Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Monday morning I woke after a series of bad storms went through. No power! At first I did what most people do. I sat in my chair and waited for it to come back on. By 11:00 am it was still off so I walked over to the neighbors house and he said he was out as well and that there were trees down all over the county. Went down the road and saw several downed trees and one power pole on the ground.

So I changed the oil in my Honda 3000 watt generator and filled with fresh gas. It started and is running fine. We had about 2 gallons of water in the fridge so Im not starting big Generator until this afternoon. As of now fridge and freezer are good and Im on this computer running on Honda power. Supper tonight will be on the Weber grill and camp stove. A call to the power company revealed that south of us got pounded pretty bad and most of the power crews are down there working. It will be thursday before we have power again. This will be a good test of the new Generac Propane Generator. I should only need to run it for 10 minutes or so to fill some water cans and give us each a shower. I have not had to leave for anything as our preps have us completely covered. Ill have an update this afternoon after we set up and test the new Genny. One other thing , I was able to monitor the weather channel on my FRS radio on the emergency band. I was pretty happy about that . Kingfish

·
Registered
125 Posts
Nice work. It is a grand feeling to be prepared when things go wrong. Let me know how the propane Generator works out. My friend is having one delivered this week.

·
Banned
6,367 Posts
Glad no one was hurt!It's nice knowing you are prepped and thanks for posting,it shows us that prepping is a good idea!

·
Registered
944 Posts
You are one of the smart ones to have a lid on before it hits. In Illinois there was over 800,000 with no electric. Trees, wires down, smashed cars, houses, etc.
Last storm we had here only lasted approx 1hr, and people are still cutting up trees from a month ago. We didn't have power for 2 days, and used the genny only for refrigerator and night lights. Used a few batteries for the camp lanterns, but also were locked and loaded to repel boarders. No problems here. Wife cooked everything on a gas grill(LP) and we have a portable that went next door to my neighbors. The gas stations were closed, and all business' for both days. just refilled my LP tank and neighbor got each of us a spare for future. Good luck.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Doesn't sound like TSHTF, at least not for you. Of course if you were unprepared then that would most likely be a different story.

·
Bread Baker
3,255 Posts
Not trying to hi-jack, but we got part of that storm down here in WV. It started around 6 PM. Heavy Rain, Lightning, Thunder, High Wind.. you name it. Power flickered numerous times. Lasted until 1 AM or so. Glad to hear your preps worked out.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, here we are on Wednesday , Power still out . We decided against running the Propane generator with no transfer switch. We also found out that we did not have the proper coupler to hook up a small tank. Bad Kingfish:upsidedown: Had to beg water from the In laws who still had power:mad: Here we are with this fancy Generac and still missing several vital parts to make it work properly. This goes to show that if you think you have all the ducks in a row having a list and double checking it is important. Test fire, test fire, test fire.

The good news is the Honda is working great. It provides 21.7 amps of power which is running our refrigeration and freezer, computer, coffee maker and we were able to watch the All star game last night.

The bad news is if this would have been the big one we would have been in trouble. Both my wife and I have decided that we are moving getting the Generac on line to the top priority so we are calling the electrician and getting that transfer switch and new Power panel installed next.

I suppose things are fine but I only give us a 5 out of a possible 10 in preparedness . Not being able to pump water which is one of my main concerns was not met.

This was a repo house and many problems have to be fixed like siding, insulation and lots of drywall work. My wife got a hard lesson this week in priorities. No 220 volt ment no shower, no water and no other comforts that go with power. That got the ball rolling on moving the Generator to the top of the list. Signing off for now. Power should be back on for us by tomorrow. Thanks for reading. Now its time to call our Electrician and get him over here. Kingfish

·
Closed for the Season.
15,784 Posts
Hope your power is restored soon. On the subject of using generators it struck me that a problem exists for people with portable generators of getting extension cords from outside to inside. I did some googling to see if anyone else had thought of this and I found a real inexpensive receptacle that could be used to make a wall pass through. Here it is a Amazon.

If you use a receptacle box designed for all ready finished walls you could wire this in so with a standard receptacle inside (do not hook to any household wiring!) that is set in a handy place to plug the things you need powered. The box is weatherproof outdoors but I would recommend you find a wall covered by a roof overhang.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Yea those storms headed south and hit Ohio too. I've got power but my mom's neighborhood is in shambles. Lots of tree damage and power it out.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Power crew is on the pole down here so its just an hour or so now till we are back up and running. I just tore up the honey do list and started my own list. First up new 200 amp service panel and transfer switch. Then I have to pour a small pad for the Generac and get that set in place. Once its wired to the transfer switch I can get it hooked to our propane supply. Yup, just having the stuff here was not enough. I thought it would be easy to hook up and run but it proved to be just a little over my head. I did not want to risk injury or damage to the new unit. I didnt want to do dry wall work any way ha ha ha . Ill be happy to spend the money for that electrician and get this thing wired . Kingfish

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Power is back on , :thumb::thumb: . All 4 of my neighbors have generators and all four did at least as well as we did. That is what good neighbors are for. I helped One of them get his Generator ready(changed out the gas and oil. His was an old Coleman 5,000 watt. It fired right up. My little Honda did great and now everything is back on line and running again. I burned about 6 gallons of fuel since monday morning. I did run it more then I needed since we wanted to watch the All star Game last night . I am getting ready today to pour a pad for my Generac. Ill be going into the city after some concrete mix and some other supplies to get that done. All in all we did fine but I am not happy with my not being able to pump water. I thought I had it covered and was WRONG!!:mad: . There will be no more :sleep: on the job until this situation is fixed. What positives there were:

#1 The Honda 3000 watt did its job keeping the cold storage going. Our freezer is very important to us.

#2 the 7 gallon Aquatainer water jugs worked like 10 :thumb:

#3 Gas consumption is minimal if we run the Honda just enough to keep the freezer cold. I feel I could stretch 60 gallons out for near a month. This would get us time to can the things in our freezer or just cook it.

#4 Toilets flushed fine with lAKE WATER HA HA HA . :thumb::thumb:

#5 We discovered that we were not ready to use our new Propane Generator even though we had some wire and a 100 pound tank. It takes a bit more stuff to run a Guardian series Generac then some wire and a tank.

#6 My FRS two way radio worked like 10 and connected with Local emergency weather channels to let me know we were not in an emp or total shtf scenario.

#7 there were no looters or any bad element hitting any of the homes out here.

#8 last but not least this little test got my wife to admit we needed to finish our generator project before we stain the deck,finish the drywall, paint the back of the house, build shelves, build a dock, soffit, facia, siding and all the other things she had placed in front of getting that Generac hooked up. :thumb:

So for now the crisis is over for us at least. Still many without power here in Michigan and also in other states from this nasty storm. Good luck to any of you who are still under the gun. Kingfish

·
Deus exsisto laus
3,963 Posts
I always like these threads, detailing how people cope with localized emergency situations. This is the most likely SHTF for anyone......and the ways people deal with it is good info to have.

Hope things improve for you, soon.
I agree! I love to hear how prepared people endure, adapt, and overcome ! It's also great that these "mini" shtf's come about to shake down our preps. it reveals holes in our plans. Great job , Kingfish !

·
Registered
426 Posts
Great story, if my power went out id be eating out of cans and would have no power and only stored water, i hate this feeling of bing so far behind. Its been raining like crazy in colorado too, small floods here and there but nothing too crazy yet. Knock on wood!

·
3,649 Posts
i want a great big storm. so far all i have had is a couple of weak thunder storms with a little rain and very small hail. :(

i need to move to somewhere more fun :mad:

:rolleyes:

·
3,649 Posts
hey Kingfish, which model Generac do you have? and where are you putting it in relation to your house? is it a whole house model or one just big enough to take care of the basic things that you need?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts