Survivalist Forum banner

Balancing Skill Sets & Brick or Stone Oven...

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  EdD270 
#1 ·
My wife and I are conducting an audit of our preps and our skill sets and it appears that we are a bit out of balance. In an effort to correct this we are trying to work on post-SHTF food storage and prep.

One area that will need to be a key staple is bread, for which one needs wheat, a hand grinder, oil, water, yeast and a means of baking.

I remember as a child up North seeing lots of brick or stone ovens though in the deep South I don't seem to see these.

Has anyone built one? Do you use it? How has it worked out? What is your fuel of choice? Pictures or plans? Have you baked bread in it? Did you use brick or stone?

What do you think of this? (The one big downside would be the hordes drawn to the sweet smell of baking though the remoteness of the intended location would be a big plus in this regard...)...

#2 ·
Thanks very much, Dilligaf, for the helpful video and for pointing me in the right direction.

BTW, the whole bread baking from scratch thing (to make it taste god and be nice and fluffy, and nutritious at the same time) is a heck of a lot more difficult than it appears at first...

#4 ·
Don't forget simple flat breads too. They don't use nearly the fuel that loaves do and can be cooked on a griddle over a fire of any kind. I have plans for a wood fired baking oven and a tandoor both. I just haven't gotten around to building them yet. The big problem with the baking oven is that it uses an aweful lot of wood. Of course, you can plan your entire meal, or maybe two, around one firing of it. A good beehive oven will hold high heat for hours. You could bake bread, then roast meat or whatever then simmer a pot or bake a cassarole. Looks like it'd have a bit of a learning curve, but no time like the present to master it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.