Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To start this thread off let me confess I have never really fished (but I'm trying to change that.) :)

I am working on putting a survival bucket together with fishing tackle, but wandering the aisles at Academy and Bass Pro Shops can be a bit overwhelming, so I am seeking advice.

What comprises a good basic set up for a fishing kit? I would like to know things like:

1. Hook types and sizes
2. Sinker types and weights
3. Suggested Lures and Spoons
4. Line types, test pounds and amounts
5. Basic rods and reels
6. Associated equipment (knives, skinners, scalers, etc.)
7. Other insight, such as trot lines, nets, etc.

I am basically putting the kit together for freshwater, i.e. Texas rivers, creeks, ponds, tanks and lakes - which means Bass, Crappie, Perch, Carp and Catfish. At this stage I am not looking at serious recreational fishing with boats and specialized tackle, more like, "hey there's a stock tank, lets drop a line"; to, "OK we've bugged out and parked under the highway bridge to catch dinner".

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

·
Apocaloptimist
2,748 Posts
I would buy a panfish hook kit. Usually comes with 10 or so different sizes of hooks. I would get some crimp style weights, again in a kit with various sizes. I would also invest in a couple spools of 30lb Power Pro braid as this can be put on reels or used to make limb lines or jug lines. Buy a couple cans of catfish bait.

·
CHEERS :p
1,946 Posts
Here's what I would pack....

A spool of 6lbs test ( (perch, crappie and bass)
a spool of 12 lbs test (carp and catfish)
Various size floats/ bobbers ( I preffer balsa wood floats)
3 different size hooks small medium and large
a small assortment of flies ( they work on normal line with a float)
a good fillet knife
for a rod I would suggest a medium action 6 to 7 foot rod ( maybe telescopic if putting in a bucket)
for a reel I would use a good spinning reel
as far as bait goes I would go with different varieties of berkly power bait, nothing to big maybe 1 1/2 to 4 inches in length and get both light and dark colours
maybe a couple of Rapala lures too
a set of nedle nose pliers
for weights I would go with crimp style as they are the easiest to add and remove from line

·
Registered
456 Posts
Not a fisherman, hard to find anyone to take this city boy out to show him the ropes.

However, trout lines, gil nets, funnel style traps, are all better for survival than catching them on a line one by one. In a survival situation we don't have all the quick fixes we are used to so more of our time will be used to just get by, anything that can multiply our efforts is good.

·
SquiddusMaximus (Retired)
3,059 Posts
Include a couple of yo-yo's. These are great for trot-lines and drop fishing, will attach to anything and are very small yet sturdy. I have a couple in each BOB just in case in a small ziplock bag with some various sized hooks/sinkers/swivles.

maybe a few of these too:

·
E&E enthusiast
432 Posts
One little tip, the fishing kits that come in survival kits while better than nothing arnt very good, the hooks are as blunt as coat hangers :eek: ad the line folded so small its kinked into coils.Id consider decent chemically sharpened hooks and buy and keep line on a spool.
Worms and grubs will catch more fish than flies and lures :thumb:

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
i wouldnt go extreme just some basic stuff that will hold up through time.remember K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid).you dont need to be trying to catch a 100lb catfish all you need is 2-3 16oz crappie or a 1-1/2 lb bass/catfish,there is no need in trying to catch huge fish you only want what you will eat that day

here what i got
1 very small cheap tackle kit box (string will not fit in box just big enough to put weights and hooks in it)
6 #4 hooks(cant remember hooks size i think its these ill look at them later and correct it if im wrong)
6 #2 hooks
4#1/8 weights
4#1/2 weights
4#3/4 weights
2 spools of trout line string 1- 115lb,1-150lb(one white, one green can also be used for snars and leanto)
1 spool BREADED spiderwire #15
2 small bobbers
(a rod and reel isnt a must ,ppl use to cain pole fish all the time)

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
I actually got interested ( mildly ) in fishing this way. I'd go with the other guys for kit because the area is different. But a net may be useful and go fishing a few times to get the idea about what baits to use and how and actual practical experience.
I personally ( the hard way) have found that its stupid to go with some equipment an ideal and a lot of hope. Test your kit in the field and know how and why it works that you can rely on it.
still just my shillings worth.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
6 #4 hooks
6 #2 hooks
4#1/8 weights
4#1/2 weights
4#3/4 weights
2 spools of trout line string 1- 115lb,1-150lb
1 spool BREADED spiderwire #15
2 small bobbers
This covers probably my biggest question, what size hooks to use for common fish, with the attendant weights, lines and floats.

This and the other suggestions are helpful, thanks.

·
Grouchy Infidel
1,559 Posts
Include a couple of yo-yo's. These are great for trot-lines and drop fishing, will attach to anything and are very small yet sturdy. I have a couple in each BOB just in case in a small ziplock bag with some various sized hooks/sinkers/swivles.

Anchor, what model is that and who carries it?
I have not seen that version before.
Thanks for posting it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
1. Some #10 hooks baitholder hooks for panfish...you can catch panfish and use them for cutbait for bigger fish.......

Some # 1 or # 1/0 circle hooks for bigger fish...they will hook themselves with circle hooks and you can use them for trotlines, limblines, etc...

2. BB sized split shot and some assorted size egg sinker....use the split shot for the small fish and then the egg sinkers stopped with a split shot for the big fish.

3. Lures will not catch fish very quickly most of the time...maybe some small plastic baits for panfish like Yozuri Snap Bean plugs or Rebel crayfish plugs...

4. I would suggest getting an extra spool for your spinning reel. Maybe 4 pound line on one spool and some 12 pound on the other spool.

5. A nicer 4-5 piece pack rod in a case....throw away the crappy reel that usually comes in these and get a nicer $30 spinning reel in the same size that will fit in the box with a nice drag and an extra spool. You can put your lures and hooks in the case too.

6. A Leatherman multitool will work just fine....get one that has a needle nose pliers for getting hooks out of fish. You should also have a simple sharpening tool or stone.

7. If you really need a trotline just get on the internet and buy one ready made instead of screwing around trying to make one.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
17,565 Posts
I am going to suggest that you start by buying a high quality multi piece medium light wt spinning rod and a high quality spinning reel with at least two spools. I have a Fenwick 5pc rod and an Okuma reel. Further, I suggest installing a 4lb mono and a heavier line on the other spool. Then get out a practice every week for the entire summer before settling on tackle.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Rather than have to carry the sinkers, I put some knee high hose in my bag that way I can makke a small bag out of a piece and just use a rock of whatever wieght I think I might need to get my hook out, if it gets hung up the bag will tear openl. I fugure the less wieght I have to carry the better off I am and more room for more hooks.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.