Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not know very much about vehicles at all, so i would like if someone could help me and tutor me on how to fix basic problems that i could encounter while traveling. if you could help me out that would be great. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
buy a Factory Service Manual or chiltons/haynes for the vehicle or vehicles interested on learning about.they have some very basic trouble shooting in even the cheapest of them plus pretty good info on repairs and maintenance.i dont know what your level of mechanical skills are and dont want to insult you.that said starting with changing your fluids yourself,brake pads and so on is a good thing to start with.it will get you aware of different things on the vehicle along with visual awareness on things like belts and hoses.changing a serpentine on some cars can be intimidating for someone who has not played around under the hood before.

like said earlier the internet is amazing for diagnosing problems on vehicles and watching videos of the process.i could type till my fingers bleed from rocker arms to rocker panels but basically start small and get more confident and competent with each thing you do.also said before,make sure you have tools to do the job or all your new found skills wont mean squat.if you dont know what tools to have,start working on the car with the batch of tools in your tool bag you keep in the car.you will find out real quick what you need,can get away with,and any specialty tool that will save your butt and just has to be there without destroying something.dont forget simple things like fluids,fuses(knowing which style your vehicle takes) along with the good jack and light.

it might be easier to get more specific,and watching videos and books will pale in comparison to greasy hands.good luck

as far as worrying about fixing your car while out on the road, maintenance is the key to having your vehicle survive.have a belt that looks so/so,replace it.put the old belt in the trunk along with your books and tools and thats one thing not to have to worry about.serpentine belt goes on the highway and you lost power everything along with engine cooling charging ect. and saves you a long hike.

·
Registered
730 Posts
i never was really a very good mechanic until i took a whole engine apart and put it back together. it really taught me a lot about how things work.i did this at about 19 yrs old.im 46 now and have never paid to have anything worked on.allthough ive threatend to.hands on experience is what yu need.start just by going over your vehicle and looking for leaks and stuff that looks odd. keep your motor clean at the car wash. even jack it up and wash underneath.a clean motor is a happy motor.youtube is a awesum place to get info as are any sites pertaining to your particular set up. another thing is i dont buy vehicles that are not in my skill set to work on.all my stuff is 98 or older. a lot of vehicles have recurrent probs that once yu get on the net and research them are pretty easy to diagnose. but there will always be frustration involved.my motto has always been"i can fix it 3 times for what it costs to get somebody else to do it"!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts