Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Survivorman
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went out and tryed out my winter survival skills. Had a little trouble building a fire but I did make a good shelter.

Basic winter survival. Your prioritys in winter are different from summer. In winter your priority's are shelter or fire then comes water. In winter without shelter or fire you can die in under an hour. Shelter can keep you warm and safe from the elements but a fire can warm you up, get you water, dry off clothing, and cook food.

·
Registered
167 Posts
nice lil vid, but one question.

are you carrying the snow shovel with you everytime you go out?

i think that if your gonna try your winter survival techniques you should use what your gonna have, and if your not gonna carry that big, convenient snow shovel everytime. than you should have not used it.

next question... how was the bed? :D:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Good to see ya out playing in the snow. A little different than we do it but as long as ya had fun that's what really counts! ;)

·
Currently Learning...
80 Posts
good quality vid. great idea to practice some snow survival skills. now on to the negativity...

I agree with Ka-bar about the shovel, i was surprised to see it right off the bat.

I'm not certain I agree with your approach of the shelter under the tree either, I agree that it's a good start but not a good idea with all the snow on it (i'm guessing that's where the snow came from that put out the fire). should have shook it off first.

and was that firewood that you split pre-cut?

·
Survivorman
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with Ka-bar about the shovel, i was surprised to see it right off the bat.

I'm not certain I agree with your approach of the shelter under the tree either, I agree that it's a good start but not a good idea with all the snow on it (i'm guessing that's where the snow came from that put out the fire). should have shook it off first.

and was that firewood that you split pre-cut?
I was just messing around in my backyard. After this video I have a small plate shovel for an emergency. The fire was away from the shelter about 3 feet from any branches coming from it. The firewood was part of a dead branch on a tree that was split and I sawed it into a smaller piece.

·
Survivorman
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nice lil vid, but one question.

are you carrying the snow shovel with you everytime you go out?

i think that if your gonna try your winter survival techniques you should use what your gonna have, and if your not gonna carry that big, convenient snow shovel everytime. than you should have not used it.

next question... how was the bed? :D:
About the Shovel I was just in my backyard trying it out. I have a smaller shovel in my winter backpack. The bed was warm but when you lay down on it it sinks down real low. It wasnt the most comfortable bed ive slept on but it was better than my sleeping pad.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
what did you sleep in,what was the bed?(branches?) video was nice but you need to work on your sound a bit,maybe a small clip on mike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nice video. I can't stand it either when snow accidentally gets into the fire. Oh well one of the things one has to get used to when winter camping.

·
Banned
509 Posts
nice to see you practiceing,however, don't start a fire under snow it will melt and fall.also, your pine bauh bed was'nt deep enough to lay in the snow,the body heat that you started with will melt the snow,you will get wet and you will freeze.All of that snow could have built an igloo/ snow cave.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts