Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
ruralist
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new crossbow came in the week so here's a look see; the Barnett Revolution has a 150lb draw weight, fires at 345fps and has an impact of 122ft/lbs with a target 125gr bolt. It is marketed to hunters and claims an effective kill range on anything upto a deer/antelope at 60 yards. Owners I've contacted online say it'll fire a broadheaded bolt upto 400gr, but it's just not necessary.

I never purchased the cocking device, something which appeared disasterous when I first tried to pull back the cable. I was getting 3 or 4" back at most before it was impossible (drawing my own blood type impossible). But under the advise of the manual I continued to do it (using my legs & back in the process, rather than bending down and just using my arms) every few hours until eventually it slacked and came over. Since then it's still incredibly hard to **** but not so impossible! Below are pics to demonstrate the weapon disassembled and the assembly method. The hooks are placed on after the limbs are loosely but evenly connected to the body. Then the foot strirrup is pulled over, to the position seen in other pics, whereupon a lock clicks (silver thing revealed in the third of the second pics.)

Below are pics to demonstrate the different mechanisms;
First pic is the safety - pulled outward to apply.
Second shows the trigger and locking mechanism.
Third pic demonstrates the customisable size stock (extended by turning the wheel). Also visible is a large screw on the cheek - there are two each side and by applying pressure in one direction whilst screwing from one side it will prod out on the other i.e. customisable cheek plate.

Below demonstates all the dimensions. I attached the front iron sight (top right) to show it, but am only using the back in practice. I did not purchase the Barnett scope, but instead plan on saving for a NV one.

Some other stats from the manual + component breakdown;
Power Stroke 15.5”"
String Length 39.625”
Physical Weight 7.7 lbs.
Length 37.5”"
Width 27”"

1 AXLE ( SYNTHETIC SYSTEM ) 15 LIMB BEZEL WASHER
2 BODY 16 LIMB BOLT
3 CABLES ( SYNTHETIC ) 17 LIMB MOUNTING BLOCK
4 CABLE ANCHOR PULLEY 18 LIMB MOUNTING BLOCK PINS
5 CHEEK PLATES ( SET ) 19 PEEP SIGHT
6 RIGHT CAM ( SYNTH ) 20PROD HOUSING
7 LEFT CAM ( SYNTH ) 21 PROD HOUSING ASS’Y
8 E CLIP 22 PROD LOCKING PIN
9 FIBER WASHERS 23 SCOPE MOUNT
10 FOOT STRIRRUP 24 SIGHT PINS
11 FRONT SIGHT WITH SCREWS 25 STRING ( SYNTH )
12 LIMB LEFT UPPER/RIGHT LOWER 26 STOCK EXTENDER
13 LIMB RIGHT UPPER/LEFT LOWER 27 STOP BLOCK
14 LIMB BEZEL 28 TRIGGER MECH

Although it is usually sold with a quiver I opted out of this I didn't want the extra clutter, instead planning to fashion a side pouch on my backpack. Regardless of the cost I thought it imperative to purchase a replacement cable and lube wax (just looks like lipsil really). I also ordered additional bolts. I had it at the club this morning. For all its power I would only complain that it is slightly louder than I expected (when the cams unravel). The considerable weight is acceptable given the rifle-like design which lets one stroll easily with it aiming downwards whilst pulled back into the shoulder - although the diameter of the limbs means anything on the left of you might get bashed. I had to fire from 50 yards minimum, as having taken the first shot at 20 it went right through the boss and wedged deep into the backstop, leaving me one bolt down already. Alone the crossbow set me back £310 (~$600?). They retail seemingly cheaper within the US however ($410 from this website for example).

·
ruralist
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's a pic I took after some trigger mech brush greasing today. Even down to this level the crossbow is still fully functional if the body is connected to the bow, so it demonstrates how much excess clutter a compound may carry.

Also a random update that I am trying to get a smaller rifle trigger customised for install. I'm at 76 shots fired now (still no significant wear, guess it's past half way though), so will have the upgrade done at the same time it is recabled at a local gun store.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts