Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
MortarMaggot
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just talking with a friend about some of the old Black Talon ammo I have. when they were banning it, i started buying a bunch of it up, even in calibers I didn't & still don't own. I also have a some ammo I had loaded for my uncle that I don't shoot, but he got killed, and now it's just sitting there. So anyway, he was saying to hold on to it as it would be great for bartering post SHTF. When I thought about that though, I thought, do I really want to be trading away ammo to strangers or people I only know a little about? I guess I'll spell it out, what if the people you are trading ammo to are either out of or extremely low on ammo and they are only playing nice to get the ammo to use on you or your group? I could maybe see trading some .22lr but that would be the max, I would want to trade away. IMO trading ammo/weapons away is an absolute last resort if at all. Thoughts?

·
Forum Administrator
16,782 Posts
Bartering after SHTF / TEOTWAWKI

If you want something to barter with after SHTF / TEOTWAWKI, I recommend fishing supplies. Its cheap and will last just about forever.

One thing about using fishing supplies as barter items, you do not have to worry about someone shooting you with a hook, or cork. Buy a couple of spools of 15 pound test, and barter for 100 yards at a time. I think 500 - 700 yards come on a spool of 12 and 15 pound line. Barter for 100 feet at a time if you want.

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,668 Posts
I was just talking with a friend about some of the old Black Talon ammo I have. when they were banning it, i started buying a bunch of it up, even in calibers I didn't & still don't own. I also have a some ammo I had loaded for my uncle that I don't shoot, but he got killed, and now it's just sitting there. So anyway, he was saying to hold on to it as it would be great for bartering post SHTF. When I thought about that though, I thought, do I really want to be trading away ammo to strangers or people I only know a little about? I guess I'll spell it out, what if the people you are trading ammo to are either out of or extremely low on ammo and they are only playing nice to get the ammo to use on you or your group? I could maybe see trading some .22lr but that would be the max, I would want to trade away. IMO trading ammo/weapons away is an absolute last resort if at all. Thoughts?
Black Talon was never banned. They just pulled it from the market because of all the hype in the media about it being some "spinning buzz saw of death" which it was not.

It's in high demand right now, because there's so little of it on the market. The name isn't going to make it any more valuable post SHTF. So while it's worth about twice what other ammo is, I think I'd trade it or sell it and get more ammo. That way you'll end up with twice as much to barter with, plus maybe some extra for yourself.

·
MortarMaggot
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Black Talon was never banned. They just pulled it from the market because of all the hype in the media about it being some "spinning buzz saw of death" which it was not.

It's in high demand right now, because there's so little of it on the market. The name isn't going to make it any more valuable post SHTF. So while it's worth about twice what other ammo is, I think I'd trade it or sell it and get more ammo. That way you'll end up with twice as much to barter with, plus maybe some extra for yourself.
Yeah, it never officially got banned but Winchester pulled it because "it was really deadly" unlike all the other non lethal bullets. LOL. Anytime something gets banned or pulled due to pressure, I try to buy some just to **** off people banning it. The day the assault weapons ban passed in 94 iirc, me and a buddy of mine each went and bought one and several hi cap mags.

·
Village idiot
150 Posts
Sell it off now and buy the things you need. there is a thriving trade for it on several auction sites. You may get a good price at a local gunshow or swap it for a caliber you need. I have some in calibers I use but am still looking into getting rid of it. It wasn't that impressive when we used it at my department. Everyone shot with it survived. When we swapped to Gold Dots we started getting one shot stops. Permanently. I am thinking about selling it off to buy a Berkey or something I need more than "cute" ammo.

·
MortarMaggot
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This thread wasn't supposed to be about Black Talon ammo, it was about if people thought it was wise to barter away ammo post SHTF, I was just trying to explain why I had a bunch of ammo in calibers I don't own, like the handloads I have, they are not black talon obviously but they are of no use to me as I loaded them for my uncle who got killed before I gave them to him, I really doubt I could get much money selling it as it's not the super secret double probation ammo black talon is, but at the same time, I don't think I would want to trade it away post SHTF even if I still didn't have a gun that could shoot it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'd sell off the caliber that you don't have a firearm for. Buy more for the guns you have. I wouldn't barter ammo in a shtf situation, could get ya killed with your own ammo!

·
MortarMaggot
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd sell off the caliber that you don't have a firearm for. Buy more for the guns you have. I wouldn't barter ammo in a shtf situation, could get ya killed with your own ammo!
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, I was just curious if other people would plan on using ammo as barter material, or if they thought it would be fine to do. That buddy told a few of his friends, and he bought up my box of 9MM, he said he's got a buddy who will buy the 10MM. Now I've got 1 box of .44mag and 6 boxes of .40 S&W left. I shoot .40 S&W so I will keep a few boxes but as I saw them selling for $60-$65 + shipping on a website, I just put the box of .44mag and 3 boxes of .40 S&W on a local selling site for $50 bucks a box. I sold the 9mm for $40 (before I saw what they were going for) and said I would sell the 10mm for the same.

·
Banned
865 Posts
Winchester SXT's, Same eXact Thing!! Can get those all over the place.. Sell the "black talons" now for double the price to some fool who wants them just to be cool, and double up on the SXT's

·
Misfit Toy
2,185 Posts
I would not barter any ammo post shtf. None! There will always be guns; ammo will disappear very quickly.

If you have no use for it now, or no weapon of that caliber, sell it. You should get a premium right now with all the panic buying that going on.

Use the money to buy the ammo you do need.

·
MortarMaggot
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wouldn't barter ammo either. Black Talon or not. Here is what they try and sell it for now at Alamo Ammo in San Antonio.....20 rounds of .9mm for example for 70 bucks...and no box. :eek: I remember seeing stories about surgeons getting cut removing the rounds from BG's.
http://alamoammo.com/cart/pistol-ammunition/9mm/9mm-winchester-black-talon-bag-of-20-ct
Post a link to the Dr.'s that got cut removing Black Talons. I've never seen a confirmed report of that, and virtually all expanding bullets with jackets are going to have sharp edges. Don't fall into the mainstream media BS folks.

·
Left the building
9,363 Posts
Post a link to the Dr.'s that got cut removing Black Talons. I've never seen a confirmed report of that, and virtually all expanding bullets with jackets are going to have sharp edges. Don't fall into the mainstream media BS folks.
Good heavens! You know how loooong ago that was? It was on one of the nightly ABC or CBS 5:30 pm news broadcasts talking to an ER doc holding one in his hand. I remember that some docs would put their finger into a wound to feel before going after a bullit with forceps. One got cut or possibly the fear of getting cut....I could have mis-spoke, on a Talon....so from then on I guess all docs were afraid? And any bullit could be a Talon? Seems the story said something about the dangers with a shot HIV patient, and aids, etc. It's been discussed on gun forums in the past. Ya. I know how the MSN hypes. And it was hype.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts