Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I break in my non-chrome lined rifle barrel? Heres one article from the North American Hunting Club on how and why its done. I liked this article because it explains what is to be accomplished by breaking the barrel in.
http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/hunting/news/story?page=h_fea_rifle_break-in_NAHC_040810
Here is a small portion from the article
Removing the fouling after every couple of shots when the gun is new allows the next few bullets to burnish and polish the imperfections a little more before they start to fill in again.

If the process is repeated often enough, the bore becomes "broken in" because it's smoother and the inevitable tool marks and other imperfections of the manufacturing process have been removed or reduced.

I have read all sorts of responces as to properly break in a new non-chrome lined rifle barrel. Some say that using JB Bore cleaner is a bad thing others like this site say go for it
http://www.bushmaster.com/faqs/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=19

I'll continue to look into the topic and ultimately select somebody's version of the "proper" method. Feel free to weigh in on the topic as I find so much conflicting information it wouldn't hurt to have some more from members on this site.

·
Rifleman
1,600 Posts
On new barrels I usually shoot one round and clean for the first 10 rounds. Then I shoot 10, 3 shot groups and clean between each 3 shots and I am done with the break in. Then I shoot 5 shot groups because you can tell more about a guns capability from 5 shot groups.

·
Certifiable
723 Posts
I usually clean after every round for the first twenty and then after every five for the first fifty. I then clean after every time out shooting. I do not treat a chrome lined any different than any other barrel. I personally do not spend time in any jungles anymore so I do not feel the need for chrome lined barrels any more. :eek:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts