Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the best items to stock up on for bartering in the future ??

seeds, weapons, ammunition, knives, livestock, seeds ???

·
Registered
33,184 Posts
-Food of all types
-purified drinking water
-Toilet paper
-bullets
-alcohol
-lighters

Services:

-The abilty to charge someones batteries radio/I-pod's etc

·
Registered
365 Posts
I stock up on disposable lighters, easy to carry and a principal item, I also stock up on Calcium Hypochlrite for water purifying in 1# bags with instructions sealed in a nother vapor sealed bag. Anti biotics, MRE, vitamins all minimal space easy to pack and take with.

·
Giblet Head
771 Posts
I think having a couple extra pairs of boots would be good too, every shtf movies there always looking for boots
LOL So true. They're always swapping theirs out for those on every dead guy they find.

Disposable cigarette lighters
.22 LR--the 50 rd. boxes would be best for bartering with
cheap .22 bolt-action rifles (the ~ $100 kind)
shoes
chocolate--I buy a bunch whenever Food Lion has Hershey's bars for 2/$1, lasts forever and still tastes good
Playboys
cigarettes--the cheapest would work for bartering; people won't care, as long as it's tobacco

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,764 Posts
Some other ideas:

Canning lids
Peppercorns and grinders
Salt
Feminine hygiene products
Candles
Booze (in small half-pint and pint bottles)
Monolithic water filters
Batteries
TP

·
Prepared Firebird
3,842 Posts
There seem to be a lot of people on these boards, who think hoarding booze and cigarets are a great get-rich-quick plan when SHTF.

Personally, I think stockpiling those items would be likely to get you killed. As soon as you start trading or selling these items, word will leak out that you have them in quantity. And then you have to be looking over your shoulder, constantly, watching out for thieves and raiders. Who really wants to live this way, every day?? I sure don't.

Plus, there are obvious problems involved in storage and transportation of alcohol. It's a weighty bulky item packaged in glass bottles. Cigarets and other tobacco products are very vulnerable to water damage, mold, mildew, etc.

This is why I tend to favor smaller items for barter purposes. Preferably, things that people are not now thinking will be in short supply. And things that do not have a connection to any type of addiction. People, who have run out of their favorite addictive items or activities will be prone to do crazy things to get that back. Again......not something I want to deal with.

The more variety you have for barter......the better off you will probably be. So.....seems like small items are the way to go. A short list (but by no means complete list, as I am still working on this) of things I think might be what people would want......nails & other hardware, duct tape, safety pins & sewing needles, good quality bar soap & washcloths & towels, matches & Bic lighters, work gloves, Winter gloves, mittens, scarves & hats. (No one is going to put a bullet in your back to get that bar of soap and washcloth.......but it sure is a comfort duo that no one thinks much about, now, because the stores still have a lot of it.)

A little heavier....but might be worth stocking........can openers and basic stainless steel flatware (knives, forks, spoons).

I'm sure everyone can think of more to add to this list of possibilities. Just walk around your home and think about what you really don't notice, right now.....because it has always been "there".....but might not be so readily available in a changed situation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts