Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
it may go on in places, but why would somebody put something like that in print on a forum?
Is it legal to buy or sell this way in your state? ( or his?) sometimes I wonder if there isn't a bit of Fed trolling (as in fishing for illegal activities) on some forums.
If I was the Fed, I would...i'm sure they must do.... just sayin'

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
it may go on in places, but why would somebody put something like that in print on a forum?
Is it legal to buy or sell this way in your state? ( or his?) sometimes I wonder if there isn't a bit of Fed trolling (as in fishing for illegal activities) on some forums.
If I was the Fed, I would...i'm sure they must do.... just sayin'
Barter is completely legal. There is nothing illegal against it. The only thing illegal would be if they did not report it as income on their taxes and/or capital gains..

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc420.html
http://definitions.uslegal.com/b/barter/
http://www.u-exchange.com/bartering-legalities

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
I bought a pistol privately last year and offered to pay the guy with a 1/2 ounce gold Eagle instead of the cash price he wanted. The spot price for the coin was nearly equal to the cash amount he wanted (within $20 or so), and the premium would have evened the value out. He said he wanted the cash instead. These days I think people might give more consideration to the gold. I know I would if I were selling any of my guns.

·
Banned
6,367 Posts
I bought a pistol privately last year and offered to pay the guy with a 1/2 ounce gold Eagle instead of the cash price he wanted. The spot price for the coin was nearly equal to the cash amount he wanted (within $20 or so), and the premium would have evened the value out. He said he wanted the cash instead. These days I think people might give more consideration to the gold. I know I would if I were selling any of my guns.
It goes back to counterfeit coins,people won't accept them thinking they are fake.

·
Free Your Mind
982 Posts
No not another one of those threads.

Just saw on a local gun forum where someone is looking to trade his silver for a pistol or longrifle. Has anyone else seen anything like this of late? Just curios.
No I haven't, but have not been actively looking. For now, I don't know why anyone would trade silver for anything? FRNs are too easy to come by to accomplish the same trade.

Was the silver .999 or old coin silver? If old US silver coins he may have had them many years and thus thought he could get a good deal (in his eyes) for guns.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
It goes back to counterfeit coins,people won't accept them thinking they are fake.
Its true i wouldn't take any "craigslist" persons coins in trade. I wonder how much longer before people stop buying from ebay. Not long after this the market for collectible silver will be worthless.

I think im going to sell off half my coins. Move it into another pm or investment.

·
Ooh, pancakes!
3,046 Posts
No not another one of those threads.

Just saw on a local gun forum where someone is looking to trade his silver for a pistol or longrifle. Has anyone else seen anything like this of late? Just curios.
Whenever I try to sell something on a forum, I give the price in dollars and in ounces of silver and/or gold. I usually give a slightly better price (in terms of current $$/PM rates) for metals.

·
Registered
9,885 Posts
Its true i wouldn't take any "craigslist" persons coins in trade. I wonder how much longer before people stop buying from ebay. Not long after this the market for collectible silver will be worthless.

I think im going to sell off half my coins. Move it into another pm or investment.
I am a strong believer in pre '65 'junk silver' for the best useable, recognized and fractional sizing for barter and exchange. I know some here have suggested anything less than .999 fine was not any good but I think junk coins will rule the roost for convenience and small value exchanges.

Of course this waits to be seen but I am comfortable with my belief.

·
Banned
6,367 Posts

With people on the forum saying Fort Knox was full of tungsten,with a gold plate,I'm not trading anything for PM's.A gun is a given and can be inspected,even people trading .999 pure that is actually counterfeit 90%,recast coins can make a fortune.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=1549&highlight=silver

Good Thread from Kev's viewpoint,made me think!

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
With people on the forum saying Fort Knox was full of tungsten,with a gold plate,I'm not trading anything for PM's.A gun is a given and can be inspected,even people trading .999 pure that is actually counterfeit 90%,recast coins can make a fortune.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=1549&highlight=silver

Good Thread from Kev's viewpoint,made me think!
A micrometer, a digital scale, and the correct dimensions for the coin in question would be all you'd need to eliminate all but the best fakes. Everyone who's seriously into using PMs as barter material needs to have SOME way to spot fakes.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Since I am buying silver as a prep, I am mostly interested in "junk" silver (dimes,quarters,halves,dollars) as they are recognizable and less easily faked and are traded more easily. Nobody wants to trade a Silver Eagle or dollar when two silver dimes would make the deal...

·
Banned
6,367 Posts
A micrometer, a digital scale, and the correct dimensions for the coin in question would be all you'd need to eliminate all but the best fakes. Everyone who's seriously into using PMs as barter material needs to have SOME way to spot fakes.
And at a gun show,it's not worth the trouble.Another factor,IMHO,is market volatility.If you can explain how to spot fakes on this thread,it would help a lot of people.

·
Free Your Mind
982 Posts
I am a strong believer in pre '65 'junk silver' for the best useable, recognized and fractional sizing for barter and exchange. I know some here have suggested anything less than .999 fine was not any good but I think junk coins will rule the roost for convenience and small value exchanges.

Of course this waits to be seen but I am comfortable with my belief.
I fully agree and along with my .999 rounds, I have many pounds of beautiful .900 US silver coins, as well as, .35 silver war nickles. Not only for barter, but for the silver content also. Silver is silver whether .999, .925, or .900. :thumb:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts