Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
In a pile of brass
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 10:50 pm tonight, i smelled fresh rain air from my room.... so i thought a window might be open somewhere down stairs....

I went out in the hall to go ownstairs and close the window, only to see my front door (which was locked) standing open, with the rug moved, and rain blowing in....

I quietly went back to my dads room and told him what i saw ans he said i had an active imagination and to go close the door because the wind blew it open.... (Its an old 1/5-2 inch thick solid oak door from the 30's/20's... I doubt it blew open )

This was the WORST time ever for something liek this to happen because today was a range day and all the guns were apart in the basement for cleaning, and i only had my enfield with a spike bayonet to take with me because the .303 is in dry boxes in the basement...

As i was ready to go around the corner at the bottom of my steps i was almost ****ting my pants because there were 3 hall ways coming off the steps, and as soon as i looked down 1, the other 2 halls were facing my back.

I looked aroun the corner and saw nothing, so i turned around right quick to look down the other 2 halls, and saw nothing.

I checked the ground floor and found nothing missing, and only the rug by the door out of place.

The only place i didnt check was the basement, because of so many places for someone to hide, it would be a death trap. So i sent my dog sam down, and she found nothing....

So i am at a loss to what opened an 8 foot tall heavy solid oak door, that im 3/4 sure was locked???

And if it was a person, why is nothing missing???

My dad still thinks im paranoid and the wind blew it open.... so much for his help, i actually got a speech for taking my enfield with me to close it.

***I also learned to never have all your semi auto's and shotguns apart for cleaning, in the basement at the same time.

To sum it up, i have no clue what happened, but i do have a heart that was beating at 800 MPH.

·
In a pile of brass
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you have to figure the wind per square inch on the door. How fast is the wind blowing and you have to figure how the weight is supported by the hinges.
either way, i almost shat myself.... real eye opener.

Just shows how unprepared i am, and how little i know of house clearing.

Well, the door has a pretty sturdy lock, and it didnt blow open when we had the huge wind storm knocking down 70 year old oak trees in my 9th grade year. :(

·
Registered
359 Posts
I live in an old farm house with heavy doors. When the high wind blows the wright way this happens here. Look at the bright side this was a great training exercise for you. And I bet you made a better plan for next time. I know I did.

·
American fearmaker
14,248 Posts
The question is, "Did you LEARN anything?" In other words, do you think that you might want to take some classes where you learn tactics? Might not hurt to read up on how to clear hallways, rooms and buildings.

·
"Not vengence Punishment"
1,280 Posts
You had the right instincts in this. Ok, so the wind blew the door open, could have just as easily been someone there.

You dads instinct was and is wrong. His is what gets people killed.

Being from the city I always err on the side of paranoia. When I get a call from my alarm company I go around the house with gun in hand then I enter the house sweeping it only to find a giant moth flying around.

The saying "better safe than sorry" comes to mind here. You are safe. Your dad, I hate to say, would be sorry.

Keep it up. Don't worry about his scolding you. If it happens again, you do it again. You could just maybe save your families lives because of it.

·
Geronimo!
4,053 Posts
Doors that are properly hung swing with no effort. That's how two ton blast doors may be opened and closed by small women in bomb shelters, etc.

You may have a poltergeist. I'd ditch the traditional weapons and load up with a water cannon full of holy water instead.

I'd go with a Stream Machine personally ... $20.00 bucks plus the hunsky you'd have to slip the priest to bless a few gallons of tap water and you're in business. Say goodbye to those pesky door opening boogie men. No more scary boo boos.

You can go concealed carry with the holy water too ... just pour some in a perfume bottle and slip it into your pocket. That way if you are rounding a corner in the house and you catch the ectoplasmic prankster in the act ... a quick mist of the holy juice and off they go running and screaming back to limbo land.

;)

Reactions: Brad Lee

·
Really?
16,125 Posts
About 10:50 pm tonight, i smelled fresh rain air from my room.... so i thought a window might be open somewhere down stairs.....
You did the right thing......don't worry about Dad, he's seen way more than that.......apparently he has 'spidey sense'....now, when he DOES say something's wrong, it probably is.....the good news is, you have it too.......alot of folks would sleep thru the whole thing.....for you to even notice the change in the air is a good sign.....now, swap the enfield for a handgun and a flashlight........

·
Registered
274 Posts
I also learned to never have all your semi auto's and shotguns apart for cleaning, in the basement at the same time.
That's why I have a strict rule of cleaning only one firearm at a time no matter what I may have taken to the range the day before.

If there is "something" that causes me to get out of bed (a smell, sound, or just that 'feeling') then I check every room in the house and make one lap outside the house, and I'm always armed. Maybe I'm just old and cranky and paranoid. I've never discovered a goblin or zombie or predator or alien.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Doors that are properly hung swing with no effort. That's how two ton blast doors may be opened and closed by small women in bomb shelters, etc.

You may have a poltergeist. I'd ditch the traditional weapons and load up with a water cannon full of holy water instead.

I'd go with a Stream Machine personally ... $20.00 bucks plus the hunsky you'd have to slip the priest to bless a few gallons of tap water and you're in business. Say goodbye to those pesky door opening boogie men. No more scary boo boos.

You can go concealed carry with the holy water too ... just pour some in a perfume bottle and slip it into your pocket. That way if you are rounding a corner in the house and you catch the ectoplasmic prankster in the act ... a quick mist of the holy juice and off they go running and screaming back to limbo land.

;)
Just remember, if working in a tactical team... DON'T CROSS THE STREAMS! :D:

Sorry, I had to...

·
Geronimo!
4,053 Posts
Just remember, if working in a tactical team... DON'T CROSS THE STREAMS! :D:

Sorry, I had to...
LMAO! Unless you happen across the Stay Puff Marshmallow Man - then you cross the streams!

Below is a picture taken on someone's cell phone the night it actually happened ...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.