Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once I secure enough for my family + extra for the lazy types that I'm sure will come along, I plan on store items for barter in case of a long term breakdown.

Items I've though of:
- Toilet Paper
- Tampons
- Pregnancy Kits
- .22LR
- 12g shotshells
- Baby Wipes
- Diapers

What are your barter plans?

·
Actias Luna
4,228 Posts
I guess I don't have any. If we were in a SHTF situation I plan on looking/acting like everyone else. If we had enough to barter it might put us in a sitting duck position. Extra is good but only enough for close family members.

If neighbors were thin and wearing ragged holey clothes, so would we, even if we had a closet full of Levi's. If they were dirty, so would we be. Nothing says "rob me" like shiny hair and clean skin amongst the destitute.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Everyone wants something motorized, and gas to power it. people are brainwashed towards motorized transportation. if you had a lot of gas and a bunch of horizontal shaft engines you would have a ton of bartering power, people would trade guns and food and anything else for that stuff.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I don't have any. If we were in a SHTF situation I plan on looking/acting like everyone else. If we had enough to barter it might put us in a sitting duck position. Extra is good but only enough for close family members.

If neighbors were thin and wearing ragged holey clothes, so would we, even if we had a closet full of Levi's. If they were dirty, so would we be. Nothing says "rob me" like shiny hair and clean skin amongst the destitute.
I'm planning on using the items for barter, not for personal uses. Diapers and toilet paper would be worth their weight in gold if people had gone without for a couple of months. A few here and there traded to acquire additional food for my family would be the goal.

Or having enough to bring to the table in a post-SHTF group scenario would cement the idea that "this guy saw far enough in advance to plan accordingly, we should take his ideas serious."

·
Banned
2,161 Posts
matches

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,639 Posts
Thanks Mike - I figured as much.
Another great source is up at the top of the forum page, in the stickies. It's a thread called "list of important threads". There are links to all sorts of barter discussions. That thread is a great resource for all sorts of information besides just barter. I've spent hours browsing it and am still running into useful info.

·
Registered
139 Posts

good point. when I used to go to Mexico and S. America a lot, I always dressed like a bum and if I had to wear a backpack, i made sure it was a crappy one with stuff tied on it with old string.

the way to barter or sell stuff to people you don't trust is to have a person with a gun backing you up, they babysit the people who want to buy, while you go and dig up your stuff. that is how all sketchy deals go down, you don't just meet somewhere with everything.

·
Forum Administrator
16,782 Posts
Fishing supplies - this can be anything from noodle, line, sinkers, to trotline material.

·
Banned
1,228 Posts
Every time S did hit the fan fully loaded magazine of government issue ammo became the gold coin of trade.
I do not see how it is going to be different here. One 30 rds mag loaded with 223 maybe the king of any trade.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Every time S did hit the fan fully loaded magazine of government issue ammo became the gold coin of trade.
I do not see how it is going to be different here. One 30 rds mag loaded with 223 maybe the king of any trade.
Or 5.56 M883 penetrators.

·
Thank you very much
4,322 Posts
Lighters, Toothpaste, something that would really be cheap to produce right now would be a double sided print out of native edible foods in your area. A list with maybe some pics, and poisonous look a likes to be aware of.

Also another good thing to know would be how to build a wood burner to run gas engines. If you knew how to build these easily you would probably be considered royalty.

·
TEXAS!!!
7,261 Posts
Once I secure enough for my family + extra for the lazy types that I'm sure will come along, I plan on store items for barter in case of a long term breakdown.

Items I've though of:
- Toilet Paper
- Tampons
- Pregnancy Kits
- .22LR
- 12g shotshells
- Baby Wipes
- Diapers

What are your barter plans?
Well, lets see.....
There are three females in my household, I'll be keeping the toilet paper, tampons, pads and baby wipes. My daughters will keep their legs closed or be out on the street, so I won't need the pregnancy tests.
.22lr and 12g?!? Do you REALLY want to barter away something that you will eventually run out of? or have shot back at you?
I have no need/room to store diapers.

However, I can make wine and good moonshine. I'll barter that.

·
TEXAS!!!
7,261 Posts
Lighters, Toothpaste, something that would really be cheap to produce right now would be a double sided print out of native edible foods in your area. A list with maybe some pics, and poisonous look a likes to be aware of.

Also another good thing to know would be how to build a wood burner to run gas engines. If you knew how to build these easily you would probably be considered royalty.
Good list, especially the double sided flyers.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts

See....Engineer775 on youtube he has built a wood burner that creates a gas that he runs his gen with,he also has a vidio running a trk on it but its mor for running a gen you need to remove the carb.....

Hard for me to explain,just watch it.....:thumb:

·
Registered
375 Posts
I think planning on having items to barter is great! I, personally though, will not barter ammo or firearms with anyone outside my direct group. There is too great a chance that the gun and or ammo will end up in hands that will return to take my other preps. If you are onsight with me and want to swap some. .308 for .223, let's talk. Anyone else, I take a pass. The only possible exception I can see for this would be bartering for medicine that I or one of my group desperately need to live.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts