Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally did it, I went to the gun shop up the street and reluctantly handed over my gun-original 28" Remington 870 Wingmaster with Magnum barrel to get chopped.

Not sure if I made the right choice. The shotgun is in mint condition with slight wear on the outside of the barrel but in about 95 to 98% condition depending on who you ask. It was made in 1985 and does NOT have removable remchokes in it.

I was worried about having it cut due to it being gun original and the fact that I will need to get a 28" or so for hunting, but I figure I needed to upgrade to something with removable chokes.

Currently it is performing home defense duty, hence cutting it to 18 to 20".

Not sure if I made the right choice, would like to know what others think. Is it really important to keep the original barrel on a shotgun? If yes, why? Would you have done the same or had chokes put in and gotten another barrel and had it chopped?

Oh the agony! (PS: Got the weapon a few weeks back from a co-worker who sold it to me for $200.)

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
...Is it really important to keep the original barrel on a shotgun? If yes, why? Would you have done the same or had chokes put in and gotten another barrel and had it chopped?

Oh the agony! (PS: Got the weapon a few weeks back from a co-worker who sold it to me for $200.)
In some jurisdictions modifying the gun in any way (like chopping the barrel even if you're still over the 18" BATFE limit) is illegal (Massachusetts specifically).

Otherwise you did the right thing... It's easy enough to get a 26"-30" vent rib barrel with interchangeable chokes for your 870. 870's are everywhere so you unless you had some super-duper whizbang special model you didn't affect its resale value much. What I did with mine is add a Mepro tritium bead up front. In the dark that tritium bead is almost bright enough to read the newspaper... Makes it easy to find the shotgun in the dark and easier to put that bead on the BG should things go bump in the night...

I'd also add the side-saddle shell carrier.

Allan

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Massachusetts is bass ackwards. It drives me insane.

At any rate I went to a licensed dealer and armorsmith and they took it with no issues. I will have to look into it more now. Don't want to be breaking any laws, for sure.

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
If that's what you want, do it. I had a 7-1/2" Ruger Super Redhawk. Now it is 5-1/2". Long enough to legally hunt and fit in my pocket. Saweet! At the time I did that, there were few options. Smith and Wesson just sold out to a foreign country and the Clinton administration.

I was so happy when they went belly up and some real Americans bought it back.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I finally did it, I went to the gun shop up the street and reluctantly handed over my gun-original 28" Remington 870 Wingmaster with Magnum barrel to get chopped.

Not sure if I made the right choice. The shotgun is in mint condition with slight wear on the outside of the barrel but in about 95 to 98% condition depending on who you ask. It was made in 1985 and does NOT have removable remchokes in it.

I was worried about having it cut due to it being gun original and the fact that I will need to get a 28" or so for hunting, but I figure I needed to upgrade to something with removable chokes.

Currently it is performing home defense duty, hence cutting it to 18 to 20".

Not sure if I made the right choice, would like to know what others think. Is it really important to keep the original barrel on a shotgun? If yes, why? Would you have done the same or had chokes put in and gotten another barrel and had it chopped?

good choice, it had no collector value, and a new barrel with interchangable chokes is a wise investment, as would be a rifled barrel.

·
Getting Ready
1,025 Posts
i think you made the right choice.

is it the vent ribbed barrel, if it is i would have bought a new short barrel, but thats b/c i think a chopped vent ribbed barrel looks foolish.

but hey do what you need to do.

T

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
you forgot magazine extention

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
Personally, I would have done what my father did for his shotty back in the day:

Buy a second barrel. Shotgun barrels are easy to remove. Get a second, shorter barrel and take the old one off. Replace with shorter. Keep the longer for hunting and such.

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
No' if you want to shorten a barrel shorten the original that won't take choke tubes. Buy a modern barrel that will. I wouldn't bother to buy another barrel unless you re planning to hunt. I have cut a 12ga and a 20, and both will keep all their shot inside a man size target at 30Y with NO CHOKE

1 - 20 of 20 Posts