Fruits,
Coffee
Salt
Ladies items,

What are some of the thing you have ?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Pretty much anything the BATF has jurisdiction will be good for bartering. Also google the first 100 things to disappear in a disaster - just about everything on that list will be good to trade.

Fish hooks, needles, TP, etc. all come readily to mind.

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,848 Posts

·
Registered
21,805 Posts
Barter items in a nut shell.

1. Things to eat.
2. Things that ease pain or heal sickness. (painkillers, vitamins, alcohol)
3. Things that everyone is used to having available. (TP, bleach, batteries)

·
Rational Being
1,976 Posts
Gotta love the classic "do a search, idiot" remarks. That's very helpful. Anyway...

Barter items. Hmm. First things that come to mind:
- Seeds, fertilizer, gardening equipment, live plants.
- Food, whether home-preserved or store-bought.
- Medications, personal hygiene items, medical supplies.
- Batteries, bullets, clothes, winter wear, shoes.

Another thing to consider are services. Know how to mend, darn, quilt, patch, knit, or sew? Your services could be handy even in modern times. Know how to build a house, install a wood stove, fish local streams, hunt edible mushrooms, weave a basket, trap/snare wild game? Maybe you're good with kids - every parent needs a sitter sometimes.

Not to be mean, but bartering in a post apocalyptic world is very unlikely to happen. Not impossible, just not likely. Why not take the bartering mindset and try using it NOW while things are relatively normal? You'll get a good idea of what people around you are into, because let's face it... you won't know what you need until you get out there and find out what people want.

For example, in my locale there are no honey stalls. People might have a hive or two for personal use, but I've yet to see honey for sale at a farmer's market or road-side stand. People around here WANT honey. They are willing to pay good money for it because right now WalMart is about the only place you can get it. Honey would be a very good barter item. Zucchini, beans, and corn are not good barter items because everyone and their brother grows them.

Get out there and start pounding the pavement/dirt/whatever to find a niche. Then fill it. Fill many. Then come back and let us know what you found, because I'm sure we'd all LOVE to see a thread about someone taking initiative rather than asking open-ended questions that have been answered a thousand times over already. Come on. I mean it. Off the duff.

Good luck. :)

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
Rolls of TP, bottles of booze, tooth brushes, coffee, chocolate...

Almost anything depending on the nature of the SHTF scenario.

Certain things will be standards tho...

·
Registered
358 Posts
i currently exchange homemade wine (one bottle) for a variety of things...
3-4 dozen eggs (i do this with a neighbor and my sister)
or
10 lb. sugar (handful of friends at work)
or
a case of clean/de-labeled wine bottles (no one has taken me up on this one yet, but i give my wine loving friends this option, as they run no less than 14$per case new, and delabelling them (recycled) can be a b**tch)

·
Not playing games
1,332 Posts
Gotta love the classic "do a search, idiot" remarks. That's very helpful. Anyway...
Was just thinking the same thing.
I guess the old-timers have seen it all.

What bugs me about the search thing is how many Necro-threads get brought back up again. Just today, in fact.

anyhow.... I don't get anything for Barter. Just over-stock certain things for myself. Whatever I don't need will be Barter.
That, and the PMs, of course. ;)

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
Individual cans of beans. Several times here, I've heard some folks claim, "When the SHTF, I'll be trading you a can of beans for your ounce of gold". So, just in case they're right, it might be a good idea to have some extra cans set aside for those great gold deals. :rolleyes: :D:

·
Registered
477 Posts
One of the things that we are laying in: 1 lb cannisters of propane for camp stoves. They are cheap and store forever. We currently have about a dozen. They'd be excellent trading materials. I pick up a few every month.

In Katrina and Andrew (and any other SHTF event you read about) propane, batteries, and ice were in high demand. Along with plywood, but that's a little hard to store. Maybe wind-up flashlights and radios? Small solar panels? If you are rich, lay in a rack of 20# propane bottles.

Aside from that, OTC pain meds and hooch store well and would always be good choices. I'm not a drinkin' man myself, but I could see that people would readily trade for a bottle of whiskey or vodka. Even if they didn't want to drink it, you could save it to barter, or use it medicinally.

Silver rounds and junk silver are always welcome. :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I wouldn't use any food for bartering. That needs to be saved for yourself and you don't want people assuming you have an abundance of it. I would say trade the comfort items (like cigarettes and liquor), and keep the necessities to yourself.

·
Banned
3,889 Posts
Lots of stuff behind the counter in a gas/service station will probably be great barter items.

Lighters, cigarettes, batteries, etc.

Small, concealable, and highly mobile.

·
Registered
21,805 Posts
What bugs me about the search thing is how many Necro-threads get brought back up again. Just today, in fact.
That's the problem with some people, they can't be made happy.

If you make a new post, its "why don't you use search", if you then search and post for more information on that thread, you're necroposting......

·
Registered
21,805 Posts
I wouldn't use any food for bartering. That needs to be saved for yourself and you don't want people assuming you have an abundance of it. I would say trade the comfort items (like cigarettes and liquor), and keep the necessities to yourself.
I've never really understood this line of reasoning. If you have something worth trading for, then you already have something of value. If someone is willing to kill you for your valuables, does it really matter what those valuables are?

Reactions: MIL-DOT

·
Forum Administrator
16,845 Posts
Seeds
eggs
fishing supplies

are at the top of my list

1 - 20 of 27 Posts