable devices. A large supply of candles (and matches :D:), and plenty of rechargable batteries and a solar power recharger, can provide you with a range of options and long term utility.

#18 ·
1) Batteries discharge just sitting on the shelf so I would go with
rechargable batteries and a solar powered charger.
2) I keep candles also and you can take what melted candle wax and drop
it into a tin and create a new candle until it used up.
3) Have a couple of wind up flashlights as well as a wind up radio

4) I also have propane takes for a Latern and two burner stove. Good if your
staying put and you can leave it and use a fire if you need to bug out on
foot.

I don't spend a lot of money on batteries and candles, I prefer food and I can't eat a battery.

#19 ·
I keep a few rolls of candle wick, wax and some candle molds too. I used to make the smell good type candles as a hobby, now I'm glad I saved all the equipment.
My preferred emergency lighting is oil lamps though, have about 5 of them and 2 Gal of oil...After all the Power-outs around here I'v learned the hard way, The old folks around here still have wall mounted oil lamps that are cool and work great....Better light output, easy to make fuel if SHTF

#20 ·
Like many have already said you should stock up on multiple ways to make light. We have 6 oil lamps and many gallons of lamp oil. They are cheap and much better then candles. Batteries are a must and you need to rotate them out to keep the newest ones in your cache. Light sticks, candles, batteries and oil lamps are all good sources of light. Kingfish

#21 ·
Both, but...

If you stock rechargeable batteries like the Enerloop, you don't need as many, provided you have a way to recharge them.

So if it were me (well, it *is* me, actually : ), I'd lay in a decent but not extravagant supply of rechargeables, and get a lot of candles to supplement.

As others have said, it depends on what you think you'll need them for. Here's one consideration: Candles are useful for only about one thing--light--while batteries can have many uses. Unless you're going to use candles for heating (unlikely) or cooking (again, unlikely), all they will do is supply you with some light.

One solution I've read about that I like is to stock some solar landscape lights. Set 'em out during the day, let them recharge, then bring in at night for light. They are rechargeable, by definition, so they're also an answer.

Reactions: Kingfish
#22 ·
I pick up 5 boxes of emergency candles at the Dollar Tree every time I go in there. That's 6 candles per box, 51/2 hours burn time for each candle. You do the math. That's a dollar a box, divided by 6= 0.16 cents a candle. Batteries- picked up AAA 4 paks that don't expire until 2017, for a dollar a box. For that price, you can stock up on both.

#24 ·
Test the "emergency candles" out. I found that they were very soft wax and collapsed very easily. They weren't really safe to keep in a candlestick, as they would get very soft and melty and fall over. :( I ended up sending unopened boxes to Goodwill, and getting Mexican glass candles instead. They are a lot more stable.

If you use oil lamps, practice using one on a regular basis, and read up on running them. For Aladdin mantle lamps, the Aladdin Knights organization has a web site. I don't think people are adding posts to it anymore, but there's a lot of really good stuff in the archives about trouble shooting lamps, cleaning them, and operating them safely.

You can also buy an Aladdin electric "burner" that converts the lamp to electricity, if you want use your lamp year round and not leave kerosene in it. Just replace the electric burner with the kerosene burner, fill it with kerosene and you're ready to go.

If you have elderly people, children, or non-prepper family members, get some battery powered lamps for them. Headlamps are good too.

When using multiple low wattage light sources, spread them around the room. Have sturdy tables placed around the room, or mount sturdy brackets on the wall, screwed into the studs. Consider hanging something in the stairs to put candles or a battery lamp on, so people don't fall, or on the way to the bathroom. Also, solar powered lights from the garden might be brought inside and used at night as "night lights." Test whatever you do in advance. You never know how it will work in the real world.

#36 ·
Test the "emergency candles" out. I found that they were very soft wax and collapsed very easily. They weren't really safe to keep in a candlestick, as they would get very soft and melty and fall over. :( I ended up sending unopened boxes to Goodwill, and getting Mexican glass candles instead. They are a lot more stable.
I wonder if your Dollar Tree had a different brand. I tested these candles out, and they work really great. Burn time was as stated on box, and not one drip down the side, and it didn't pool into a waxy mess.

#26 ·
Kingfish, if you're using "lamp oil," rather than kerosene, make sure it's safe to use in the type of lamp you have. Aladdin doesn't recommend using lamp oil, such as Lamplight Farms, in their mantle lamps, as it is too hot for their burners and you can get flames shooting out of the top of the chimney (a "runaway lamp") if it gets too hot.

Flat wick oil lamps don't burn so hot, and that's what Lamplight Farms sells to go with their lamp oil.

#27 ·
I too have a little of each type of lighting source. I intend to use each in its appropriate situation/for its best purposes. It is most likely that I will start with battery charged use primarily (unless it is unsafe to do so or I need a bit of heat or ambience too) and, as time progresses, I will be primarily using candles and then perhaps making my own as well, once the batteries die or cannot be recharged any more.

Note ... if you store candles (or soap), put them in metal boxes if you can - mice LOVE these things, as they do chocolate. Lesson learned from bitter experience!

#29 ·
Anything that uses fire is getting moved lower and lower on my list. Personally, I'am more leaning towards solar powered lights. There is one product on the market you might want to take a look at, its called dlight.

Amazon.com: D.light Nova Mobile S201 Solar LED Lantern: Everything Else

Besides D.light, you can use common solar powered lights as candles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.