Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Gott Mit Uns
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crazy day. Woke up to the SWAT team in my yard. 4 choppers over head. I did not have my radio on but my brother in law who is with IMPD called me to let me know they were setting a perimeter around my house:D: A bank about 50 yards from my house was robbed by a man with an AK. He ran through my yard into my creek and woods. Those of you in Central Indiana saw the news.
I think the worst part of the event was that it made my wife realize what I do when I put on the uniform and leave. Seeing me grab my vest and shotgun out of the car and take off to guard the East end of my property hit home a little hard with her. Truth be told it hit me a little bit when the chopper said the dogs were flushing him my way and I thought about the realities of the situation. My shotgun against an assault riffle, level IIA vest against 7.62x39:(
The day ended with him getting shot West of my location after a shoot out. Not sure if we got him or self inflicted. I am fairly new to LEO to all my brothers who have been through things like this with worse outcomes, God bless you. Any tips on talking about it with my wife? Being on our property and so close to home. She had gotten Coffee next door at Starbucks for teacher appreciation day about 5 min before this happened. He stole a cell phone from somebody there and she could have been in the middle of it. If any LEO from IMPD are here outstanding job. Your SWAT team was amazing. For a short time they thought he was in a house about 200 yards from me and had to assault it. Any advice for talking to the wife would be appreciated Sarge, Will?

·
The Power of III
1,365 Posts
Glad you are all okay and nothing went bad for you or your family.

Know that we are all different in how we process things like this. As a woman, I would feel comforted by being assured in conversation that you are well trained, take precautions every day, stay aware, and have a good group of guys that back you up.

But all women are different - she might cope best by not dealing with it or not wanting to think or talk about it; or she might be the type that wants lots of details and re-assurance - only you know your wife the best in this regard.

It also might make her think more about how she could take care of herself at home if you weren't there - and this would provide the opportunity for you both to talk through situations and how they would best be handled.

Even though we tell people all the time not to walk around in "white", truth is a lot of people do and really don't thing most things can or will ever happen to them, until they do or happen to someone very close to them. Then it's a wake-up call.

·
Banned
13,890 Posts
. He stole a cell phone from somebody there and she could have been in the middle of it.
Hope you made an arrest for that!
Wow, good response on your behalf. Your family should be proud of you.
Numnuts with an AK... yet more fuel for the 2A-hating crowd.

·
Time to hit reset
25,656 Posts
Glad to hear everything is alright. I caught a glimpse of what happened last night on the news, didnt know it was that close to you.
As far as what to tell the better-half, thats a hard one, I think we all realize that its a pretty cruel world at times, and when something like that hits close to home, where you literally have a front-row seat...hard to say what you would do unless you've actually been thru it.

·
Happy to be here!
5,614 Posts
I'm also glad you are all okay and nothing went bad for you or your family.

My wife and I kid around about how she visualizes me at work. She pictures me driving around in my patrol car, periodically directing traffic or taking a burglary past report. Once in a while we will be watching the news, and I'll say something like, "Hey, there's the guy I arrested!" She doesn't want to hear that, and gets upset if I continue talking about the case. It bursts the imaginary safety bubble she has around me at work. I've learned to STFU about work with her.

Unfortunately, like you, I've been involved with some high risk situations/ arrests that occurred while I was off duty, and with my family. I wasn't looking for trouble. To the contrary, I avoid trouble if at all possible while with my family. Like your situation, trouble found us.

The best advice I can give is to be supportive of your family’s concerns and issues. Assure them that you will always take care of her and the kids. Take this opportunity to debrief with the family concerning what happened, what went right, what could have been done better, and reiterate general rules on how each family member should handle a violent situation or crime in progress. Don't embellish the issue with bravado, just trade basic solutions/ plans.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
glad everything turned out ok. You have any cover at all?

Reactions: jkc

·
Gott Mit Uns
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
glad everything turned out ok. You have any cover at all?
My seven year old vest:rolleyes: with a massive Walnut tree for back up:D: I was also on the top of a ridge. From hunting I know that the change in elevation would make it harder on somebody who is an untrained shooter.:thumb: Thanks Dwind. Kevin. If I remember from our chats you are LEO also. Am I right?

·
Happy to be here!
5,614 Posts
Two thing to think about.

You were out-gunned. Get a rifle if you don't have one.

If it did turn into a shooting between you and the bank robber, would arriving cops be able to redily identify you as a friendly?

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
My seven year old vest:rolleyes: with a massive Walnut tree for back up:D: I was also on the top of a ridge. From hunting I know that the change in elevation would make it harder on somebody who is an untrained shooter.:thumb: Thanks Dwind. Kevin. If I remember from our chats you are LEO also. Am I right?
Nope. Security puke.

Reactions: jkc

·
Gott Mit Uns
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Two thing to think about.

You were out-gunned. Get a rifle if you don't have one.

If it did turn into a shooting between you and the bank robber, would arriving cops be able to redily identify you as a friendly?
Actually that is why I had a shotgun. IMPD most of their street guys have shotguns. As I did not have the same tactical ch. I was not in communication with them. A potential problem as the initial description was close to my looks. My vest is brown with Sheriff on the front and back. I also had my badge clipped to my belt with my duty gun and ammo. I threw on a baseball hat with Sheriff star logo on it, more to keep the rain of my glasses. Had on my Sheriff black and white nomex patrol gloves, same thing more for the grip from the rain. I figured the more stuff that said I was a good guy the better. I figured they were looking for a bad guy with an assault riffle, so my shotgun would be the best bet.:thumb:

·
American fearmaker
14,248 Posts
I have friends who work at Indianapolis Metropolitan P.D. Theyr're a married couple who met while on the job and single. IMPD is a great bunch of people. I went over there one day to watch their range training and see how they do things. It was fun looking over their practice sessions and information sources. I was at their Eagle Creek Range facility. Most of their shooting scenarios are based off of previous shooting scenarios that their officers have been through and survived. So the basis of their firearms program is a manual with several pages detailing a certain individual shooting incident and actually using an officer who survived that incident. It is very impressive to see a police training staff manual that is about 8 inches thick and knowing that's just one of many of their reference books actually based off of real and local police incidents. They are a well trained department which is what often gives a cop the survival difference.

Just so you know... about your wife... it is she who will have to make her own decisions about this incident. Too bad it had to happen so close to home. Many years ago, I had a minor incident where I ended up some blood on my uniform. It wasn't even my blood or blood from any deliberate violent act. I think that the blood came from a person hurt real bad in a car wreck. The girl to whom I was married in those days came unglued when she saw the blood on me. I think it scared her too bad. Shortly after that she and I went to divorce court and went our separate ways. While we were parting she openly admitted that she did not want to get the divorce but she could not remain married to a cop because of all the danger she now knew was out there. Any way, most wives will either adjust in a healthy fashion and only a very small percentage can't adjust. The girl that I am presently married to is a police dispatcher. Long story but the girl I'm married to now came from Carmel, Indiana, and had been a dispatcher over there. Bet you know right where Carmel is, don't you? Any way, she and I got involved and then got married and she became a dispatcher over here to be with me. That's how I ended up knowing the IMPD officers, through my wife. The best thing to do is give her time, maybe have the wife of a more senior officer that you respect talk to her to counsel her a bit and keep re-inforcing in her that no matter what you love her. Make damn sure that every night, as you go to work, that the last words she hears from you are, "I love you." And I do mean every night.

·
Registered
215 Posts
One point to make with your wife- yes, the job is sometimes scary, BUT, this happened right at home, and would have come into your lap whether you were a working LEO or a 2A civilian. The training and gear might have saved your life, certainly made you and your family safer than they otherwise would have been.
She will have to process this for herself, you will have to listen, and get her to talk about how she feels, what she fears.
Communication is the key.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.