Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few items to stock up on that might help for trades would be the little soaps and shampoos from hotels and places of the such. You can always pick up tooth paste and brushes and other products at hotels at no extra cost. Also, little baby liquor bottles of jack, rum and other things that are cheap and you can pick up every other beer run. If you drink..if you don't drink, I'd still have a few to use. You know people would love those things.

I've even gone inside the hotel and asked for some and I wasn't even staying there and they gave it to me. Of course if they ask what room you're in than you might want to run and get in your car and drive as far far away as possible because they'll send hotel security on you...........joke.

·
Banned
182 Posts
Sorry, but lol at this thread. As if people are going to care about stuff like shampoo when shtf. :rolleyes:

The true high-value, bartering items will be ones with actual practical use. Fishing hooks, batteries, seeds, axes/hammers, water purifiers, guns, ammunition, weaponry, flashlights, matches, etc, and of course, food and water. You get the picture.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
Soap is going to be very important in a shtf situation.

keeping clean will help keep you healthy.

I have a few items that I will be keeping for barter. Mostly some of the foods from the garden that I will be drying for the winter.

I have lots of clothing left over from my grandson who moved out a couple of years ago.
I have my husbands cloths that I can barter if needbe. I have several pairs of older shoes that I am keeping just in case.

God bless and keep on prepping.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
agreed ramona

@sigd: you're right at those things, but it wouldn't hurt to stock up on the things i listed if those items happen to become un-available, and are at our disposal now. Most woman that you happen to trade with wouldn't mind having some tooth paste or shampoo, not everyone you run into to trade with isn't a gun-ho survivalist looking for guns and tools. Most ppl that who are willing to trade are more than likely set up with the things you listed. It is good to have extra of those things for trade, and you make it sound like i said to only stock up on those things..if you're smart, you'll prepare for all types of trading, don't be naive.

Thank you jeffreyamanning, i haven't seen that thread..the idea popped in my head and had to write it quickly hah!

·
Political Watchdog
268 Posts
Sorry, but lol at this thread. As if people are going to care about stuff like shampoo when shtf. :rolleyes:

The true high-value, bartering items will be ones with actual practical use. Fishing hooks, batteries, seeds, axes/hammers, water purifiers, guns, ammunition, weaponry, flashlights, matches, etc, and of course, food and water. You get the picture.
Agreed, BUT you are all overlooking another item that will dry up quickly with no possibility of replacement. TOILET PAPER!!!!!! That will be the hardest of all items to manufacture post SHTF situation and it seems that this item gets the least amount of consideration. Just a thought :D:

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,128 Posts
Since I don't intend to barter when people are running around starving and desperate. Things like soaps make some sense too. If I do any bartering at all, it'll be after things have begun to calm down a bit.

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,850 Posts
I've even gone inside the hotel and asked for some and I wasn't even staying there and they gave it to me. Of course if they ask what room you're in than you might want to run and get in your car and drive as far far away as possible because they'll send hotel security on you...........joke.
I was with you until you indicated that you take things from hotels under what appears to be false pretenses.

I don't know if I'd go so far as to call it theft, but even if it's not technically theft, it lives in the same neighborhood.

Now, if you'd gone to the front desk, told them you weren't a guest, asked for extras and they gave it to you, then it wouldn't be ethically challenging.

·
Breathe Easy
214 Posts
Have you people ever been around women? They will give you anything you want if they haven't had a proper shower in 2 days. Sooooo....soap is a great barter item for the ladies. My wife says so, and she's always right!!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sorry goose that you haven't experience the thrill of stealing tooth paste, you're missing out. sorry we can't be friends because i might have stole something!! bummer :(

I was actually thinking of that movie Book of Eli and when the biker guys brought that dude shampoo and he gave it to his gf..yeah..i got excited. not when he washed her hair, but when i got the thought of shampoo.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Remember several good paperback books. While you cannot eat them, keeping your mind exercised is never a bad idea. I think books would be very valuable for bartering and trading! And once the batteries are worn out, those Kindles, Nooks, and iPads will be useless!

·
Registered
389 Posts
I grab all those I can from hotels along with the coffee that comes with the room and tea.

They are perfect for in the bob bags, ghb, gym bags, etc. They are lightweight and I do not have guilt if I toss it if it is half full since I have boxes of them at home. I also keep hotel shampoo, conditioner, soap, *cough* free towel and washcloth *cough* at work because if I have to pull an all nighter it is nice to be able to run downstairs and take a shower.

To me hygenine is huge because not only does it protect you but it also is a mental boost (anyone who has camped/backpacked all weekend without showering will tell that first shower is like sex without the fear of burning while peeing or becoming a daddy).

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
haha ten4 @ fwshooter. great analogy! i haven't taken any towels, i'm always afraid they'll find one missing and charge me!

·
Forum Administrator
16,845 Posts
As I have said in the various threads about bartering, I like fishing supplies. Fishing gear stores well and last almost forever.

Get a couple of spools of trotline string, and barter 100 feet at a time. Since each spool has at least 300 feet, this gives you plenty of room to play.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts