Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
34,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
https://www.tnfarmbureau.org/pennies-bags-water-make-flies-flee

need 4 pennies. :)

"So how does a plastic bag filled with water drive flies away you may ask? Some have said it magnifies the pennies resembling another insect’s eyes, scaring the fly away, while others say the clear liquid looks like the surface of a body of water, which the flies perceive as a place they don’t want to land. The best explanation is simple light refraction going through the bag of water that confuses the housefly. If you will remember your biology from days in school, a housefly has large complex eyes made up of thousands of simple eyes that don’t move or focus. The fly bases his movement by light and the refracted light coming through the water in the plastic bag confuses the fly causing him to move on to a place that is easier on the eyes."

·
LEGAL citizen
15,269 Posts
It's been going around for years. It's never been proven, but it hasn't been disproved either. The thought behind it is that the light refraction is what does it. If that's true, hanging wrinkled up aluminum foil would work too and probably better since you would have more movement... unless it's the fact that the light bends, then you could hang prisms (would be prettier too).

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
It's been going around for years. It's never been proven, but it hasn't been disproved either. The thought behind it is that the light refraction is what does it. If that's true, hanging wrinkled up aluminum foil would work too and probably better since you would have more movement... unless it's the fact that the light bends, then you could hang prisms (would be prettier too).
It has been throughly disproven in several locations on several occasions.

1st hand testament.

·
Retired Army
5,545 Posts
I walked into a Mom and Pop store down here in Louisiana that had theses things everywhere. I asked the lady what the hell they were and she told me they keep the flies out...while she was sitting there with a fly swatter swatting at the 400 flies buzzing all around her.

I sarcastically asked her how that was working for her and she said something to the effect of "They work great!".

And, that earns her the "Double Face Palm".:thumb:

·
Retired Army
5,545 Posts
He did say that the bag had to hang in direct sunlight. So inside a building would not be a fair test.
The store I went to had them inside, outside, in the shade and in the sun. There was hardly a spot that did not have one. I think that all bases were covered and still, "NO Cigar". They were obviously not doing a durn thing.

Al

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I HATE flies! I tried this last year by the main door of the house, with a great deal of skepticism, and it seemed to cut down on the filthy things coming in. It went from ten or fifteen a day to two or three. Up until about a week ago, flies were not bad this year. I was just thinking about putting up another bag. I am still a bit skeptical but it is easy, non-toxic and did seem to help so am going to try it again.

·
Retired Army
5,545 Posts
It is pretty expensive to try. 4 cents, plus the price of the bag and the water.
Yeah, at least you wouldn't be out a fortune if you tried it and, you could recover the 4 cents if it didn't work.

Al

·
Banned
9,921 Posts
I think I remember mythbusters trying this, and if anything the flies where attracted to the bags of water.

Seriously, I think one of the things preppers really need to learn is how not to be so gullible. I guess once you open your mind up to the prospect of the end of civilization you tend to let a lot of other crap in too.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
34,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I can imagine that I am a fly. With compound eyes having hundreds of faceted images being projected onto my fly retina. Then having a dazzling array of flashing strobing lights of different colors and intensities flashing into my compound eyes.

I would fly away until my senses were no longer overwhelmed.

it would work on me. I can't believe a fly is better then me. I am at least the equal of a fly!

·
Retired Army
5,545 Posts
Well, I can imagine that I am a fly. With compound eyes having hundreds of faceted images being projected onto my fly retina. Then having a dazzling array of flashing strobing lights of different colors and intensities flashing into my compound eyes.

I would fly away until my senses were no longer overwhelmed.

it would work on me. I can't believe a fly is better then me. I am at least the equal of a fly!
It wouldn't work on me. If I were a fly I would be like all other flies and be seeking out the nastiest smelling crap I could find (or, a paper plate full of picnic food) and, pennies in a bag of water be damned, full speed ahead!

Biggest decision of the day would be , Turd, road kill or, Hot Dog? Hmmmm? Decisions, decisions.:confused:

Al

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.