1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
ready to rock
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey community,
here is my deal, i'm broke.
but i want to be ready for any thing that may be thrown at me

i've got an old enfeild, an lcr, and a couple sturdy knives.

i have plenty hunting and fishing experience and knowledge.
if i absolutely had to, i'm fairly confident that i could survive here on the banks of the ohio.

i dont have the necessity of large stockpiles of food and supplies.
what would you guys think would the absolute most basic items that i should have ready to go if the need arose to leave, or to hunker down.

all constructive input is welcome, and much appreciated.

·
Inglorious Deplorable
21,136 Posts
Sell the enfold and buy food. Hunker down.

You need some kind of home base and stay there as long as you can. If there is a general evacuation (like a Hurricane) Pack-up all your water and food and find a place to go to.

Running around on Day ! with nothing but an old enfeild is a really bad idea. If you do, make sure you fly a Pirate Flag.

·
Registered
841 Posts
On a tight budget or not, 50 pounds of rice is a good start on food storage. Make one meal a day where rice provides the bulk of the calories and pretty soon you'll have saved enough money for your next prep.

When I was in school, many dinners consisted of "put some rice and water in the rice cooker, then add something and turn it on". I enjoy eating out now and cook as a hobby, but if I were living alone again and cooking for just myself, I'd probably still be eating the same way. I still eat that way not infrequently.

·
Inglorious Deplorable
21,136 Posts
Vote yes on the bag of rice.

Yes of the Rice Cooker for current daily use.

Undecided on Rice Cooker for post SHTF. The magic hole in the wall may no longer work.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I don't know what an enfeild and lcr are, I just tried to google them but it didn't make sense in the context that you are using the terms.

Anyway, would you be roughing it in the wilds? perhaps a tent and sleeping bag would be good, with a plastic cover? Fire starter? water filter. And a first aid kit with some antibiotics included. think of the things that could happen if you lived in the woods, (rashes, blisters, cuts, burns). Layers of clothes to keep warm. Some bouillon cubes and spices to give a bit of variety and flavor to what you catch.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
@Daisy - The LCR is compact revolver from Ruger.

http://www.ruger.com/products/lcr/index.html?r=y

@jess - You have your LCR (hopefully with some ammo). Get a pocketknife, some paracord, a fishing kit, some waterproof matches, look in the garage for a sleeping bag......

Take a better look at what you have and build the best kit you can TODAY. With a nod to the advice you got above, start having a pan of rice with a ramen noodle soup in place of some of the water 2-3 times a week and begin investing the savings in building your kit better every week.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
The SB guys have it right. Think college or your first apartment. Rice and Ramen pride. Add some soup cans and pasta when on sale.

·
Infraction Collector
2,409 Posts
hey community,

if i absolutely had to, i'm fairly confident that i could survive here on the banks of the ohio.

what would you guys think would the absolute most basic items that i should have ready to go if the need arose to leave, or to hunker down.

Dont worry so much about what you don't have.Just because some folks have a ton of food stashed away,...doesn't mean they are guaranteed to survive. Every week when you or the Mrs goes grocery shopping,..hell,..pick up an extra bag of rice,..or a couple cans of tuna,...or a few bic lighters,....and put them on a shelf. Watch how fast it'll accummulate.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Number one from what you've mentioned is don't be broke. Are you broke because you have debt, or because you have no job or limited employment? Fix that first. Get out of debt. Get a second job or both. Whatever it takes to get above water is your first task. You will probably have to reject many of society's current drains on income. That means no cable, buying the cheapest possible phone and phone plan you can buy, never eating fast food, stop drinking alcohol and smoking, cancel magazines, make your own meals from scratch, Stop trying to compete with your friends on your possessions. That means stop buying "stuff" - furniture, cars, clothes, etc. Move to a cheaper place, drive a cheaper car, buy clothes at Goodwill, etc.

After that, if you want to build food preps on a budget then you need to think old school. That means canning your own food. Start by buying an All American canner and learn canning. You'll either need to start a garden (best) or buy cheap veggies from a local farmer's stand (not the best but maybe your only choice). You say that you think you can survive off of carp from the Ohio? Good luck. That kind of Hollywood thinking will starve you out. Here's an experiment to try. Do not eat anything on January 15 through 20 next year (2012). On January 21, walk down to the Ohio and catch some food. When you finally get home, frozen, hungry and fishless, ask yourself if the Ohio River can support you year round. It will not - and especially if you are competing with others for subsistence fishing.

Beyond that a simple way to increase your food preps is to simply buy one extra of the items you regularly eat. If you eat canned peas, then next time you go to the store and buy 4 cans, buy 5 instead and tuck one away under your bed. Do that for a few months and you'll be amazed at how it piles up. Rotate your preps and only stockpile items you would normally buy - don't stockpile exotic items that you may never eat or may not like.

Another area you can start on right away is to build strong interpersonal relationships. You say you want to be ready to deal with anything that life can throw at you, then you need to have lots of very strong personal relationships with other people - start with friends and family and build from there. If you don't have a church, then find one you like and go often. Volunteer. Give more than you take and you'll find that goodness will come your way.

Another area you can start on right away is knowledge and education - both free for the taking. You can learn quite a bit on the internet but don't discount the local library or visiting a pioneer farm or 1800's farm in your area. These "living history" farms are all over the place and you can learn quite a bit about living a simpler life - one you might expect to have to return to if things get bad. Bottom line is that you need to become a lifetime learner and soak up as much knowledge and as many skills as you can.

There are entire books written on the subject of prepping so it's hard to condense it all down to a forum thread. Perhaps if you revealed more about your age, income range, education, etc. you might get more targeted answers towards your specific and current situation.

A final thought - there is a large group of folks that say all you need is a gun and some ammo and you're all set. I can't think of worse advice than that. That kind of thinking will only just get you killed or worse, turning you into a refugee and eventually a ward of the state. Yes you need to be able to defend yourself, but your priorities, based on your original post, should be cash flow, food storage, relationships, and education - THEN defense (since you already have one rifle you can back off the defense preps for a while).

·
Mod Certified PITA!
12,092 Posts
hey community,

I don't quite get what you mean by not having the necessity of large stockpiles of food and supplies. If you have to eat, drink, or maintain body temperature, then obviously you need food, water, and heat. The idea of living off the land may be romantic, but is it reasonable? Depending on the disaster or situation, you may be unable to leave your home (snowstorm, pandemic, civil unrest). The land may not be too livable (Hazmat spill, flood, New Madrid earthquake mixing everything up). You may not be the only one out there, as thousands - tens of thousands - of people hunt and fish desperately to try to get something to eat. And of course there's always the risk you yourself will be sick or incapacitated and unable to engage in extensive physical activity...

You've got self defense and hunting more than covered. I'd suggest stockpiling water using whatever containers you can, even if you have to 'rescue' used water and pop bottles from the local recycling center (hot water and soap, then soak in a mild bleach solution). Buy rice and beans, even if just a little at a time. Hunt and fish and preserve the meat, as well as harvest and store any wild edible plants you can find. Gather firewood. Make up a BOB. Stay flexible, and alert.

·
I am a woman. :o)
2,852 Posts
Jessxkore, here are two hints for prepping on a buget:
* always pick up a penny-saver type paper, especially when they are about to change over; when you are done reading the paper, save it for fire starting, insulation in boots, etc.
* call your local thrift stores and ask about sales; I recently bought some shirts for $1 each, longsleeved, warm and really nice; now they are washed and folded and ready if needed. :eek:) Many people score amazing deals at thrift and resale stores, and sometimes they have 'bag sales' where whatever you can fit in the bag sells for one low price. You can also sometimes buy wonderful blankets, cast iron ware, back packs, fatigues, etc. for bargain prices.
Hope this helps!

·
Dog bites - Owner shoots
485 Posts
Just some ideas from a limited budget prepper ...

KFC ='s free packets of honey, salt and pepper packets, handi wipes, jelly packets, butter packets
other places - ketchup, mustard mayo packets, napkins

When we go to Arbys drive through .... I tell them to throw in a butt load of arby sauce - once got a nearly full small bag of em!

Look on craigs list under free stuff

coupons coupons coupons - got 3 free cans of soup because manufacters coupons saved more than the sale price

Garden - even if your in an Apt ... use your deck and some small planters and can it

Just continue to keep your eyes out for things like above ... Prepping isnt always about stuff ... but being smart, saving everything you can in every way you can whether it be food, time or $$ :thumb:

Oh and there various posts like this on the site ... dont have time to look em up right now, but theyre there ... search em out. TONS of great ideas

·
Grumpy Old Man
546 Posts
Lay-in a weeks' worth of canned stuff and water immediately then buy a few things each week untill you have 30 days worth of essentials. Prepping for the most common SHTFs doesn't have to break the bank. :thumb:

·
I am a woman. :o)
2,852 Posts
Just some ideas from a limited budget prepper ...

KFC ='s free packets of honey, salt and pepper packets, handi wipes, jelly packets, butter packets
other places - ketchup, mustard mayo packets, napkins

When we go to Arbys drive through .... I tell them to throw in a butt load of arby sauce - once got a nearly full small bag of em!

Look on craigs list under free stuff

coupons coupons coupons - got 3 free cans of soup because manufacters coupons saved more than the sale price

Garden - even if your in an Apt ... use your deck and some small planters and can it

Just continue to keep your eyes out for things like above ... Prepping isnt always about stuff ... but being smart, saving everything you can in every way you can whether it be food, time or $$ :thumb:

Oh and there various posts like this on the site ... dont have time to look em up right now, but theyre there ... search em out. TONS of great ideas
Great hints!
One tomato plant in a pot can really produce a lot!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Buy bulk water bottles. Typically less than $4 for 24 pack of 16 oz bottles. Drinking water out of puddles/streams will get you dead.

Hand sanitizer. If your by yourself and you get sick, hunting is not an option you'll have to relay on stocked food.

Buy canned food. Most are less than $1 a can ar the grocery store.

I also submit that most SHTF type of problems are small area problems that will affect you for less then 2 weeks. Since you live in Ohio I would say the most likely is a bad snowstorm that knocks out the power.

You don't want to take your pistol/rifle out on day 1 to hunt for food. Somebody will figure you for a looter and that will ruin your day.

·
Registered
15 Posts
hogsnapper has it fairly well covered, but I'll add my 2cents worth.

I sort of just covered this in another post so I'll just give a link to my post on the subject of food.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showpost.php?p=3410563&postcount=21

as for weapons you can pick up a used glock for around $400 they are reliable and shoot well. I prefer AR's because they are useful for defense and hunting, but if you wanted to go cheap you can pick up a used AK for around $650 they are reliable, war proving combat weapons, not sure about hunting with one though. If you go with an AR keep it simple, the fewer accessories the better and less things to break/repair/wear out. as for all guns you own keep extra parts, again to be cheap post listings on craigslist that you are wanting to buy old, used, even damaged guns of whatever you are looking to keep parts for. even letting pawn shops/gun repair shops know that you are interested in broken/damaged guns of a certain type will prove worthwhile. that's why I use glock's and AR's, virtually all AR parts are interchangeable with each other in a giving caliber and some parts no matter what caliber. same thing with glocks, I have a 17c/19c and 26 (for ccw) and a 31c for the nasty situations. the majority of parts for glocks are not interchangeable except for the magazines of the same caliber, however there are a lot of these on the market and as people trade up for new models older generations become cheaper and since gen 1 slides will fit a gen 4 of the same model you save money, though the gun will look even uglier, it will work.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
If you can cook what you kill you're half way there, add staples (rice, potatoes) tomato sauce and juice, quick oats for breakfast and education, you really need to read the threads here to learn.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts