Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey been searching around the web for these had little luck, anyone know some links / info about the light ballistic vests (I think the use troops in the middle east use them) thanks!

·
Uncle Sam's Bitch
346 Posts
The vest I had in the desert was far from "light"

IIRC, each plate weighed about 9 to 10lbs, then there were the smaller side plates at around 3lbs each, PLUS the vest itself. I'd say total it was about 30lbs (not including the vest with the gear on it). The plates themselves were rated for "7.62 AP" (as printed on the plate, presumably 7.62x54

·
legendary ape
471 Posts
remember tho

uncle sam sezz, 'if you want body armor you might be a terrorist'

actully they will just assume your a terrorist, you won't be given the benifet of doubt. I hate to have any in my possesion and have a LEO see it

be careful dude

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmm ok thanks for the info, I must have been misinformed! I was on the mindset that there was a light vest (not plate) that could take small arms fire, thanks tho!

·
Anarchy: the way to be
683 Posts
I don't know where/if you can get it but Dragon Skin by Pinnacle Armor has beaten the militaries current armor in every head to head test and only weights about 5.5 lbs per panel. Rumor has it that it costs about $6000 for a vest.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Dragonskin Body armor is by far the best. It is light weight and it conforms to your body. Officially, the army rejected it and gave it a bad rap. Unofficially, some of us military guys have warn it in combat. The reason that it got a bad rap was that the military spent millions of dollars researching the interceptor body armor that it has now, and it would called out as a waste if they ditched it.

I have three Dragonskin vests. They cost $5,000 a pop. It is well worth it.

·
HANDY MAN
1,472 Posts
The vest I had in the desert was far from "light"

IIRC, each plate weighed about 9 to 10lbs, then there were the smaller side plates at around 3lbs each, PLUS the vest itself. I'd say total it was about 30lbs (not including the vest with the gear on it). The plates themselves were rated for "7.62 AP" (as printed on the plate, presumably 7.62x54

Camp Phoenix huh? I spent a lot of time in Kabul. When were you there?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had a buddy go to Tikrit for 1 year. He said that people did not wear the Dragon body armor because of what the actual armor was made of-clay/kevlar. He said the clay trauma plates stopped bullets and shrapnel, but tended to powder or shatter when hit, and if any of it made it into your system due to any major trauma or horrific wound it would cause years of suffering by wandering around the body. He also said that you don't want to be caught with kevlar when your on fire or taking any fire that is flame based ie napalm, phospherous as kevlar is plastic and causes horrible burn wounds when it melts. Not sure how accurate all this is, but its what was told to me.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I had a buddy go to Tikrit for 1 year. He said that people did not wear the Dragon body armor because of what the actual armor was made of-clay/kevlar. He said the clay trauma plates stopped bullets and shrapnel, but tended to powder or shatter when hit, and if any of it made it into your system due to any major trauma or horrific wound it would cause years of suffering by wandering around the body. He also said that you don't want to be caught with kevlar when your on fire or taking any fire that is flame based ie napalm, phospherous as kevlar is plastic and causes horrible burn wounds when it melts. Not sure how accurate all this is, but its what was told to me.
Kevlar is put in Emergency Responders gear to withstand high heat. I have never heard of it melting when hit by fire. It might be a nice experiment my men could do on a couple unserviceable vests.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
3a is mostly pistol rounds ,4 is added on ceramic trama plates for rifle rounds like 308 and 30-06,theres also plastic plates being used for a 4 rateing ,iwi in isreale sells them,any one know what the older military vest are capable of stopping ,there heavy and all kelvar but theres no rateing on them,

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I've seen a video of three nimrods testing a vest with a 9mm, I hesitate to post it or a link because it results in a vest failure...
Vests are life savers but should never be consideded bullet proof, rather bullet resistant...

·
Wanderer
3,269 Posts
You can go to Point Blank or Second Chance web sites for listings of ratings and what they will stop. I would not want anything less than Level II, and have worn Level III and IIIa vests for years on the job. Most police type vests come with a "trauma plate" over the sternum, which mostly serves to distribute impact force over a larger area, not to increase the level of protection. Armor plates are available, though that do increase levels of protection, but also add considerable weight.
As for the "clay" getting introduced into a wound, I can't see that happening unless the armor is penetrated by a projectile, in which case the clay will not do as much damage as the projectile. It's actually ceramic, anyway, and only breaks up after repeated hits. And no, kevlar is not flameproof, but requires very high temps to melt. If your kevlar vest is melting, that's the least of your problems.
IRRC, the Vietnam-era vests were mostly for protection from shrapnel, not direct hits by bullets. They are better than nothing, though.

·
Uncle Sam's Bitch
346 Posts
So he was just the badass commando who didn't wear armor? Not one soldier I knew ever had issues wearing their gear.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts