Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Silent Bob
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I found this thread on an another site and thought I would share it.

In the wake of a new earthquake in China leaving behind 400,000 homeless, i wanted to approach our survival universe with a kit that has been in use by refugees and homeless alike throughout the world..........................

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7635

·
Spook
426 Posts
how can soap be the difference between life and death? Sorry but im not an expert in these things, you explained the others well but not about the soap especially like how to get soap from nature.

·
Getting there....
1,231 Posts
Because..

how can soap be the difference between life and death? Sorry but im not an expert in these things, you explained the others well but not about the soap especially like how to get soap from nature.
...soap can be the difference between life and death in cleaning a wound or maintaining hygiene against infection and parasites.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Something else to consider-the Staff. It has a lot of uses.
To steady you while hiking with heavy loads.
To test the ground before you step onto it.
To poke under that bush for snakes and other nastys.
A tent pole for your tarp.
To fend off whatever wild animal suprises you.
Attach a knife and you now have a spear to hunt with.
Wrap it with rope or paracord so its always with you.
Use it as a ****** pole to carry bulky loads.
I'm sure there are other uses, but you get the general idea.:)

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
The staff can also be substituted by a professional stick ball stick solid oak - 4 1/2 feet long 1 1/2 inches around

·
Registered
99 Posts
Keeping clean will help prevent spread of germs, an unscented soap will keep odor away thus making you less likely to be scented by a person getting close, among many other things.
Soap can be made by boiling wood ash to create a type of lye. render animal fat to add to it certian plants will help reduce harshness one of them is yucca. It can it's self be used as a soap. you can down load foxfire books free and they have recipies in them for making soap. Or you can simply google soap making for directions.

·
V
21,713 Posts
Was the machete also used in Europe? I thought the axe was it's substitute...
I think the idea is using whats handy and appropiate machete, seaxe, axe whatever :thumb:

Glad this thread was bumped it didnt get half as much attention as it deserves, I guess the kit junkies felt a bit silly.

·
Survivus most anythingus
3,874 Posts
1- The pot.

The pot is without any question, the one item our specie uses to cook, transport and boil water. The pot has a long history, and has been a necessity for aeons. Being able to cook or boil water for more than one individual is primordial. Accessorize it with a wooden spoon, and you have our number one tool.
I think the knife, in most circumstances, is the absolute Number One Tool and at times, the Number One Weapon if it gets bad enough.

I do like where you are going, however. :)

2- The wool blanket

There is not one refugee or one homeless that does not have a blanket of sorts. The blanket is what separates us from the element. It simply regulates our body temperature. Blankets go way back, and our ancestors regarded them as a necessity that became sacred...the blanket is our cocoon, it allows us to rest, to isolate ourselves physically and psychologically from survival itself. It gives us comfort and security.
I think a surplus USGI wool army blanket is something to behold, indeed.

3- The tarp.

Although a more "modern" tool, the tarp has made it to the top of the list. A tarp is one of the most iconic symbol of refugee camps and homeless around the world.
No, Buddy, the tarp is not modern. The materials might be, but the tarp goes back to cavemen using animal skins and lean-tos when they couldn't find a cave to inhabit or whilst traveling.

You are correct that it is a must-have item, however.

4- Water.

This realm is as we all know beyond a necessity. The jerican is as iconic as the tarp. A means to store and carry water is life. A jerican coupled with the pot, and you have survival. Ken mentioned the collapsable ones, which is a good option, but i am partial to a solid jerican for further transport possibilities and durability.
If you have a way to actually transport it or you have collapsible versions for water transport, absolutely. This, strangely enough, also goes back to animal skins as the tarps above.

5- The machete.

We can talk long and hard about the knife, but when it comes to survival at its core, the machete has proven to be an amazing asset.

The machete is in use all over the world, it provides an extra "edge" over the knife, because it extends the possibilities around camp. A machete can chop wood, and stir a fire, it provides further reach and is a tremendous defensive weapon.

From Africa to the far East, from the jungles of south America to Asia, the machete has risen as the survival tool of choice.
A lot of people who are experts at jungle survival would absolutely agree with you, Jeff Randall and Mike Perrin of ESEE Knives (Formerly RAT Knives) would be two people to agree with you. The peoples of Mexico, Central and South America, Africa and Southeast Asia all would as well.

If I had to have only one edged tool, it would probably be a machete but not the big barracuda types but a smaller 12-14 inch bladed machete.

6- Fire.

What can we say, about a realm so abstract and yet so grounded as fire ?
Pot + water/food + fire = survival.

Fire is one of those necessities that Man had to master. Fire itself, has influenced our evolution. That alone should remind us the importance of this realm.
It can keep you warm.

It can cook your food and make it safe to eat.

It can boil your water and make it safe to drink.

It might keep animals away at night, I'm not convinced of it, but it cannot hurt, either.

It can be used to signal for help.

It can keep insects away that make you miserable or sick with disease.

I find nothing to really disagree with when it comes to fishing, which I think is one of the most underrated survival skills and I think some people who actually hate fish and refuse to learn how to fish might get really hungry and possibly starve.

First Aid Skills and other, peripheral skills are a must and the soap angle is very, very important.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
your stuck with 50 people in the same area... all useing the same bathrooms and 1 is sick.. soap will keep you from getting sick..

·
Registered
256 Posts
I agree that the Pot should be near the top. It greatly expands your food and water options. There is nothing that cannot be cooked in it and a great number of things that are best cooked with one. It's very difficult if not impossible to craft one. It also lets you cook with much less fuel.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Just make a list of things you do every day.. everytime you do something write it down... brush your teeth... use the bathroom.. use the stove or microwave.. eat out... ect.. then work on a way to have a subsatute low tech version... ie wood stove can be gas but gas will run out.. stuff like that..

even if an earthquake hit destroyed your home.. do you think you can get grab the gear and go.. if its underneath it all or you cant tell which home is what... fire wipes it all out.. It all depends..

Basic stuff I would want to have

Knife
Pot
clothing
Tarp
sleeping bag
Axe
Firestarting kit
Rope (I know how to make natrual cordage but its a pain)
soap
Frist aid kit

Other then that I could do with out it.. pot can boil water but not haveing anything to carry water can be a pain... Think about it if your home has everything you need.. and the person next door has all the same stuff and ect.. food water is going to be your main concerns over stuff.. Might be medical if someone hurt or needs pills..

You dont need to buy any gear you can simply use what you have in your home... blankets pot and pans.. everyone has them.. shelter could be a tarp or even garbage bags..

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Excellant article Moirlend. +1 to MEGGAHAMER abuot the staff and to haha49 about the difficulty of making cordage. Perhaps a walking stick with a bow in the center for my neck, well wrapped in para cord, should be my next project. Appreciate a back to basics post now and then.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts