Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you want something that is easy to make with storage food, and that kids will love, then "Baked Oatmeal" is for you. I would eat it more, but when I bake it I can't stop eating it and I definitely don't need to gain any more weight.

3 cups rolled wheat or rolled oats or rolled 9-grain
3/4 cup of sugar or honey or molasses or evaporated cane sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon or vanilla, etc.
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup milk or soy beverage or Almond milk
2 tbsp. butter or olive oil or coconut oil
2 eggs, beaten

I often add ground up flax, sesame, pumpkin, and sunflower seeds. Also, I sometimes add one or two cups apple sauce or 2 large apples, blended or canned or frozen pumpkin (Use pumpkin pie spice.), my favorite, or pineapple, or canned apricots or peaches. I have tried all these with much success.

Bake at 350 degrees for 40--45 minutes. Cut like a cake and serve with milk on it.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
My Grandmother made a similar dish, using steel-cut oats, maple syrup or brown sugar, half & half, with grated white cheddar cheese, diced onions and bacon on top. Seasoned with salt, pepper and rubbed sage.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
If you want something that is easy to make with storage food, and that kids will love, then "Baked Oatmeal" is for you. I would eat it more, but when I bake it I can't stop eating it and I definitely don't need to gain any more weight.

3 cups rolled wheat or rolled oats or rolled 9-grain
3/4 cup of sugar or honey or molasses or evaporated cane sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon or vanilla, etc.
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup milk or soy beverage or Almond milk
2 tbsp. butter or olive oil or coconut oil
2 eggs, beaten

I often add ground up flax, sesame, pumpkin, and sunflower seeds. Also, I sometimes add one or two cups apple sauce or 2 large apples, blended or canned or frozen pumpkin (Use pumpkin pie spice.), my favorite, or pineapple, or canned apricots or peaches. I have tried all these with much success.

Bake at 350 degrees for 40--45 minutes. Cut like a cake and serve with milk on it.
This sounds delicious and easy to make. What size pan do you bake it in, I am not a good judge of such?

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
This sounds delicious and easy to make. What size pan do you bake it in, I am not a good judge of such?
Don't know what Idaho Survivalist uses, but Grandma used and I do the same 10-inch Griswold No.8 cast iron deep-dish pan with lid, same as used for cornbread. I lay my bacon slices to cover the bottom of the pre-heated pan, pour in the oatmeal or cornbread batter, sprinkle a cup of diced onions and 1/2 cup of white New York or Vermont cheddar cheese over the top and bake.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I had a big box of oatmeal on hand for a couple of years I like oatmeal but just don't like to bother with it. The baked oatmeal just requires one preparation and provides for several breakfast meals. I ran out of milk so this morning I placed a good helping of baked oatmeal in a bowl, microwaved it about 15 seconds then topped it with a couple of scoops of vanilla ice cream, yummm!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had a big box of oatmeal on hand for a couple of years I like oatmeal but just don't like to bother with it. The baked oatmeal just requires one preparation and provides for several breakfast meals. I ran out of milk so this morning I placed a good helping of baked oatmeal in a bowl, microwaved it about 15 seconds then topped it with a couple of scoops of vanilla ice cream, yummm!
That sounds terrible...:rolleyes::D::thumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts