Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to attach a simple ballistic chart for folks to use when comparing different firearms. seems like there are a number of people wanting to buy their first gun and not having much of an idea of the performance of different calibers relative to each other.

so if you can open it, maybe it'll help

Attachments

·
Only Half Human
533 Posts
Thanks. You know this could set off some pretty heated debates. Such as I would rather have the higher muzzle velocity and higher foot/lbs of the .357 over the grain size/lower muzzle velocity of the .45

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
The 10mm info is wrong, 10mm average range is from 520 to 770 ft/lbs, the Doubletap 180gr XTP I carry hits with 728 ft/lbs at 1350fps. ( I don't carry it to tickle an assailant now do I?) I had to add a stiffer recoil spring in my Glock 29 to shoot it b/c it kicked like a mule and frankly it hurt it was also was beating the hell out of the gun at first but now its no worse than a sub compact .45. For concealed carry its all about 1st shot stop.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, debate is inevitable and good. also i just wanted to give some basic starting numbers.

Yes, these numbers are only a small sample of many different loads as any experienced gun owner knows. i picked medium values from the tables that federal has on their website.

one more idea is invite others to add to this list , in what ever way their interest leads. so i added some basic notes and reattached it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
the problem i see with this chart, it doesnt say what type of weapon it is fired from, as in .44 mag will have alot more energy and velocity from a lever action rifle than from a revolver with a 6" barrel. if a barrell length was listed with the numbers i would have a much better understanding if i was just looking at the chart.

not saying i do not understand ballistics, as i do, but anyone just looking at this chart to buy a gun could have false hopes.

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
the problem i see with this chart, it doesnt say what type of weapon it is fired from, as in .44 mag will have alot more energy and velocity from a lever action rifle than from a revolver with a 6" barrel. if a barrell length was listed with the numbers i would have a much better understanding if i was just looking at the chart.

not saying i do not understand ballistics, as i do, but anyone just looking at this chart to buy a gun could have false hopes.
Not necessarily so. Ammo made for short barrelled handguns uses powder that is intended to be completely burned in the 6" or so barrel. Putting that same ammo into a 20" barrel will not increase the velocity and in many cases will slow the bullet down as compared to the shorter/intended barrel length..

Allan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts