Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Do you smell that?
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I logged onto my bank today to do a lil banking and this was the message that popped up.

FDIC Information for Peoples First Community Bank, Panama City, FL
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On December 18, 2009, Peoples First Community Bank, Panama City, FL was closed by the Office of Thrift Supervision. Subsequently, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) was named Receiver. No advance notice is given to the public when a financial institution is closed.

All deposit accounts, excluding certain brokered deposits, have been transferred to Hancock Bank, Gulfport, MS. For more information on Hancock Bank, visit us at www.hancockbank.com or call 1.800.726.0920.

To speak with customer service about your Peoples First Community Bank accounts, please call 1-800-624-9699. For automated account information:

24-Hour Telephone EZAccess: 1-800-992-4940
24-Hour MC/Visa Telephone Access: 1-888-222-0213
24-Hour Lost or Stolen Visa Check Card: 1-800-472-3272
24-Hour Lost or Stolen MC/Visa Credit Card: 1-800-241-7547

The FDIC has assembled useful information regarding your relationship with Peoples First Community Bank. Besides a checking account, you may have Certificates of Deposit, a business checking account, a Social Security direct deposit, and other relationships with the institution.

Please select the link below to read more about this event:

FDIC Bank Closing Information for Peoples First Community Bank

Online service will remain available.

This was the first notice I received, I dont know what to do. What bank is safe? Im not going to use one of the "Too big to fail" banks. I wonderif all this crap is simply a Govt led consolidation of money, into banks they control. Whatever it is, it cant be good.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
My bank has not closed, yet. I don't know if they will or not. But one of the clerks told me, she keeps 3 months worth of money hidden at home. That week I started taking money out of my savings acount and buying silver and storing money in hidy holes around the property. I don't have lots of money, so that makes it more important to protect what little I do have.

·
Do you smell that?
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Do you smell that?
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry about the hassle for you, but look at their last quarter's statement.
http://banktracker.investigativerep...ida/panama-city/peoples-first-community-bank/
All I can say is WOW, thanks for the link. This may sound stupid, but I never considered my bank to be in trouble. It never even occured to me. I thought they were a small local bank that should be isolated from all the stuff going on. Stupid I know, and there was no other reason for it other than the "it cant happen to me". Which is very out of character for me, I always assume the worse and prepare for it, just the what I do.

Fortunately this hasnt had any real effect on me, I dont have any huge deposites or other financial instruments to worry about. Its just the principal of the matter. Especially since the Gooberment keeps saying things are improving.

And just to highlight how bad things are, I had a couple pieces of furniture left over after remodeling my daughters rooms, things we didnt need. I listed these things on CL, and in a matter of minutes, I mean minutes people were calling. One guy drove over 50 miles for one of the items. He lost his job with a company he worked at for over 11 years on the Friday before Christmas.

Times are hard and getting worse, I fear far worse.

Reactions: Haffenreffer

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I went through this about a year ago. monday morning everything was fine, new name that it. i dont think anybank is safe. IMO, if they shut down, it will not matter anyway.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I bought my diciest neighbor's huge coin collection from his left behind widow. Pretty good backup money. Silver and gold is better than plastic!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts