Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Survival Instructor
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What primitive and modern fish trapping methods have you used with success. I learned the other day that you can actually trap fish with modern conibear traps which is something I keep in my bug out bag. You just have to funnel them correctly. What odd tricks do you know for putting fish on the table? This is a video of how to employ a primitive basket fish trap which I made the awhile back.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Pretty similar to traps used for crabs/lobster/crawdads/etc. Nice one. It's all about making them want to come in and depending on their lack of ability to find the way out.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Really cool trap, on the subject of catching fish etc, I met a couple of guys the last time I was beach casting with a pretty neat set up: In a relatively calm estuary inlet they would set out a 100yd trotline (braid by the looks of it) at low tide with hooks dangling on sturdy mono every two feet or so. They used big fence posts as snoods to hold the line in place.

At low tide they would bait the hooks with fish offal, heads and strips and then wait for high tide. Once the tide began to recede they simply went down and unhooked their catch!

Their English was not great but apparently they got between twenty and thirty fish of mixed species, which seemed good going. I'd check they legality of this before doing it btw, but in a post shtf scenario it could be a dependable source of fish!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Really great info! I'm trying to make one with urban type junk i can find in an afternoon of scouting... I live in a very urban environment.. Not alot of rivers or lakes... But there are a couple of fishing ponds in the parks around here... I guess i would try to catch there if I were in a **** scenario...

·
The Polar Bear
111 Posts
I have used tide traps with huge success along the coasts of the St-Lawrence River's gulf. You simply dig a big pit at low tide, use the dirt to make a barrier around the pit, use some sticks and branches to create something like a fence around and keep an easy-in, hard-out entry point. With some bugs and other baits, fish will get in when tide is high and will be trapped when tide gets low.

You can catch catfish in small ponds and shallow rivers using a similar trick at night. Dig a trap/hole, use a small fire stick as a light source on the nearby shore then walk in the water with a branch in hand. When you feel activity near the pit, use the branch to scare the fish into the pit trap!

I have also heard from natives that you can use a simple branch from a young tree to make a rod, line and hook all-in-one. There's a trick to split the wood in a certain way to make that. Some apparently catch big pike using a frog as a bait on those contraptions. I have yet to try it with positive results...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts