Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been getting some uncomfortable feelings about some of the barter posts.

When I buy or sell anything today, I try to be fair and avoid taking advantage of people. I love a good deal as much as the next guy, but I don't steal.

I hope to continue this practice even if the bottom drops out someday.

It sounds like some folks are getting ready to start up their own version of BarterTown.

This kind of thinking seems to rub me the wrong way. Kind of like the gougers that sell generators at a 300% mark up during an ice storm.

I'll buy some of your band aids with some of my bullets post SHTF, but I pray that I won't try to get rich from anyone's misfortune.

I suppose it may be tempting to rationalize this with thoughts such as: they could have easily stocked up like I did, poor stupid sheeple.

So does SHTF make you King of the Hill or a good neighbor?

·
Registered
4,804 Posts

When I buy or sell anything today, I try to be fair and avoid taking advantage of people. I love a good deal as much as the next guy, but I don't steal.

It sounds like some folks are getting ready to start up their own version of BarterTown.

This kind of thinking seems to rub me the wrong way. Kind of like the gougers that sell generators at a 300% mark up during an ice storm.

I'll buy some of your band aids with some of my bullets post SHTF, but I pray that I won't try to get rich from anyone's misfortune.

I suppose it may be tempting to rationalize this with thoughts such as: they could have easily stocked up like I did, poor stupid sheeple.

Thank you. I think post SHTF is the most important time for being a good neighbor when you can, even more than now. I would not want to live in a world that some here seem to want to create. We will survive together through mutual help, and that same spirit is what kind of new world we will create. We can start over with something beautiful or something ugly, repeating our same greed all over again or choosing honor and fairness in all our dealings. Hopefully, the Kings of the Hills will not be welcome in our new world.

·
Registered
772 Posts
What's money anyway?

We've all seen the gold and silver commercials like never before. My problem is, I'm so very paycheck to paycheck now and so are my critters that I can't part with enough $ to justify buying silver let alone the morsel of gold I could afford.

I've been a packrat for anything with a good use for projects I may do at some point and during the past couple years have stepped it up a bit due to a feeling in the back of my head that I could always do some swappin should the need arise. I also am very generous and have given away things with no expecation of something in return. And, whether it has anything to do with it (good energy, whatever) it seems like good people are constantly giving me things for my little farm of critters and garden and such.

But I am also going to be planting a bit extra this year, a lot more herbs of medicinal use as well as wild tobacco. And I'm thinking more barter with the latter. To think in terms of having items other people may want or need and are willing to swap something of their own to obtain it dates PRE-MONEY and is a good and honorable thing. I enjoy the hell out of bartering and have never done enough of it or with big enough things really to matter much other than to the two parties involved but as things get worse I expect that I will be doing a lot more of it and have no guilty compunction to feel like I should be giving all my stuff away just because somebody needs it and had their heads up their a$$es hoping Obama would change everything into magical twinkyland and failed to engage their brain in a wise manner to safeguard their own survival and well being by thinking of these things in advance of the storm like I am doing.

I get a good feeling giving stuff away but, what the heck, translate goods to money, it's not like anybody feels bad selling something for cash. Why not trade your tires for that water pump?

·
Getting ready!
171 Posts
You make some good points, it does seam to be human nature to try and take advantage of a sitituation..... but its good to hear from people who understand fairness.

In reality the value of a product or service is only what someone else will pay or exchange for it. The housing market still can't seam to understand that little fact.

It's a nice reminder to be fair in all of our dealings in life now and in the future....

·
Gone for Good
2,899 Posts
Today or when times are hard and you don't want to maximize your assets that is your choice. It is you and your family that will pay the price. Working for less than you are worth or the going rate,selling your assets for less than current value is great. I just hope I get to buy your items!

I get a laugh when I read of someone who thinks they will trade their loaf of bread,can of 10yr old tuna or couple rounds of 22's for some unrealistic price. They are sad dreamers at best with illusions of being instantly powerful in the new world. They are in for a rude dose of reality!

In a barter era in most cases BOTH parties feel that the agreed upon deal is fair. That is why barter worked in the frontier days and how it will work in a future where it is needed again.

Red

·
Getting ready!
171 Posts
I get a laugh when I read of someone who thinks they will trade their loaf of bread,can of 10yr old tuna or couple rounds of 22's for some unrealistic price. They are sad dreamers at best with illusions of being instantly powerful in the new world. They are in for a rude dose of reality!

Red
Just remember there are alot of unfortunate and some.... well ignorant people in this world who will be taken advantage of.

Every day 100's of people get an email from Africa saying they won a huge prize and they actually send money to collect it.....

·
Registered
103 Posts
I look on the barter items I might have as extras that if I don't use I can trade for something I need. I don't stock anything I can't personally see a use for(except baby items-cuz you never know when a little one might arrive). I may have what seems like an excessive amount of some items to some, matches, toiletries, Jameson Whiskey, but these items don't expire and will eventually be used by someone so when I see a good buy, I indulge myself. If, in some future scenario this translates into a good trade,all the better.

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
I'm stocking a bunch of barter items, specifically to make a profit during a crisis. Though I don't intend to price gouge like trading a gallon of drinking water for a new truck or something. If that sounds greedy, read on.

While they were spending money on new cars, fancy houses, vacations and all sorts of fun toys, I was living frugally and spending it on preps, on my future. While they were out hanging out with their friends, I was at home studying and learning new skills. While they were out on date night, or going to events, I was home rubbing sore muscles from working too hard in the garden.

They haven't stood in line trying to share any of that with me, but as soon as the chips are down, they'll sure be standing in line expecting me to share what I have with them. So, they get to have their cake and eat it too, as it were. When you look at it like that, we get a pretty raw deal out of it!

I intend to trade for precious metals and things of value, at whatever fair market prices are as the time. If metals aren't worth much, then I make out like a bandit. But I'm willing to bet they hold their value. Either way, I intend to barter fairly and honestly.

Anyway, during the rebuilding, I'm hoping this will provide me the funds to build a business of some sort, or whatever is needed to help me get a new start in life. It's their turn to sacrifice and struggle. I did it while they danced and played. It's going to be my time to dance and play. Fair is fair.

·
Survivalist Electrician
614 Posts
It's basic economics. Supply and demand.

The demand is higher than the supply, therefore it is worth more. You aren't ripping them off.

Like other posters have said, you won't be able to trade a can of beans for 500 dollars worth of gold, but if generators are selling at a 300% price increase THEN THAT IS THE MARKET VALUE. Selling it for anything less and you're ripping yourself off.

I don't stock items solely for bartering them because I feel my time and money are better spent stocking things I will personally use. But if I have a bunch extra of something and someone else needs or wants it, then I will be willing to sell it, but only at an increased price.

Because of my business, I have a barn full of electrical components, including everything from copper wire, fiberoptic cables, solar panels and photovoltaic components, generators, inverters, etc. I expect in a true shtf scenario that people will be wanting them. There's no way in hell I'll be selling them for what the market price is on them before shtf. I won't try to really rip them off, but I'll be selling them for what they're worth based on supply vs demand.

That's my .02.

·
Capability, not scenarios
12,548 Posts
I'm a little surprised. Markets work because they allow demand and supply to determine prices, which sends signals to producers and consumers about how much to produce, and to either consume or find alternatives for.

If I'm smart or prescient enough to find barter items which are in great demand post-SHTF, should I simply give them away for next to nothing, or hold out for their worth as determined by what people are willing to pay?

Suppose I stock a large amount of feminine hygiene products? I should just give them away for next to nothing?

I thought the whole idea of prepping was to advantage us during a SHTF scenario, not to spend money before SHTF so that those who didn't prepare should be able to buy--or barter--cheaply?

I'm surprised, that's all.

Reactions: MikeK and tecumseh

·
Survivalist Electrician
614 Posts
I'm a little surprised. Markets work because they allow demand and supply to determine prices, which sends signals to producers and consumers about how much to produce, and to either consume or find alternatives for.

If I'm smart or prescient enough to find barter items which are in great demand post-SHTF, should I simply give them away for next to nothing, or hold out for their worth as determined by what people are willing to pay?

Suppose I stock a large amount of feminine hygiene products? I should just give them away for next to nothing?

I thought the whole idea of prepping was to advantage us during a SHTF scenario, not to spend money before SHTF so that those who didn't prepare should be able to buy--or barter--cheaply?

I'm surprised, that's all.
Exactly my point. If you aren't selling at market value, then YOU are the one getting ripped off.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts

Are you kidding? If things got really bad and we had hyperinflation, making money worthless, about the only way you could obtain anything would be by bartering. Barter means exchanging something you have for something you need. Usually the two people exchange thing that for them is of equal value. If there was a food shortage and someone came to me with a gold coin, which to me would be of no value and wanted a tank full of gasoline which would be very valuable to me I would say sorry no go. If they offered me a hen and rooster I would probably say yes because that would be of value. Many countries have had to face hyperinflation and that's how they conduct business.

·
Keeping it Simple
1,074 Posts
Supply and Demand baby. There isnt anyone out there cutting me any breaks now so why should I cut anyone a break later.

If toilet paper is the new gold, then they will pay Spot Price for toilet paper. Prepare or face the consequences later.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I don't intend to rip anybody off, but if I can bake homemade bread now for 50 cents a loaf and sell it for $3.50 a loaf -- that's not ripping people off. I did the work, so I should make a profit.

After the bottom falls out, if I can bake bread from my prepped flour and sell a loaf for $8.00 or more, that's still not ripping people off. It's selling for the going rate.

·
Patient Zero of WWZ
5,333 Posts
After SHTF we will see an actual free market for the first time in many years. (centuries ? )

The price of something will be decided by the two people making the bargain plain and simple. They will bargain and reach an agreement that they both accept. If one party wants more for the item than the other wants to give, then he will say no and go try to find someone else to barter with.

I for one think of barter and the things I may be able to barter after in terms of making my life more comfortable, or maybe even possible. Not as a way of getting rich.

OTH I do hope to determine what will be barter-able and needed after so I can get the most for my money, so to speak. I have some thoughts but no real solid plan for that yet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.